Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

puppy pees when excited

• 10-09-2011 8:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

hey

i need advice,
    my 7 month old westie pees when she is excited. she also does it when she know she has done something wrong. obviously we want to stop this behavior as we have carpets!

we have never stuck her nose in it or scolded when she peed just praised when she has been good and peed outside. i don't know what i did wrong training wise.....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

My dog was like that, particularily first thing in the morning. We trained her out of it by completely ignoring her, opening the door and bringing her outside to pee. The minute she started peeing we'd say 'go pee' and reward her when she was finished. She wouldn't be let back in the house until she had pee'd, she learned to squat and pretend to pee to get back in :D Only when she had pee'd would we talk to her and pet her. The same when we were expecting q
    guests, we'd put her outside first and not let her in until she'd pee'd and then instruct the guests to completely ignore her until she was calm so less chance of excited weeing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

This isn't your fault Ene, so don't focus on it from that viewpoint.
    It's a bit of insecurity and/or overexcitement on the dog's part, so as toomanydogs said, you need to take the excitement out of the greetings, or other events that make her widdle!
    However, instead of just ignoring her, give her an alternative way of greeting you or your visitors. This helps to take her mind off the emotions behind the greeting, and gives her something other than her bladder to focus on. So, get her into the habit of sitting for you when you're greeting her, and practise lots! Lots of practise takes the novelty out of greeting too, so you get a double-positive effect.
    Most importantly, keep calm and chilled out. Lots of dogs feel a bit overawed during greetings, this helps to make greetings more humdrum, and therefore easier to deal with. When she's doing the sit greeting well for you, start getting other family members to do the same, gradually phasing her on to less familiar people.
    Good luck!

Ps, @ toomanydogs, I had a laugh out loud moment at your dog learning to squat and pretend to pee! Very funny! What a smart dog! Sounds like a terrier thing to do... What sort of dog is she?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

+1 on TooManyDogs suggestions, I had the exact same problems and I done all of the above... Success, some times when new people come over he will still have an accident but he's doing great!!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭keithm1

A good old fashioned kick in the arse will sort it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭ene

thanks for the advice! i tried ignoring her but that didn't work so i will now try to focus her attention on something else! i will keep you posted

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

keithm1 wrote: »
    Jeez. Post reported.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

DBB wrote: »
    Ps, @ toomanydogs, I had a laugh out loud moment at your dog learning to squat and pretend to pee! Very funny! What a smart dog! Sounds like a terrier thing to do... What sort of dog is she?

Yep she's a JRT x spaniel!

OP it does take a little while, the ignoring is a good tool for alot of unwanted behaviours but it does take them a little while to learn to react calmly when they see you but it does get through to them. Like others said it's not your fault at all

DBB wrote: »
    Jeez. Post reported.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Please read the forum charter, and post helpful posts (that don't involve harming) or don't post at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

My 9mnth old still does it occasionally although less and less often and it doesn't matter if she has just been outside she finds a little bit more :rolleyes:

The ignoring when you or someone else comes in does work but it takes time, as others have said ignore or deflect her attention onto something else but try and decide which method you're going to use and stick to it.

What we do is literally walk through the house to the back garden and don't fuss or make eye contact until outside. I realise your guests can't do this but if they ignore her the novelty and excitement factor will wear off.

Please don't rub her nose in it as she really has little control of it and it will only encourage her to hide away.

• Advertisement

star-pants wrote: »
    Please read the forum charter, and post helpful posts (that don't involve harming) or don't post at all.

I just checked the forum charter there's nothing in it regarding humour maybe it should be changed to acomadate the more mundane reader
    It's not like I said to string him up or something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Hahaha I thought it was just Tilly that squats and pretends to pee. Looks over her shoulder to make sure we are watching!!

Yes she is a terrier!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I just checked the forum charter there's nothing in it regarding humour maybe it should be changed to acomadate the more mundane reader

Reading the charter was to make sure you familiarise yourself with the forum rules. The second part of my sentence was aimed at your posting style.
    Yes, hilarious, kick a dog up the backside...

As I said, post helpful posts or not at all. Last warning, and don't respond to this post on thread, if you've further issues please PM me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Keithm1 i think if you had followed your original post up with a ---> :p <--- face then your post would have been taken in the light hearted manner it was supposed to taken in!! :D

Anywayyyy ene you need to stick at it and be patient! ;)

Advertisement