Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hawaii For 2012 J1 Summer

Options
  • 10-09-2011 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭

So Im after coming back from a J1 in cape cod, it was great but Ive decided that Im going to do another J1 next year and looking further abroad Hawaii, so Im asking is it difficult to get work out there and what are living expenses like out there. If anyone has previously done a J1 out there I would love to here about your experience there

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 scarymushrooms

Did my J1 in Maui, in 2007 and it was brilliant. We arrived very beginning of June, all of us [6 girls] had jobs by the 2nd week. I cant recall what we spent on rent, but it must have been reasonable enough, we looked on craigslist before we left etc, to see potential rentals etc, and the house we ended up renting was great, but just a little bit too far out of town.

We lived in Lahaina, it's a gorgeous touristy town in Maui, it's got lots of hotels and a ton of restaurants. I can't imagine finding work would be too hard.

We visited friends who were living and working on Oahu, but to be honest if you want a big city lifestyle than Honolulu is the place to be. But we preferred Maui.

Go for it. You won't regret it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Griffin13

Does it cost more in terms of flights etc to get to hawaii??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Griffin13 wrote: »
    Does it cost more in terms of flights etc to get to hawaii??

Flights can be pricey because the budget operators to Hawaii are all gone. Most connections are out of LA, all the major carriers fly there, but given the distance expect a ticket to Hawaii to come close to double the price of a flight to NYC/Boston/Chicago

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ciaran1818

After visiting the USIT office in waterford, the best deal in flights i got was 1500. Pricey enough now in fairness!!

Are there many people interested in Hawaii this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 starlight53

i would love to go to hawaii next summer but that is a bit pricey alright!! i dont think there would be that many people heading there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Apart from flights, the cost of living in Hawaii is generally higher than the mainland as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 john paulo

Thinking of hitting Maui now, anybody up for sharing, may have accommodation sorted!
    the rent is woking out at $330 a month for four months plus the same for the deposit for 5 people, which is a bargain for Hawaii i reckon. add me on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/darkdublin

The specs of the apartment!

Walking distance to Beaches
    Beautiful Ocean View
    Seperate living and bed room
    Fully equipped kitchen
    Air-conditioned
    Washer and Dryer
    46 inch HD Cable TV, VCR, , HiFi
    Pools, Hot Tubs, Tennis Courts
    High Speed Internet

• Registered Users Posts: 2 shaneeeeeee

My friend and I are going to Hawaii for the summer.. we are up for sharing. we are two lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 shaneeeeeee

johnooooo how are you for people for sharing? my and my friend are going late may..

• Advertisement

yup had to pass on that one dude. anybody else heading to honolulu?

Advertisement