Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Pen, Dundalk

Options
  • 10-09-2011 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Has anyone here worked with these before? what's it like? Applying for a job here and just looking for peoples opinions on it. Money seem's to be good but hours aren't.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭annex

My mother always told me, if you can't say anything nice then don't say anything at all ;)

Worked there for a while, company was grand but some of the people I worked with were complete gits!
    If you can get a job from them then take it, there aren't that many out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

For goodness sake! If you need a job then take one, if you get it. IF you get it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

I know of a lady who works there.

It is essentially a call centre - correct? Doing sales calls and iirc they make commission so it can be good, not so good or great depending on how you do etc.

If you feel like it specify what you mean by money is good but hours are not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Just for accuracy: they have their own on-site manufacturing in Dundalk also.

OP might do well to read up on them before any interview, rather than relying on a discussion board. ;)

You are either being interviewed for production or in the call centre ringing customers to make sure the order they sent in is correct and to try and sell them more pens. If its the latter you are doing then you are taken in for an interview and then given a test to see how fast you can type and if you can spot mistakes on an order, its fairly simple tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

Never worked there myself, but as per annex...
    If you can't say anything nice then don't say anything at all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Worked there a long time ago and thought they were grand to work for.

Now is the time to get in as they always take people on before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Fair point on the on-site manufacturing but I would imagine most of what they sell nowadays comes from overseas?

The Guvnor wrote: »
    Fair point on the on-site manufacturing but I would imagine most of what they sell nowadays comes from overseas?

Some pens are made in Dundalk but the majority of them are made in China. The country of origin is usually imprinted on the pen somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Raffo69

I worked there about 5yrs ago & they didnt make any pens at all & as far as I'm aware they still dont (I have friends who work there). They get d pens in blank & print on them.
    The money was crap for doing a 3shift pattern but I wouldn't turn my nose up at it either with xmas coming up. Not the best place I've ever worked. Some not so nice supervisors but I have worked in worse places

• Advertisement

Raffo69 wrote: »
    They get d pens in blank & print on them.

That is what I meant, they assemble not manufacture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

conroym7 wrote: »
    Has anyone here worked with these before? what's it like? Applying for a job here and just looking for peoples opinions on it. Money seem's to be good but hours aren't.
    OP,it is a grand spot to work,good people work there and you will be made to feel at home.It is a real nice feeling to wake up in the morning and have a good place off employment to go too and the NP factory is that.Good luck in you future and take chance's without asking,live hi ok.:pac:
    Yours
    Preacher.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

I worked there for a year in 1995-96 on a swing shift pattern. I loved it actually. The work was messy and frustrating at times but the people were sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 l.w.

Has someone been hired recently?
    There was a job offer as customer service repr, I did the 1st step but then they didn't let me know anything anymore....

Advertisement