Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Parking fees - Kilkenny

Options
  • 10-09-2011 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is a rip-off , but it sure was expensive .
    7 hours and 42 minutes in Market Cross Car Park in Kilkenny today cost us € 25 .

Did'nt see the rates menu , but expected it to be around €15 .

http://www.marketcross.ie/

CopyofDSCN2425.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,084 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

7 hours and 42 minutes in Market Cross Car Park in Kilkenny today cost us € 25 .

CopyofDSCN2425.jpg

Expensive lesson in looking before you leap.:(

I won't be visiting that place anytime soon, thanks for the heads-up. It makes me cry having to pay more than a fiver - anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

Market cross is a shopping centre and the car park is primarily for the use of shoppers. Like many shopping centre car parks you are penalised for all day parking as they don't want you parking there. It is also very clearly displayed at the entrance.

No rip off - you just failed to see the clearly displayed rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Try living in Waterford, I worked in Kilkenny for a few years and couldnt believe how cheap Market Cross was. It was 90c per hr there when it was e1.70 per hours in City Square.

Most I'd pay for all day parking is €6, a few car parks do that rate up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

maxer68 wrote: »
    Market cross is a shopping centre and the car park is primarily for the use of shoppers. Like many shopping centre car parks you are penalised for all day parking as they don't want you parking there. It is also very clearly displayed at the entrance.
    No rip off - you just failed to see the clearly displayed rates.

There must be at least 50 shops in Market Cross and what you are saying is that they encourage shoppers to get in and get out as soon as possible .

Have they no interest in encouraging shoppers to stay longer ?

Surely the longer you stay shopping , the lesser the car park should cost .

There must be at least 50 shops in Market Cross and what you are saying is that they encourage shoppers to get in and get out as soon as possible .

Have they no interest in encouraging shoppers to stay longer ?

Surely the longer you stay shopping , the lesser the car park should cost .

How many people spend 7 hours shopping in a shopping centre?

My guess (only a guess) is up to 3 hours is about €1/hour, the hour 4 is €3 and after that is €6 per hour or something along thoses lines.

Same type of structure applies in the Square, Swords, Dundrum and plenty of other shopping centres here and abroad.

Here's the shopper friendly Tullamore SC charges
    "Rates & Tariffs: €1 for 2 hours, 3 hrs is €2, 4 hours is €5, each subsequent hour is €5. Applies Mon-to Saturday 9am to 5pm.
    Free parking after 5pm Mon to Saturday.
    Free parking all day Sunday."

based on this very shopper friendly charge, the OP would have been charged €25 in Tullamore too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,084 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I haven't heard of any car-park fees being reduced during the past two or three years, whilst most shops have been making the effort. Has anyone else noticed any parking charge price-drops?

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Try living in Waterford, I worked in Kilkenny for a few years and couldnt believe how cheap Market Cross was. It was 90c per hr there when it was e1.70 per hours in City Square.

Most I'd pay for all day parking is €6, a few car parks do that rate up there.

€1.70 per hour sounds OK to me .- This would mean I would only have to pay €12.75 for the 7.5 hours in Market Cross .

Been penalised for staying longer sounds wrong to me .

In most business areas , the more you buy the cheaper it gets ..........Not the case with parking fees obviously .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

places like this tend to give 3 hours free, then €5 per hour or part of thereafter.
    it's to stop people from using the spaces for all days parking, eg. as a park and ride facility, or parking for work, and denying spaces to the genuine customers of the centre

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭JDxtra

places like this tend to give 3 hours free, then €5 per hour or part of thereafter.
    it's to stop people from using the spaces for all days parking, eg. as a park and ride facility, or parking for work, and denying spaces to the genuine customers of the centre
    Exactly. Who goes to a shopping centre for nearly 8 hours? The charges are to ensure genuine shoppers have spaces available by discouraging all day parking by others.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

JDxtra wrote: »
    Exactly. Who goes to a shopping centre for nearly 8 hours? The charges are to ensure genuine shoppers have spaces available by discouraging all day parking by others.

Some nutters do this alright, here in Holland our shopping center down the road does free parking with every 20 euros worth of goods purchased.

Its an incentive to shop there and discourages people from using it as all day parking.

• Advertisement

€1.70 per hour sounds OK to me .- This would mean I would only have to pay €12.75 for the 7.5 hours in Market Cross .

Been penalised for staying longer sounds wrong to me .

In most business areas , the more you buy the cheaper it gets ..........Not the case with parking fees obviously .

Oh no, its about €38 for more than 7 hrs. I cant get the rates online now but I'll check next time I'm passing.

Its something like up to 1 hr €1.90, Up to 2 hrs €3.80, up to 3 hrs €5.70 then it goes to about €8.

Some nutters do this alright, here in Holland our shopping center down the road does free parking with every 20 euros worth of goods purchased.
    Its an incentive to shop there and discourages people from using it as all day parking.

Calling all-day shoppers ' nutters' is not warranted ............Calm down and leave the rat-race behind you .

It looks like the car-parking objective is to have shoppers in a race against time .

The faster they shop , the less they pay in parking fees .

Shopping under pressure is crazy , but it probably does help retailers to empty the pockets of hard-pressed consumers faster .

Calling all-day shoppers ' nutters' is not warranted ............Calm down and leave the rat-race behind you .

It looks like the car-parking objective is to have shoppers in a race against time .

Shopping under pressure is crazy , but it probably does help retailers to empty the pockets of hard-pressed consumers faster .

Were you shopping in Market Cross shopping Centre for 7.5hours?

Personally I doubt it as the range of shops in that centre is not all that inspiring.

Kilkenny has tons of all day parking sites that charge less than €10 per day but shopping centre carparks (in most towns) are charged to facilitate the majority of shoppers in that shopping centre (not the surrounding area) and the car park rates are very clearly displayed on entry.

Or look at it another way - if it charged less the longer you stayed, it would have been full by the time you got there with staff cars from all the shops around the area.

Rat race ???

I make a list, buy what I need and then head home to chill out in the garden or bring the dog for a walk in the park.

I wouldn't find 8 hours in a shopping center relaxing at all, noisy, crowded, screaming kids and pyjama wearing adults around the place.

I stand by my comment, someone thats willing to spend 8 hours shopping is a nutter :)although my wife might disagree :pac:

I stand by my comment, someone thats willing to spend 8 hours shopping is a nutter :)although my wife might disagree :pac:

Think more than your wife may disagree . -Me thinks that every retailer in Ireland would welcome all-day shoppers with open arms .

If only...................

Think more than your wife may disagree . -Me thinks that every retailer in Ireland would welcome all-day shoppers with open arms .

I think retailers welcome 'shoppers' not people who just hang around the shops and buy nothing, especially the Pyjama wearing kind :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

I deliberately avoid shopping in KK as the "pay to park" is totally off-putting. In Portlaoise nearly every shopping car park is free. Even Thurles SC is free. Time the traders in KK copped on, the days of paying to park are gone with the tiger, and good riddance too.

Kilkenny is booming in retail, compared to Waterford, there's no way they'd do free parking in the center. €7 per day max charge in the McDonnagh station SC. 10 min walk to city center.

Danno wrote: »
    I deliberately avoid shopping in KK as the "pay to park" is totally off-putting. In Portlaoise nearly every shopping car park is free. Even Thurles SC is free. Time the traders in KK copped on, the days of paying to park are gone with the tiger, and good riddance too.

But you need to read the signs.

Max 3 Hours - then you get clamped and its €125 release fee - and they enforce it, but normally not til over 4 hours has passed.

Basically almost every shopping carpark (town centre or shopping centre) will allow you park free or for a reasonable fee for 3-4 hours - after that they will charge €5 an hour or start clamping.

If you need to park in a town all day, look for all day signage or make a point of moving your car after 3/4 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

Just visited Kilkenny last week with a few american cousins. Visit to Kilkenny Castle was pleasant, however what ginit decided that the street car parking opposite should be one hour and no more? There was a scheduled talk in the great hall of the castle part of which I missed having to return to save my car ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Like the way you never answered whether you were shopping for the full 7.5 hours.

Just visited Kilkenny last week with a few american cousins. Visit to Kilkenny Castle was pleasant, however what ginit decided that the street car parking opposite should be one hour and no more? There was a scheduled talk in the great hall of the castle part of which I missed having to return to save my car ....

Really? that is useless, anytime I visited the castle we stayed for 3 hrs including the shopping at the craft place. That must be new.... really shortsighted. Maybe things have changed but there never used to be a big issue parking in Kilkenny, always loads of spaces, have things changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

What a surprise visitors to the Marble city complain about parking charges, we live here and very seldom shop in Kilkenny except at Aldi, Lidl and Supervalu out at Loughboy, Market cross and Mc Donagh Station are way out, and to be honest the quality of shops leave much to be desired.
    Why not go to a user friendly town, Clonmel has out of town shopping the new precinct with M&S is free as is Dunnes and Lidl's and Aldi, if you must go to the town centre parking is easy and seems cheap enough, Dungarvan give free parking after 4pm,
    We are in a recession so why scam visitors and residents, Kilkenny has widen or extended street parking charges, and as for park and ride the council hasn't a clue. There is actually a town bus service, who knows where it goes from or to or when, when will they ever learn.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Short-term on-street parking is a sensible idea (around Kilkenny center) in my opinion because it does what it says on the tin. It's easier to find an available spot close by for a quick stop.
    Slightly further away from the centre there is medium term which allows the opportunity to park for a couple of hours and a bit further afield again you can have all day parking for €2 (pricing and details here).

I find the parking model at MacDonagh Junction a bit strange. I think it's €1.50 per hour but limited to a maximum daily charge of €7 or something. A quick browse/shop and a coffee could cost you €3 for parking if you just over-stay the 60 minutes. I know you can get €1.50 off if you spend over €10 in Dunnes but still it seems to me that the shopping centre wants you out of there quickly or else stay in there all day :)

Regarding parking for the Castle, there is a Q-Park multi-storey just off the Parade, only 3 minutes walk to the Castle door & <1 minute to the high street. It's €1.50 per hour I think, €16 max but if you pre-book you can get the day for €6 (source).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

CopyofDSCN2425.jpg[IMG][/img]

It's expensive yeah, but you stayed nearly 8 hours and didn't even check the cost before hand, and then you complain :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I find the parking model at MacDonagh Junction a bit strange. I think it's €1.50 per hour but limited to a maximum daily charge of €7 or something. A quick browse/shop and a coffee could cost you €3 for parking if you just over-stay the 60 minutes. I know you can get €1.50 off if you spend over €10 in Dunnes but still it seems to me that the shopping centre wants you out of there quickly or else stay in there all day :)

I don't think it's one bit strange it's just a plain rip-off. I rarely go there and if I do it's not during the day. You can park in Dundrum town centre €2 for 3 hours- same is €4.50 in Macdonagh with it's vast array of quality shops and eateries. It just doesn't add upp.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Kilkenny is booming in retail, compared to Waterford, there's no way they'd do free parking in the center. €7 per day max charge in the McDonnagh station SC. 10 min walk to city center.

I think that's all relative...there are lots of empty shop units around Kilkenny city centre also and many are struggling badly. Kilkenny has intense competition from better value options in Kildare, Carlow, Newbridge and even Dublin for the regional shoppers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

Loads of shops all right if they haven't closed down they have a sale every week.

Parking is expensive the onstreet parking beside the cinema is 1.50 for 2 hrs, have to agree silly having 1 hr beside the castle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

It will get worse, fewer and fewer shops, unless the landlords reduce the rents and we can manage to encourage the council to reduce the parking charges, yes I know they are private car parks surely the council can use some pressure, like free parking elsewhere, how about the old cash and carry site and the mart, to be honest Kilkenny is in a mess, had they organised the one way system better it could have been a brilliant town, so anyone got an answer, what happens when even more shops go in Market Cross, regards foxy

• Advertisement
Advertisement