Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

13mth old waking up at night

Options
  • 10-09-2011 7:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭

Our 13mth old goes to bed at 7pm every night no problem takes a 7oz bottle and out for the count most nights b4 7.30pm. He wakes up about an hour later lost his dummy and goes back to sleep quickly he is a tosser and turner most of the night my problem is when it comes to 2am and after he wakes up and is wide awake, he stays awake for up to 2.5 hrs :confused:

We sometimes change his nappy and give him a bottle depending on how much hair we have pulled out and match sticks have been used, but still he wont go back to sleep.

I end up taking him out of his cot (yes he is still in our room as "his room" would be on another floor and I dont feel comfortable with that be it right or wrong it is what it is and I'm not changing it until we move to somewhere with two rooms on the same floor) anyway I take him out of his cot and have him in bed with me but he sits up chatting away or lies down beside me but doesnt go back asleep, we end up getting up every day at 6 or 7am.

I have tried putting him to bed later but he still does the same thing, I have feed him till he should burst before he goes to bed but he still wakes up I'm loosing the will to live with this and any suggestions I will weigh up and see if they can help the situation

Oh I also have given him nurofen or calpol incase its his teeth and still he stays away :(

I know for my post that 7pm till around 6am is 11hrs sleep but bare in mind he is awake for 2.5hrs which makes it 8.5hrs sleep and then he has a late morning sleep for 2hrs so in total he is getting about 10.5hrs sleep

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

All I'd recommend is putting him innhis own room but I see from your post that's not possible. My 7.5month old wakes around 2am occasionally too and now he's in his own room he chats away to himself or whinges and falls back asleep. We had the very same problem as you until we moved him. Sorry, I know that's probably what you don't want to hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Splashwoman

Hi,
    I'm a newbie at this boards thing so hope this message turns out ok. I'm kind of in same situation. My little fella is 12 months old and for a while he was being put up to bed at 8pm, he'd fall asleep about half 8 and he'd wake up about 7ish. But lately this has all gone out the window. He's waking up about 5.45 now and last night he was awake for most of the night. We ended up just leaving him to cry himself to sleep. I know it sounds harsh but after trying every other angle we'd no other option. We even had him in bed with us and all he wanted to do was play! He does sleep in another room and we use monitors because I think we were waking him up when he did sleep in our room. Unless he's unwell you should try the approach of letting him cry until he does go asleep. Just keep an eye on him of course. Its hard but it does work. And if it does work don't get all cocky about him sleeping because I guarantee you there'll still be nights where nothing works.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

P.S there is a video on you tube called Go the F**k to sleep. Check it out. Very funny. Might make you feel better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

So I brought him to the doctors (he had a rash so I thought I'd take the opportunity to ask regarding sleeping) this is now my second night of keeping him up until 9pm we are both wrecked

however last night he fell asleep at 9.20pm and had a cry at 10.20pm which he usually would wake up an hour or so after going to bed so no surprises he then slept until 5am OH gave him bottle and nappy change and he went asleep again for 6.10am and then I got up with him at 7.50am he woke up I didnt wake him.

He then had a nap at 11am and doctor advised that I dont leave him longer than an hour so at 11.55am he got woken up and had lunch and has been awake since, at 8.30pm we went up stairs, bath, pj's and bottle and out for the count.

I will give him a nappy change when I go to bed as doctor said he could be waking due to wet nappy so to change him in his sleep an hour or two after his bottle so that he doesnt wake due to wet nappy so fingers crossed and we shall see how it goes

Splashwoman thank you for your post I have heard how great the crying method is but its not just me that makes the decisions and I may not agree with it but would be willing to try it but my OH is a definite no no in a big way so the crying method is a no go

Also regarding the other room if I was to put him in his own room it is on another floor and I just dont feel comfortable doing this, our room is huge (full length of the house) and his cot it down the other end of the room with a slight partition so there isnt any need to put him in the bottom bedroom it is done up as his nursery and all his clothes, toys and travel cot are there but he just sleeps in our room for now, when our rental is up and we move with two room on the same floor he will definitely be in his own space but just not now

lmao at the link :D

You just do whatever feels right for you. Dont get me wrong when i first tried the crying method I thought it was crap but it eventually worked for us. Anyway each kid is different. Same as adults, some people are light sleepers and others can sleep through a thunderstorm.
    I hope you find a solution and just remember next time you're wide awake in early hours of morning there are hundreds of other parents going through the exact same thing.

so not getting cocky but fingers crossed and please dont jinx me but he seems to be sleeping through

brought him to doctor and was told to put him to bed at 9pm and dont leave him sleep longer than an hour for his morning nap and do not give him an afternoon nap which he didnt get anyway

so poor thing is wrecked at 9pm drinks his bottle and is out for the count no different than if he was going to bed at 7pm but he doesnt wake up at stupid o'clock for 2/3 hrs but does wake around 6/7am which is fine with me so getting sleep to some degree

now for the teething as he keeps crying in his sleep and although sleeping through its a very restless one

naps are at 11am until midday and it seems to be working so far so good but nothing is written in stone so fingers crossed this continues

• Advertisement

so hows the little one. Still sleeping ok? hope so

Hey splashwoman

so i have been doing the whole going to bed at 9pm thing for over a week now and so far so good most nights

we have the occasional one where he wakes at 5am but i give a quick nappy change, give him his soother and teddy and lie him back in his cot and hopefully within the hour he is back asleep if by 6am he isnt asleep then i just get up with him and we get on with our morning

when he gets more than an hours nap during the day he tends to wake at 5am some days however the longer nap cant be helped so I'm dealing with it but hey its much better than waking up for 2/3 hours in the middle of the nite

so happy days for now taking it slowing though

thanks for the feedback and for asking how its going

:)

Advertisement