Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Skoda Superb 1.6 Vs Old car

• 10-09-2011 8:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭

My car (wifes really) is a Honda Accord, its coming up for its first NCT so dont see any problems, road tax is 614euro a year. The car is mostly driven kids to school and to my wifes job and to her mothers ever other evening, at weekends (especially during summer) all over dublin. Sometimes take a few trips up to Galway to sister in law.

Are we mad to want to trade up? The road tax is a killer at present, and by the looks of some of the car websites we've lost a packet on car (suppose knew this when buying a 2 litre car)

At present the Accord has 40,000klm on it.

I was sitting in the Skoda Superb today and I have to say its a lovely car. The Accord on long journeys is great on fuel (petrol) but those short runs the wife does it aint great.

My kids arent juniors anymore so a smaller car won't do.

What to do? Look after old car and keep it till it falls apart:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Why spend thousands to save a few hundred every year...

The 1.6 is very sluggish and slow compared to your own car, also the Skoda has a DPF which wont like your short journeys and costs a lot of money to fix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Your Accord is barely run in. Keep it! The cost far outweighs the savings.

Of course if you WANT a change I'd avoid a diesel doing short journeys. There is a 1.8 petrol Superb with similar power to the Accord.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

What Corkie says is true it's mad to spend thousands to upgrade to a slower car to save 400 odd quid a year in tax.

If you really want a change why not see what sort of price you could get for the accord and then go from there?

mad m wrote: »
    My car (wifes really) is a Honda Accord, its coming up for its first NCT so dont see any problems, road tax is 614euro a year. ...........

Reckoning an Accord with 40k km on it coming up to its first NCT is an old car is lunacy in my view. I thought you would be on about a 93 Corolla or something. You'll lose loads on the new Superb too if you buy that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

+1 on all reply's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Honda Accord will be reliable. False economy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

coolbeans wrote: »
    False economy.

I know a lad that traded a car that was in tax band B for a Passat in tax band A for the cheaper tax. His own car had only 9k on it....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The 1.8 petrol superb is €2700 more than the 1.6 tdi

Now that's money down the drain, the car would be saleproof down the line too.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I was behind (and passed) a Superb earlier.

All I'll say is if my wife's ass dropped as badly as that cars derriere has I'd move out.

It's hideous.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The 1.8 petrol superb is €2700 more than the 1.6 tdi

Now that's money down the drain, the car would be saleproof down the line too.

Even spending money on that diesel one is money down the drain. Plus, in a few years when the diesel...ahem...really hits the fan there may well be a Market for petrols...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

mad m wrote: »
    What to do? Look after old car and keep it till it falls apart:)
    +1 (or 4, or whatever)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Superb is also available in 1.4 TSi.

To the OP, I think you are bonkers to trade up. You would be spending thousands to trade up a practically brand new car for a newer one just to save a few hundred quid in tax. It would take you about 10 years or more to actually make any savings from the tax alone. Then you have to worry about a modern diesel engine running into problems due to doing short trips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The tsi has almost as much gubbins to go wrong as a diesel. The accord is a nice car anyway just suck it up and tax it!

If you can afford to trade up then you can afford the tax. Simple as

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Give a good wash and polish to your accord, or even better: book a full cleaning session in some fancy place. Then buy some flowers to your accord and beg for forgiveness as you had such idiotic ideas about trading it in to save money.

It will be hard to get back the trust of your accord, but who knows... Maybe in time....

( keep the accord, forget abouttrading in )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭alpina

Keep your car!!!
    You'll happily fork out for the tax when you compare it to the hit you'll take to trade up. Enjoy your car & get the value out of it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭The Express

I know of a couple who traded in an '07 Megane early last year for the latest model.

Great: Low road tax - they raved to all and sundry about that one alright!
    Not so great: it cost them about 12k along with their own to change up -The guts of 4k a year depreciation :eek:

Another +1 for keeping what sounds like a perfectly good Accord.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

166man wrote: »
    If you can afford to trade up then you can afford the tax. Simple as

It really should be this simple but its not.

I think there's a disease where people break down costs into monthly expenditure instead of thinking about overall expenditure.

I know people who buy new cars and reason like this:
    - I spend 500/month on my car loan
    - Tax on this car is 650/year, petrol is sooo expensive 50 quid a week!
    - I can trade in my car for a new Diesel and still keep paying 500/month on the car
    - Tax is now 156/year and the diesel is 35 a week.
    - $$$$ Now I can afford an extra trip to Old Trafford/Anfield/Munster away game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Is the skoda not the car you get when you cannot afford the superior accord, not the other way round?

The most money you will every lose on a car is when you sell it, talking about spending thousands trading the car to save 400 euro on road tax is a really stupid logic.

What your really saying is you want a new car and need an excuse.

What your really saying is you want a new car and need an excuse.

If someone wants a new car and can afford it surely that's excuse enough?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

EPM wrote: »
    If someone wants a new car and can afford it surely that's excuse enough?

Absolutely, go get a new car, get it now, but lets not do the classic irish thing and try wrap it up in "I am going to save money by getting a new car" thats what we tell our wives ;).

MrDerp wrote: »

I think there's a disease where people break down costs into monthly expenditure instead of thinking about overall expenditure.

- I can trade in my car for a new Diesel and still keep paying 500/month on the car

Although it will end up with cars with 600euro a year tax (which isn't too bad) being bargains for the rest of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

166man wrote: »
    Although it will end up with cars with 600euro a year tax (which isn't too bad) being bargains for the rest of us.

Yep, I picked myself up a nice 03 2l civic for 2400 last yr, I still get 39mpg, and plenty of power if I want to push it.

But trade a lovely 2l vtec Accord for a dull as dishwater Superb 1.6d, no, just no!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

MrDerp wrote: »

All you are doing is renting a car. You are borrowing more and paying interest on top of the capital sum + interest intitially borrowed. Crazy way to do things imo.

Advertisement