Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freezing Mullingar.

Options
  • 10-09-2011 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

Will the usual estates pipes freeze up again this year if we get a run of weather like the last two years? I saw very few, infact i saw only one path to house feed being lowered from stopcock to house.
    The moaning was justifiable over the last two years but not so for the third on. Amazing how soon people forget how difficult it is to live without running water. Which estate was worst last year? Was it Lakepoint? Did many residents do anything beyond cosmetic to prepare for this year? Mocking is catching so fingers crossed for my gaff lol..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

There is talk of the council re-doing the pipes in our estate, though I'm Rochfortbridge (castlelost vale).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

All pipes in those estates affected last year will be affected again if the cold weather returns.

Some leaks were fixed but nothing was done to prevent pipes from freezing again unfortunately

If enough people contacted the council regarding this problem as a matter of urgency they may be able to do something

If you know which piece of pipe froze, now's the time to dig it up and insulate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Lynfo

Has anybody actually contacted the council about this?

I'm in Killucan, and only a handful of houses in my estate are affected, no water for 5/6 days, same houses each year though.

Is there any point contacting the council?

I'm putting down a 'drain cosy' this year, although not sure how much use it'll be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 *mlady*

which estates were badly hit last year as a matter of interest?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

Lynfo wrote: »
    Has anybody actually contacted the council about this?

I'm in Killucan, and only a handful of houses in my estate are affected, no water for 5/6 days, same houses each year though.

Is there any point contacting the council?

I'm putting down a 'drain cosy' this year, although not sure how much use it'll be.
    From last year I think if the water is flowing, ie if any of your neighbours have water along your road then it is most likely the fault is from the stop cock on the main feed to your house (from the path to you sink) and the council will definately do nothing for the people who have this problem. This would also seem to be the most common problem too.

I think the best way to find the most effected estates is to use boards search on similar topics from last year. If I remember right they are all there.
    P.s. I believe the cost of lowering ones feed from the path to your house is about €500. I'm skint but it would be the best money spent if ones pipes were annually freezing i.m.o.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

Im waiting to be contacted back re the ardleigh area. Seems the bond bond they got was more or less used up with legal bills and there is no plan to lower any pipes.
    Does anyone here know where the Mullingar area office is and if it is different to the county council office?

Advertisement