Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My bank of Ireland laser card will not work in atms in thailand

Options
  • 10-09-2011 8:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

I have been told that my laser card which cirus/mastero and visa will not work in atms over in thailand because its not chip and pin, if this is true im screwed as im off on hols and get paid when im over there, i also have no other way of accessing my cash, this is very archaic by BOI if this is true

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

You cannot have a single card with cirrus/maestro and visa. In the past I have withdrawn fro. Thai ATMs with both Maestro and Visa Debit cards. However, not every ATM there s linked up to an international network.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Do you mean the card is not chip and pin (if it's BOI, it most certainly is), or because Thailand doesn't use chip and pin for payments?

ATM withdrawals through any bank machine with a Cirrus/Maestro or Mastercard logo should be fine.

Trying to make payments with it, chip and pin or not, would be pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Do you mean the card is not chip and pin (if it's BOI, it most certainly is), or because Thailand doesn't use chip and pin for payments?

Not all BoI ATM cards are Chip&Pin, but this is mainly ATM only cards...

BuffyBot wrote: »
    ATM withdrawals through any bank machine with a Cirrus/Maestro or Mastercard logo should be fine.

Trying to make payments with it, chip and pin or not, would be pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Dont work in Kenya either!!! THey only take Visa!

Best to check before you go

Advertisement