Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the real 9/11 thread made a sticky

Options
  • 10-09-2011 8:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭

hi all

there is a thread on boards when the everyone was watching 9/11 live

I was wondering if it could be made a sticky on the homepage for tomorrow as it must be one of the most historical threads on boards and it would be the most read thread tomorrow if it was available on the homepage like the boards announcement

thanks

maybe have a 10 years on thread below it sticky too to stop multibal threads being opened

just an idea

wize
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

WIZE wrote: »
    hi all

there is a thread on boards when the everyone was watching 9/11 live

I was wondering if it could be made a sticky on the homepage for tomorrow as it must be one of the most historical threads on boards and it would be the most read thread tomorrow if it was available on the homepage like the boards announcement

thanks

maybe have a 10 years on thread below it sticky too to stop multibal threads being opened

just an idea

wize
    Do you not think there's enough 9/11 threads? What purpose would your suggestion serve?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,175 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Put a link to it in one of the major threads already present.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

I agree with WIZE, it would be cool to read what was been posted here as it happened. We all think back to it each year, and as it's 10 years on why not pull the thread???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I would have no interest in reading that thread, maybe that's just me.
    It's just a thread same as any other thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭James T Kirk

Yeah, there's loads of threads with people posting as 3000 people die.

• Advertisement

Yeah, there's loads of threads with people posting as 3000 people die.
    Would you request that it's done for the Asian tsunami one, or the Japanese earthquake one when their anniversaries come around? What about the start of the Afghan or Iraqi wars?

If you want to read the thread, use the search function to find it and read it.

I can see no reason for it to be stickied.

Unfortunately those attacks in America will always get more news coverage on anniversaries, rather than any other disaster worldwide. Perhaps having a mega-merge rather than a sticky would work better.

Unfortunately those attacks in America will always get more news coverage on anniversaries, rather than any other disaster worldwide. Perhaps having a mega-merge rather than a sticky would work better.
    I think that's the best way forward and it seems that the AH mods are attempting to do that. I'd say it'll be a busy day for them.

El Weirdo wrote: »
    I think that's the best way forward and it seems that the AH mods are attempting to do that. I'd say it'll be a busy day for them.

Perhaps have a single sticky for today to tell people to keep any and all 9/11 talk to that mega-merge?

Perhaps have a single sticky for today to tell people to keep any and all 9/11 talk to that mega-merge?
    to be honest, I don't think it'll need to be made a sticky today. Any thread like that is bound to be kept on the front page. Maybe a Mod warning in the title/first post?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Is the OP not asking for the thread from this day 10 years ago to be made "sticky"?

The AH/Politics, etc mods can make up their own minds what to do with new threads this weekend.

The AH/Politics, etc mods can make up their own minds what to do with new threads this weekend.
    No one is saying they shouldn't. We're just making suggestions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Is the OP not asking for the thread from this day 10 years ago to be made "sticky"?

Yep thats what i mean

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Ten years. People need to move on. I watched the RTE video from 10 years ago (posted on YT). It is was distressing.

I think if you want to read the thread, just look it up.

I would think that if you were young like alot of people on Boards you will not even know the thread exists

remember if you are 20 now you were only 10 then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I just tried to find the thread but no luck so far.

WIZE wrote: »
    I would think that if you were young like alot of people on Boards you will not even know the thread exists

remember if you are 20 now you were only 10 then
    I'm confused. Why would your age have any bearing on whether you knew the thread exists or not?

Maybe cos they don't know if boards.ie even existed 10 years ago? For example.

mike65 wrote: »
    Maybe cos they don't know if boards.ie even existed 10 years ago? For example.
    I didn't know boards.ie existed 10 years ago and I still know that the thread is there and how to find it.

thanks post the link to the thread please

Coz ive been looking for it

• Advertisement

I didn't know boards.ie existed 10 years ago and I still know that the thread is there and how to find it.

Then post it!

Found it (and this will be a bit of a shock for people who didn't know boards back then)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=30985

Some more from back then

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=30986

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=30995

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=31061

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=62833 (first anniversary)

As you can see the traffic on site back then was a tiny fraction of any given moment on boards.ie these days. Indeed I'd wager that if the Twin Towers attack happened now boards.ie would crash digiweb hosting for the day.

Thanks Mike:)

mike65 wrote: »
    Then post it!
    Apologies... had to feed the children.

I was under the impression that the OP knew where it was and how to find it and was just requesting that it be made a sticky for the day. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I was reading that AH thread the other day (I didn't realise the OP couldn't find it so I didn't post it here) and initially I was surprised that it was only 4 pages long. I suppose you kind of forget that Boards was only a fraction of the size it is today. I asked someone how many pages he would expect in that thread and he said 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

MAde this this morning people.
    PLease share and like and favourite to try get it Viewed by as many people possible today. Thanks

RIP Irish SOuls lost on 9.11

Would you request that it's done for the Asian tsunami one, or the Japanese earthquake one when their anniversaries come around? What about the start of the Afghan or Iraqi wars?

If you want to read the thread, use the search function to find it and read it.

I can see no reason for it to be stickied.

It is apparent you mistook the spirit of my post, good sir.

It is apparent you mistook the spirit of my post, good sir.
    Well then, please accept my humblest apologies.

Further to, and as an extension of my apology, I would be grateful if you would also accept my invitation to meet at the clock on the village green on the morrow and then proceed with me to the vicarage for tea and scones.

Ha ha! Apology accepted, my binary friend. More tea, vicar? Another scone, perhaps? :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement