Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sony Tablet S - PS Games, on your tablet

Options
  • 10-09-2011 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭

http://discover.store.sony.com/tablet/#intro

^ Very well assembled web page. ***Bandwidth Intensive***

Heard about this one a few days ago. Sony is launching their own tablet (who aint?) But theirs runs PS1 Games o_O

Definitely worth keeping an eyeball on. I'm skeptical of the wedge shape but I suppose it has it's advantages. I know most buyers love how thin tablets are and that just completely takes that benefit away.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Looks cool,says its out on the 16th of september,I doubt thats right though

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Wow.

This actually looks very impressive.
    Love that little detail about its non-flat design (to shift weight to one hand only).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Overheal wrote: »
    I'm skeptical of the wedge shape but I suppose it has it's advantages. I know most buyers love how thin tablets are and that just completely takes that benefit away.

Not being sued by apple with their patented thin rectangles.

I hate apple.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Varik wrote: »

I hate apple.
    LOLwut?

There are plenty of "thin rectangles" in the tablet market.
    And that their edges are ALWAYS curved.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,447 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

PS1 games with ****ty controls? no thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

I'd actually rather the iPad tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

What about stop ****ing around and release vita? Hmmmmm?

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    LOLwut?

There are plenty of "thin rectangles" in the tablet market.
    And that their edges are ALWAYS curved.

Well there's 1 less in Germany now and with 19 lawsuits in 12 courts in 9 countries on 4 continents over minimalistic thin rectangles.

Currently mostly against Samsung their main competitor but with a lot of other tablets looking more like ipads than Samsung it won't be long

http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/09/german-court-upholds-injunction-against-samsung-galaxy-tab-10-1/
    A German court has weighed in on Apple's seemingly interminable patent battle against Samsung, and it isn't looking good for Galaxy Tab users. In a ruling issued today, a Düsseldorf Higher Regional Court upheld last month's preliminary injunction, banning the sale of the Galaxy Tab 10.1 within Germany. Citing the slate's "minimalist, modern form," presiding judge Johanna Brueckner-Hoffmann determined that Samsung's tablet bears a "clear impression of similarity" with the iPad 2, thereby meriting a nationwide ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    PS1 games with ****ty controls? no thanks.

Probably still better than the PSP controls:pac::pac:

It wouldn't be hard to let a Dualshock controller work with it over Bluetooth, but then the screen would need to be held in some way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Looks interesting, but i still don't get the draw to tablets.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I hate apple.
    If you actually look at the comparisons theres a lot more to that lawsuit than that. If you scale a samsung Galaxy S to the size of an iPhone 4, or vice versa, you'd have a hard time telling them apart at first glance without prior knowledge, and that matters when you're referring to the majority of consumers. The only way you can tell an ipod charger from a galaxy one is one is black and has samsungs logo emblazoned on it. Aside from that the interface is almost virtually the same, but just different enough that an iPod cable won't fit.

There is more with each court dealing with any applicable patents in that country, a number of design patents and some utility ones which differ from country to country being used by apple. The Dutch court found the tablets not to infringe on design but the German did.

I don't disagree that they look alike and that most tablets/smartphones look alike especially from the front, but what is a tablet meant to look like normally. Even when you have tablets that break from the majority of others like sonys clamshell.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

looks pretty nice! does it have a front and rear camera for video chat? that's a big one for me. i'll pick one up when i get some disposable cash :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

jaykhunter wrote: »
    looks pretty nice! does it have a front and rear camera for video chat? that's a big one for me. i'll pick one up when i get some disposable cash :)

same here,it'll be a while though :-/

HDMI out would make it perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,077 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

It wouldn't be hard to let a Dualshock controller work with it over Bluetooth, but then the screen would need to be held in some way.

Check:

ch06_cradle_photo.png

jaykhunter wrote: »

There is a 5mp camera on the back, and a "face focus VGA" on the front.
    HDMI out would make it perfect.

No need, it will wirelessly connect with DNLA enabled TV, PC or speakers!

I've wanted to get an iPad for a while, but never really really wanted it. However, i think (and hope) this will blow the iPad out of the market! It's like a mixture of a Bravia TV (TruBlack screen), Xperia Arc (Touch Screen) and PS1! And a feature that, although small, is something that will feel right at home: the ability to turn it into an All-in-one remote!

Me likey! $500...

Also worth mentioning, if you need a bit more portability, the Sony Tablet P:

Sony-Tablet-P.jpg

@Potential-Monke

I mean risk of theft, experia play is in your hands and using the screen it's in your hands but out on it's own in front of you rules out this method on the train for example.

sony-tablest-s-bestbuy-9112011jkjk.jpg

@Potential-Monke

I mean risk of theft, experia play is in your hands and using the screen it's in your hands but out on it's own in front of you rules out this method on the train for example.

sony-tablest-s-bestbuy-9112011jkjk.jpg
    Well fortunately if you buy it in a place like best buy (pictured above) the Protection Plan on tablets includes the theft deterrence: http://lockedandfound.geeksquad.com/locked&found_how_it_works though the locked & found can be bought by it's lonesome for fairly cheap.

I've wanted to get an iPad for a while, but never really really wanted it. However, i think (and hope) this will blow the iPad out of the market!

Oh I hope so :D

• Advertisement

Oh I hope so :D
    Their marketing is just too damn effective,

tell me where you've heard this song before, as an example:

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭talkingpj

Got mine for 250

you know playing with these in the store, i have to say the controls do suck pretty bad.

What baffles me now is why they didn't simply give it Dualshock support: let it sync with a wireless PS3 controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Don't know about the device but the website is bloody cool.

Overheal wrote: »
    you know playing with these in the store, i have to say the controls do suck pretty bad.

What baffles me now is why they didn't simply give it Dualshock support: let it sync with a wireless PS3 controller.

It does have it already, you need to do the same as with a PS3 and use a usb cable to sync it first but then it's wireless.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

I have the Sony S Tab and I love it, I've used the iPad many times including the new one and much prefer this Sony S to them. You can do so much more with it than you can with the iPad.

Have mine since xmas (thank you ex), and I love it. Granted, it took until March for you to be able to access the PS store in Ireland, and the line up is shocking (still only 15 games at €10 each), and support for it from Sony is poor (Ice-cream sandwich upgrade was only a few weeks ago), but it's lovely to use, feels brilliant with the wedge, and does have DS3 support (still can't find a cable for that!). The remote feature is epic, haven't found anything it won't control yet, and extremely handy to have every remote on 1 device (especially when you would normally have 4+).

Only downside is it's insistence on auto selecting web sites as tablet/mobile, even after selecting desktop as the UI string. Small niggle though. Just needs some more games. Plus, I don't think it supports music/video unlimited yet, and the Sony branded dock/holder is mad expensive for what it is. But, has been extremely handy since my laptop died. Just need a DNLA tv now!

Edit: just after trying to access the PS Store there, and getting that fooking error again: This service is not available in your country/region. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Edit: just after trying to access the PS Store there, and getting that fooking error again: This service is not available in your country/region. :mad:
    Just set up a UK account :pac:

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Just set up a UK account :pac:

I did, but that last update must have cancelled it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Dazzling D

Only downside is it's insistence on auto selecting web sites as tablet/mobile, even after selecting desktop as the UI string.

Doesn't do that on mine but I use Opera or Chrome more than the standard browser

Advertisement