Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

extremely stubborn bull

• 10-09-2011 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi.
    I have a pedigree bull that im tyring to halter train for the autumn sales. he is unbelievable stubborn. he will stant quiet and let me hold him but just wont move. hes 2yr old now. i even put him behind the tractor today and had to let him go cos he wod of had no claws left. he just plants 4 feet in the ground.
    Ive heard of people using a donkey. is this a success? how would u tie them together?
    Any other ideas greatly appreciated.
    thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

have you some one walking behind him aswell with a stick- not that you are going to batter him with the stick - but if he knows there is some one coming behind him he should move

• Registered Users Posts: 39 wexf0rd

whelan1 wrote: »
    have you some one walking behind him aswell with a stick- not that you are going to batter him with the stick - but if he knows there is some one coming behind him he should move
    Yeah i tried that too. 1 person driving the tractor. 1 person alongside holdin nose ring and 1 behind hitting him along. any other ideas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

get rid of the tractor, walk along side him, get rid of the nose piece also. Nose piece is only for punishment should never be used for leading an animal. Have you let him out with halter on him on his own ? i assume he will eat meal, try a bucket of meal in front of him to get him started or another animal

whelan1 wrote: »
    get rid of the tractor, walk along side him, get rid of the nose piece also. Nose piece is only for punishment should never be used for leading an animal. Have you let him out with halter on him on his own ?
    We havent been pulling to strongely on nose, just letting him know that its there. he will walk no prob with halter on, on his own.
    Ive git lots of bulls leadin but this is the worst ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Can you try walking him somewhere he wants to go, or is likely to want to go, like back to his field or comrades.

• Advertisement

Bizzum wrote: »
    Can you try walking him somewhere he wants to go, or is likely to want to go, like back to his field or comrades.
    Ive tried that too. i put another bulk at the opposite side of the yard in his view but no budge either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

wexf0rd wrote: »
    Ive tried that too. i put another bull at the opposite side of the yard in his view but no budge either

Well, try a Heifer:D!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

If he's stubborn and won't do what ya tell him .........tell him to 'Stay'..:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

You've already answered the question on post No 5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Did you try leading him with a few nuts, just give him a taste first and he should follow the bucket

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭flatout11

if at first you dont suceed try try again...... is he not a bit old at 24 mths for the autumn sales, its usually under 20 mths i thought,
    get rid of the tractor leave him a bit looser on the halter and if you can walk another animal on the inside of him around the yard
    the donkey does work but he is too old to try that route!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭crucamim

You should reason with him. Tell him to look at the situation logically. Tell him that, he does not co-operate a little bit more, you will sell him.

I am sure that your bull is just a little bit misunderstood. You must try to see the good in every bull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

wexf0rd wrote: »
    Hi.
    I have a pedigree bull that im tyring to halter train for the autumn sales. he is unbelievable stubborn. he will stant quiet and let me hold him but just wont move. hes 2yr old now. i even put him behind the tractor today and had to let him go cos he wod of had no claws left. he just plants 4 feet in the ground.
    Ive heard of people using a donkey. is this a success? how would u tie them together?
    Any other ideas greatly appreciated.
    thanks

Last resort of mine is a donkey! Lots of videos on youtube for you to compare with. I had a heifer that lay down when we tried to lead her, the donkey soon cured her when he pulled her across the field!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭gerico

Karen112 wrote: »
    Last resort of mine is a donkey! Lots of videos on youtube for you to compare with. I had a heifer that lay down when we tried to lead her, the donkey soon cured her when he pulled her across the field!:D

you'd want a hell of a strong donkey to lug a 2yo bull around

do you know on second thoughts, save yourself the hassle...... donedeal no halter needed :):D:)

gerico wrote: »
    you'd want a hell of a strong donkey to lug a 2yo bull around

Not entirely, just a very stubborn one that doesn't give in before the bull tires itself.

Karen112 wrote: »
    Not entirely, just a very stubborn one that doesn't give in before the bull tires itself.
    he is a bit old at 2 for that route.....

flatout11 wrote: »
    he is a bit old at 2 for that route.....

True, I suppose. But then the fault is not training him earlier. (Apologies if any offense taken wexf0rd)
    What we always seen work before that heifer mentioned, was starve overnight and then rope in the morning, place feed across the yard. He'd get used of walking next to you, then progress it upwards. That's all that I've ever had to deal with I'm afraid!

Advertisement