Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting 3 Bed Dublin City Centre - any scope for bargaining?

Options
  • 10-09-2011 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

Looking for a 3 bed apartment in Dublin city centre or close. Seems like any of the good places get snapped up within a day or two. Just wondering is there any point in trying to bargain in this market?

Would be looking at places in the €1500-€1700 bracket and wondering if there's any scope for knocking say €100-150 off p/m. Looking to find a place soon, so would probably not get into bargaining too much if meant losing out on a potentially good place. Cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Its a basic law of supply and demand.
    If demand exceeds supply (as seems to be the case in the area you're looking in), any capacity to bargain down the rent, is greatly reduced/non-existant. If you can't find a rental property in your preferred location perhaps you should consider broadening the area you're prepared to look at? Dublin city centre is always going to have a high inherent demand- but you don't have to travel very far at all on either side of the river for demand to taper off remarkably quickly.

Note- Aug/Sep are also the months of highest demand in Dublin- supply tends to expand rapidly from Nov/Dec onwards.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

How close to the CC do you want? You'll easily get something in that range around Heuston. I lived in the Chocolate Factory (can't remember the real name) a few years back, apartment was absolutely gorgeous. I believe they're going for around €1500 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Chilli Con Kearney

Hi all

Sorry to hijack the thread. Looking at renting somewhere in Fairview/Clontarf/Marino area. It's our first time renting so am a bit unsure about asking for discount on rent.

As a general rule of thumb, with so many properties around, how much discount would you ask for? Say on a 1,000 per month 2 bed? Is 10-15% too much? Thanks...:o

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

When asking for a discount a few things are important.

1. What are you offering back? "Look, its a little steep, but if you knock off €100, I'll sign* today and stay for the year".

2. Ask for a discount that isn't insulting. If you ask for 50% off, that is completely unrealistic (they may hang up!) and you will soon find yourself asking for 40% off, 30% off, 20% off, at which point you will look rather uncertain. It also creates the impression that you might be high maintenance.

10% is certainly not unreasonable. However, it will somewhat depend on context. Is there a queue of people waiting outside? Are there a lot of vacant properties in the area? What are people asking for similar properties in the area. What advantages / disadvantages does this property have? How is the decor?

3. Realise that it is September and that many students are moving to college areas in the next month or so.

* Make sure you know what you are signing.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭fitzgese

Thanks for the info, yeah Heuston is an area I'm definitely considering, and I agree with 10% being a reasonable discount. Can, and would actually prefer, to sign a lease asap, so will certainly point that out when looking for a discount. Other advice sounds good as well, will bear it in mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

fitzgese wrote: »
    Looking for a 3 bed apartment in Dublin city centre or close. Seems like any of the good places get snapped up within a day or two. Just wondering is there any point in trying to bargain in this market?
    How close, and is it for professionals or a family? The former, maybe Smithfield, the latter I'd say not Smithfield, as I'm not aware of any amenities nearby Smithfield for kids. A quick search gave http://www.daft.ie/21108260 for €1400 with 3 double bedrooms. There's a few places in Summerhill, but I'd avoid Summerhill unless you're from there, as it's meant to a rough part of Dublin.

There's two 3 bed houses n Ranelagh for around €1500/€1550 which are near the LUAS. One of them has a garden in the pictures.

Advertisement