Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tramore Road at 60KMH!!!!!!

• 10-09-2011 7:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭

I'm not an advocate of speeding but driving out
    to Tramore today was like following a funeral cortege!
    55 to 60 kmh was the max' speed that I was doing.
    Now surely I ask did the driver BOTHER
    to even look in their rear view mirror to see the
    thousand cars behind them?

Surely now they should introduce fines for slow or
    inconsiderate drivers!
    I mean this was frustrating beyond belief, I'm sure for everyone!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

Try driving Waterford to Limerick road. Absolutely soul destroying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

kensutz wrote: »
    Try driving Waterford to Limerick road. Absolutely soul destroying.

Its the South Tipp part that is the worse, They wont even pull into the hard shoulder either, Its arrogance of the highest order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭dark_shadow

As frustrating as it might be is 60kph not the speed limit from superquinn to the roundabout on the other ring road????

I for one don't fancy getting penalty points for speeding when I'm doing the speed limit! If people don't like it they can overtake me and they can get the points but I won't be bullied into going above the speed limit for anyone!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

From the other side of Carrick up to Monard/Oola it's an absolute nightmare. The Cashel by-pass is the only chance to overtake some muppets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭jammstarr

Encountered this a couple of times there :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Drop a gear and piss passed the old ladies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

There should be 2 Tramore rds, one for the people who live there and commute to Waterford and the other for Micras.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

Probably me :D I always do the limit on that stretch of road and if people don't like it they can overtake.

I can't afford penalty points on my licence and i'm certainly not going to risk it for a few knob ends riding my back bumper in order to get to their destination 30 seconds earlier :D

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

I think the OP is on about the part where there is a hard shoulder. From the roundabout to tramore where the limit is 80kph. Why would he be giving out about someone doing 60 in a 60 zone at the other side.
    It is fair annoying and is actually quite dangerous when you have people travelling well below the speed limit who don't use the hard shoulder where possible to let others stuck behind overtake. It makes other drivers take stupid risks just to get out from behind. Pure ignorance on behalf of that slow driver. I think they have the mentality of "I pay me tax and insurance so I have every right to drive as I like" bull****.
    I agree with the OP that drivers like that should be punished exactly the same as those caught speeding.

I see there is a bleeper like thingy for bad language haha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭jluv

People driving really slow and hogging the center line does make even the most careful driver take chances to get past them. Would consider myself a careful driver but get frustrated in situations like this..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If you want to get to Tramore quickly take the old road, doing 60 on that seems pretty fast! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

mike65 wrote: »
    If you want to get to Tramore quickly take the old road, doing 60 on that seems pretty fast! :p

And you can do 80 (although youre a little mad to be doing that speed :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Is 60km/h not the speed limit for that road?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

60Km from SuperQuinn to roundabout, 80km from the roundabout to the Maxol station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

I agree that the speed limit is crap from Superquinn to the roundabout but it's one stretch of road and there is nearly always a garda car parked up the little slip road (beside the yard for sale sign) shooting fish in a barrel. I've been followed once by the gardai down that road (for getting a bit carried away) and once was enough for me. I also saw a guy last week inside the kingfisher gym carpark having his details being taken by the gardai for belting down that road.

What drives me mad is the way people drive up your arse, as if you have set your own personal speed limit. If you're going to drive dangerously overtake me and head on and stop acting the muppet flashing lights and waving your arms.

Another ridiculous speed limit is from the milepost out to the slieverue roundabout. It's 60 the majority of the way heading towards town and changes from 60 to 80 about half way heading away from town. And again a lot of drivers seem to think you've set your own personal speed limit.

It's crazy the way drivers think it's okay to tailgate and intimidate other drivers just because they are not driving to their dangerous standards and willing to break the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

cococoady wrote: »
    It is fair annoying and is actually quite dangerous when you have people travelling well below the speed limit who don't use the hard shoulder where possible to let others stuck behind overtake. It makes other drivers take stupid risks just to get out from behind. Pure ignorance on behalf of that slow driver. I think they have the mentality of "I pay me tax and insurance so I have every right to drive as I like" bull****.

Nobody forces anyone to tailgate or overtake. People are responsible for taking their own stupid risks, not the nun driving in front. People have free will.

The 80km/hr speed limit applies to 6km of road. So at 80km/hr it takes 4min 30 seconds, and at 60km/hr it takes 6min.

So, if people have 1min 30 sec to moan on boards.ie, they should have that time to spare on the Tramore road. Just think of it like the angelus, and chill out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,785 ✭✭✭Benimar

Have to agree with the OP in this. I travel this road every day and can't remember the last time I wasn't stuck in a string of traffic doing 60KPH in the 80KPH zone.

I'm not a speed merchant (I'd be happy doing the 80KPH) but it is crazy the amount of people who feel the need to go so slow on a relatively good road. I actually don't know how some of them go as slow as they do (40KPH in some cases) as it actually takes effort to drive that slow!!

Its ok to be stuck behind the 'Micra driver' every so often, but twice a day does wear on the nerves. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Another ridiculous speed limit is from the milepost out to the slieverue roundabout. It's 60 the majority of the way heading towards town and changes from 60 to 80 about half way heading away from town. And again a lot of drivers seem to think you've set your own personal speed limit.

You seem to indicate the limit is different depending on which direction you're going. There is no inconsistency with signage here. There are 2 sets of 60km/h signs in both directions.

As equally frustrating as the drivers tailgating when in the 60 zone are the drivers who don't see the change to 80km/h and remain driving below 60 - probably the same people who do the tramore road at sub 60 speeds. :confused: Even worse are the ones who trundle pass the Rhu Glen at 50 - 60km/h. While the limit was 50km/h there during construction of the bypass it's been back to 100km/h for a long time now. Rant over ;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Carraig Fhearghais

Just Curious... (I do not drive on or even know this road)

1 - is it a speed 'LIMIT' or 'TARGET'?

2 - what is the legal (& motoring etiquette) situation of using the 'hard shoulder' to allow others to pass (as I know many 'hard shoulders' have hazards, inconsistent surfaces & other dangerous obstacles, possibly the one on this road does not)?

:confused:

• Advertisement

1 - is it a speed 'LIMIT' or 'TARGET'?

It's a guidline for people who can't drive fast without being dangerous .

Na its the limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

bkehoe wrote: »
    You seem to indicate the limit is different depending on which direction you're going. There is no inconsistency with signage here. There are 2 sets of 60km/h signs in both directions.

As equally frustrating as the drivers tailgating when in the 60 zone are the drivers who don't see the change to 80km/h and remain driving below 60 - probably the same people who do the tramore road at sub 60 speeds. :confused: Even worse are the ones who trundle pass the Rhu Glen at 50 - 60km/h. While the limit was 50km/h there during construction of the bypass it's been back to 100km/h for a long time now. Rant over ;).

No, not indicating that at all :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭d3exile

2 - what is the legal (& motoring etiquette) situation of using the 'hard shoulder' to allow others to pass (as I know many 'hard shoulders' have hazards, inconsistent surfaces & other dangerous obstacles, possibly the one on this road does not)?

You may use the hard shoulder to stop in an emergency, or to allow faster moving traffic to pass. unless you have blue lights on your car it's not your job to police other people's speed, and inhibiting the flow of traffic is a fine-able offence, it's in case law where a truck driver had a large quantity of traffic behind him, refused to pull aside to allow it to pass, and was fined. it's down to road positioning, nothing to do with speed or limits...

similar is to apply to motorways ie you should always drive on the far left lane, and you're supposed to pull in from the second or third lanes when something faster moving is approaching from behind, but Irish drivers seem to forget all about road positioning and go where they like, building congestion and road rage but that rant is for a different day!!

in short: go what speed is legal and you feel safe to do in the circumstances, but be aware and considerate for other road users, if you can safely accommodate them, do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Carraig Fhearghais

d3exile wrote: »
    You may use the hard shoulder to stop in an emergency, or to allow faster moving traffic to pass. unless you have blue lights on your car it's not your job to police other people's speed, and inhibiting the flow of traffic is a fine-able offence, it's in case law where a truck driver had a large quantity of traffic behind him, refused to pull aside to allow it to pass, and was fined. it's down to road positioning, nothing to do with speed or limits...

similar is to apply to motorways ie you should always drive on the far left lane, and you're supposed to pull in from the second or third lanes when something faster moving is approaching from behind, but Irish drivers seem to forget all about road positioning and go where they like, building congestion and road rage but that rant is for a different day!!

in short: go what speed is legal and you feel safe to do in the circumstances, but be aware and considerate for other road users, if you can safely accommodate them, do.

Many thanks, I drive only occasionally down & was never too sure as to the etiquette of the hard shoulder. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 magpie30

i was traveling behind a slower driver,when the driver of the tramore bus cam up behind me,lights on full beam and tryed to intimidate me to pull in and let him pass. at one stage he was flashing and pulled over to the hard shoulder as if sugjesting i do the same.

now if the car ahead of me was to break that bus was to close to me to be able to stop so i lightly tapped my break just enough for lights to come on in order for the pr$%k of a bus driver to wake up.

i wasnt alone in the car and safety was a bit of a problem. was gonna identify the driver and then report him.

i may be making this out smaller then it was.it went on for a few miles.:mad:

magpie30 wrote: »
    i was traveling behind a slower driver,when the driver of the tramore bus cam up behind me,lights on full beam and tryed to intimidate me to pull in and let him pass. at one stage he was flashing and pulled over to the hard shoulder as if sugjesting i do the same.

now if the car ahead of me was to break that bus was to close to me to be able to stop so i lightly tapped my break just enough for lights to come on in order for the pr$%k of a bus driver to wake up.

i wasnt alone in the car and safety was a bit of a problem. was gonna identify the driver and then report him.

i may be making this out smaller then it was.it went on for a few miles.:mad:
    some of them bus drivers are mad alright. Most are grand but as I said some get away with fecking murder .
    Break checking can be fun if you can take off quick enough for them not to hit into the back of ya.

seanybiker wrote: »
    Break checking can be fun

and dangerous

and stupid.

some of them bus drivers are mad alright. Most are grand but as I said some get away with fecking murder .
    Break checking can be fun if you can take off quick enough for them not to hit into the back of ya.

Pulling up ur handbrake slightly will frighten the ****e outta people who tailgate dangerously and aggressivly more than anything else

and dangerous

and stupid.
    Way to quote half a sentance. Good man.

• Advertisement

and dangerous

and stupid.
    Way to quote half a sentance. Good man.

Apologies

"Break checking can be fun if you can take off quick enough for them not to hit into the back of ya."

And it's dangerous
    And stupid
    And any dope that does it deserves every bit of damage done to their car and the resulting dangerous driving prosecution they would get from it if caught in the act.

Good man.

Advertisement