Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Developent Environment on a Mac

Options
  • 10-09-2011 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I've recently purchased a Macbook Air and would like some advice on setting up a dev environment for it.

I'm coming from a background of Windows so had the likes of XAMPP, Netbeans and notepad++.

Does anyone out there do web development and works on a MAC?

If so, can you share the tools that you are using and the experience of programming on them?

I mainly do web development (PHP)

Thanks in advance!

Will
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭boblong

Hey,

Your mac already has Apache and PHP almost ready to go, but if you like you could have a look at MAMP.

For text editors, OSX has vim and emacs by default, but there are other great alternatives like Sublime Text, Textwrangler and a million others.

If you're coming from windows, take a look at Terminal.app and the advantages you could gleam from a command line environment. Remember that you're using a Unix system now and that brings a lot of flexibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,574 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

xampp is running fine on my mba here running lion, but i prefer the standalone installs of mysql/php/apache myself.

as for a text editor i use smultron or text wrangler. both are good and are free.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭cusackd

Server: XAMPP

FTP: Built in file share

Editor: Coda great little editor well worth the dosh so don't crack it.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭stesh

OREGATO wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I've recently purchased a Macbook Air and would like some advice on setting up a dev environment for it.

I'm coming from a background of Windows so had the likes of XAMPP, Netbeans and notepad++.

Does anyone out there do web development and works on a MAC?

If so, can you share the tools that you are using and the experience of programming on them?

I mainly do web development (PHP)

Thanks in advance!

Will

Everything you could possibly need is most likely in MacPorts. once it's installed, you can just run
    port install apache2 php5-suhosin mysql mysql5-server

to install your LAMP (or is that MAMP?) environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

Thanks guys,

I've managed to get MAMP working and it is running fine.

Also, I've set up a VM using Virtual Box to Windows 7 Ultimate so have the best of both worlds where required.

Hopefully I won't need the VM at all, but it's nice to have either way.

Performance wise, I haven't really done anything to strenuous on the Mac yet, so I haven't seen any lag or anything, hopefully it'll keep that way ;)

Thanks for the help. I'm sure I'll have a few more questions as I go.

• Advertisement

vm box will come in handy for testing ie9 and depending how far back you want to go the other IE's too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭yutta

My setup is as follows:

Dropbox set up on server and local machine which syncs/versions/backs-up files automatically.

Komodo Edit for HTML/PHP/Javascript

Firefox/Firebug

VirtualBox for testing IE

MAMP/LAMP/WAMP with manual file transfer is a pain - do it all on the cloud!

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

yutta wrote: »
    My setup is as follows:

Dropbox set up on server and local machine which syncs/versions/backs-up files automatically.

Komodo Edit for HTML/PHP/Javascript

Firefox/Firebug

VirtualBox for testing IE

MAMP/LAMP/WAMP with manual file transfer is a pain - do it all on the cloud!

Thanks yutta! Very helpful.

When you say the manual file transfer is a pain, how would I go about doing it on the cloud? Can you give me some helpful links etc?

sorry, still learning as I go :)

if you're going to do the drop box route i think you'd be better off paying for a github account and save your projects that way but hey that's just me.

actually, you should use git on your mac anyways, they have a great GUI based application.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

If you're going to use Windows as well as OSX, I'd recommend Mercurial instead of Git. Mercurial on Windows is a bit less of a pain than Git and their feature set is similar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭stesh

If you're going to use Windows as well as OSX, I'd recommend Mercurial instead of Git. Mercurial on Windows is a bit less of a pain than Git and their feature set is similar.

But github :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

stesh wrote: »
    But github :(

BitBucket is the same sort of thing, although I will admit, it's not as pretty. I just use it for backing my stuff up although lots of employers look for people who blog and publish code on github et al.

Advertisement