Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rough estimate to just put in dormer in attic?

Options
  • 10-09-2011 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I got planning permission back in the tiger days to do an attic conversion with dormer window.
    Well the tiger left and I never got around to doing it. The planning permission runs out in a year and I was thinking of just getting the dormer roof and window done just so I dont have to re do the pp..

Roughly how must would this cost and would it be possible for the workers to do it via the attic door. In a few yrs down the road I would hope to finnish the job,ie stairs/wired and walled etc.
    any views will be grately recieved. thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

hawkelady wrote: »
    Roughly how must would this cost and would it be possible for the workers to do it via the attic door.
    :) you need to give a bit more info.... or even better just get a few builders to price for the work:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

dont worry,i will be getting some builders to price the job, I just thought id put it up here on boards first to get a rough feel of the cost from alot more people in the business which might save me from getting ripped off possibly.
    What kind of extra info do i need to give??
    cheers

sorry ps... extra info is . its an average sized semi d 3 bed house..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Approx - €12k for roof alternation + window in best guess.

Maybe €24k total for all works.

I think it will not be practical to gain access via the attic hatch only - the opening for the stairway will need to be formed first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 odkm

I got a couple of prices back for something like this fairly recently.
    The quoted price for installing the dormer alone was around the 6K mark.

There were provisos though that the quoted work did not include the insertion of the structural steel beams that are normally put in when actually converting he attic.

I also spoke to the structural engineer whether this could be done and he seemed to be of the opinion that it could - obviously the size of the dormer and the existing roof truss structure would have to be taken into consideration before a definite answer could be given.

Obviously it would be more cost efficient and easier in the long rum to get the whole job done together. Somewhere in the region of 17K should cover all this depending on finish.

Advertisement