Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Microphone volumes

• 10-09-2011 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

This might have a thread somewhere or in the past but is it only me who thinks that the RTE mic volumes are way too high, especially in the morning? Let me elaborate a bit, it,s not the sound volume that bothers me but rather the sound of the presenters breathing, licking their lips, swallowing etc, it,s the most intrusive i've heard anywhere, or is it just me?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

It has been mentioned before. I presume you're referring to Radio One. The processing may play a large part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I also mentioned this recently.

Morning Ireland is the worst. The guy on it spends most of the show snorting down the mic. I cannot understand how the production folk don't tell him to move away from it when he's not talking.

And now the woman has started too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 ballysheil

Just the show I was thinking of.
    Yes, the processing, sound signature and so on all could make sense, it's just a bit early in the day for snorts, sighs, lip licking, and may other fascinating wet mouth noises. (I really need to get a grip this is sounding weird)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

I often hear the inside workings of Cathal Mac Coille's nose of a morning,not great with the cornflakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

RTE sound engineering is like poor local radio when set besides the Beeb. We can only be glad Marc Coleman is on Newstalk.

• Advertisement

Aside from any processing issues, it could be that these days there seems to be little attention to technique in the studio. Presenters may not be aware that any noises they make will be picked up by the mics.
    Certainly presentation standards have dropped in the last few years.

DT100 wrote: »
    I often hear the inside workings of Cathal Mac Coille's nose of a morning,not great with the cornflakes.

Maybe you should be eating Rice Crispies:)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 ballysheil

Does seem to be persistant and intrusive, often catches him by surprise mid sentence. Without wishing to offend or intrude I hope he's had it checked out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Its mic technique but more importantly poor choice of mics.

The modern trend for condenser mics in radio studios which accentuate gutteral noises amongst other things.

Condenser mics - well, only good ones (and there aren't many that are good in a radio studio) can sound OK but require much more control.

If you don't have the constant supervision and control, put dynamic mics in and listen to the problems disappear.

Give me a Shure SM-7B, an EV RE20, a Beyer M201 or a Heil PR-40 in a radio studio over ANY condenser, any day.

A.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Bobba Fett

mike65 wrote: »
    RTE sound engineering is like poor local radio when set besides the Beeb. We can only be glad Marc Coleman is on Newstalk.

This. Seriously. The quality of sound and in particular the musical inserts on RTE Radio 1 is atrocious. I would love to see the interview that their current "engineers" went through to get their positions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement