Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I'm creating a creative writing forum

• 10-09-2011 9:50pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Hello folks,

I'm going to create a creative writing forum based on the works of George R.R. Martin. (A Song of Ice and Fire). Its basically collaborative 'roleplaying'. Everybody picks a character and a story grows organically from that. I've a few ideas for an overarching plot but I'd love it if somebody was interested in helping me put some flesh on the bones of this idea. Its intended to be a little bit of fun, but with a bit of seriousness too. Intellectual gymnastics, perhaps.

This is different from fanfiction in that plots are collaborative and grow organically as opposed to the individualism of set piece fanfiction. I've never done anything like this by the way and there is a very good chance I'll lose interest in a week or so, but I might as well give it a shot.

Details details... So basically its going to be something very simple. The world I intend to set this in is roughly 100 years after the events of the most recent book. So all living characters in the books are now dead. My reasoning for this is that A) I think its tacky trying to impersonate the characters created by the original author and B) Because I can imagine everybody wanting to play Robb Stark. I don't want to spoil the books, but lets just say I'm worried that some people will conveniently forget something pretty crucial that happened in book 3 and create an alternate plotline based around that...

There will of course also be basic rules on things like how powerful your character is allowed to be, about basic literacy, maturity etc. etc.

Please let me know what you think. Preferably somebody who has done something like this before will jump on the bandwagon and help me out!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

Denerick wrote: »
    This is different from fanfiction in that plots are collaborative and grow organically as opposed to the individualism of set piece fanfiction.
    What you're describing is just collaborative fan fiction.
    I've never done anything like this by the way and there is a very good chance I'll lose interest in a week or so
    Why on earth would somebody join you after you say something like that?
    The world I intend to set this in is roughly 100 years after the events of the most recent book. So all living characters in the books are now dead.

After 100 years you reckon all characters in ASOIAF will be dead? That's assuming a lot - I'm not even convinced Ned is dead at this point.
    Preferably somebody who has done something like this before will jump on the bandwagon and help me out!
    I've heard of plenty of things liket his for other fandoms, but not ASOIAF, though to be honest I haven't looked. I'd be surprised if there isn't already something very close to what you're describing. The people who do it tend to consider it a form of roleplaying, so if you google about RPs you might have some luck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Antilles wrote: »
    What you're describing is just collaborative fan fiction.

Pardon me if I'm not up with the lingo. Call it what you like.
    Why on earth would somebody join you after you say something like that?

Why are you being so negative exactly?
    After 100 years you reckon all characters in ASOIAF will be dead? That's assuming a lot - I'm not even convinced Ned is dead at this point.

150 years then, whatever. You're deliberately not getting the point of this.
    I've heard of plenty of things liket his for other fandoms, but not ASOIAF, though to be honest I haven't looked. I'd be surprised if there isn't already something very close to what you're describing. The people who do it tend to consider it a form of roleplaying, so if you google about RPs you might have some luck.

I have looked and everything associated with this seems to be the set piece fanfiction variety or else something rather silly (A 'gamemaster' sets quests and people fight battles and duels... Doesn't sound very enticing)

It may well be roleplaying, I've never done anything like this before so obviously I don't know the exact terms etc.

Thanks though for your excessive levels of helpfulness and optimism.

Why are you being so negative exactly?
    Actually I was trying to be helpful. :o
    150 years then, whatever. You're deliberately not getting the point of this.
    Um, no. Not only do I get the point, I've participated in similar before. If you start it too close to the end of canon, and you run with it for a decent length of time, your story will become anachronistic. I was suggesting that 100 years in the time scale of ASOIAF might not be far enough. Consider the way the Star Wars Expanded Universe is organised; most of it is in a totally different era to the three original movies.
    Thanks though for your excessive levels of helpfulness and optimism.

I smell sarcasm here, but I was honestly trying to be helpful. Good luck with your RP/collaborative story/forum at any rate.

Yes, I was being sarcastic. I could smell a pervasive negativity. Probably a little prickly on my part, I'm feeling a bit diva-ish tonight. No offence intended.

So anyway, hope somebody with experience in these sorts of things can offer some guidance or want to get involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

The man himself is very strongly opposed to fan fiction.

http://grrm.livejournal.com/151914.html

• Advertisement

pljudge321 wrote: »
    The man himself is very strongly opposed to fan fiction.

http://grrm.livejournal.com/151914.html

I've heard that before actually and wondered why. Its a tribute to his writing; he has created a world rich in history and depth.

I've heard that before actually and wondered why. Its a tribute to his writing; he has created a world rich in history and depth.

you could try reading the blog

what is it you want here op, you say you'll lose interest, you've no interest in what the author thinks, you're not interested in existing groups, and you're just being uninterested and sarky at the replies.

bluewolf wrote: »
    you could try reading the blog

what is it you want here op, you say you'll lose interest, you've no interest in what the author thinks, you're not interested in existing groups, and you're just being uninterested and sarky at the replies.

Attitude, much? I've read the blog post now; I understand his position but frankly I don't care all that much. It wouldn't stop me either way. The existing groups aren't exactly writing collaborative fanfiction; they're more like a glorified form of dungeons and dragons. When I said I'd lose interest it was an offhand comment and probably a genuine reflection on what will happen - ie, nobody else has expressed interest so far, so I'm hardly going to do it all by myself!

I'm not sure I get or understand the pervasive negativity that seems to have resulted from my original proposal. Which explains my 'uninterested and sarky replies'.

P.S- Martin seems peeved by people robbing his characters. I agree with him in that that is indeed tacky and annoying. I'm only robbing his world and setting a story in that. With new characters and plots.

I'm not sure I get or understand the pervasive negativity that seems to have resulted from my original proposal.

You have a poorly thought-out idea.

You're overly sensitive to any criticism.

You show little respect for or knowledge of your source material.

You're asking people to come onboard when you yourself have said "there is a very good chance I'll lose interest in a week or so", which either means a) you don't have any faith in it, or b) you're flightly, and even if you do have faith in it, you know yourself well enough to say you'll get bored and leave, meaning the whole thing is a waste of time.

So, to reiterate one of my initial questions:
    Why on earth would somebody join you?

What you call "pervasive negativity," I'd call people not wanting to waste their time, and not wanting others sucked into wasting theirs either.

Whatever. Scrap the idea. The cynics win once again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

So you've lost interest after 24 hours?

Constant criticism, nothing but negativity, exactly zero positive response or interest... Yeah. This was something I was interested in doing but was looking to get a few 'partners' involved as well, to help in the setting up and the formation of the idea.

You'd swear I'd committed a crime or something. Glad to see you all are enjoying this at any rate. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Is this some new concept like the Trent thread? Denerick's posts are getting so ridiculous that one would almost believe he's worked us into his own dramatic dialogue.

you're so cynical, pick. and negative.

Will somebody please just lock this filth.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

On the positive side, at least you got some responses here unlike in the other forums you spammed this in.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement