Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Creative Writing Classes

• 10-09-2011 10:52pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭

Just looking for thoughts and opinions here. What is the general opinion there amongst budding writers? I've always been a little skeptical myself... I can't imagine Joyce or Yeats ever needing to be 'taught' how to write... but maybe I'm being a little narrow minded. Would be interested to see what its benefits are. For example, is having the opportunity to mingle with like minded people more useful than the course itself? As a networking thingy?

I believe Séan O'Casy once said that education has ruined many an artist; they become so engrossed in detail that they lose sight of something's soul. My skepticism probably originates from that general idea.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

Denerick wrote: »
    Just looking for thoughts and opinions here. What is the general opinion there amongst budding writers? I've always been a little skeptical myself... I can't imagine Joyce or Yeats ever needing to be 'taught' how to write... but maybe I'm being a little narrow minded. Would be interested to see what its benefits are. For example, is having the opportunity to mingle with like minded people more useful than the course itself? As a networking thingy?

I believe Séan O'Casy once said that education has ruined many an artist; they become so engrossed in detail that they lose sight of something's soul. My skepticism probably originates from that general idea.

I doubt Joyce, Yeats or O'Casey would have needed writing classes, but most people aren't Joyce, Yeats or O'Casey. Most beginners courses are fairly cheap so if you're considering one I'd say go for it. If you don't like it, don't take another one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

I'm all for them, if you can find one which is pitched at the right level. There's nothing like meeting a few other writers for a bit of help/competition and a good teacher can make a huge difference.

I've done a couple of courses with Patrica O'Reilly, and I'm going to do another one this autumn, just because she's a genius at listening to a piece and putting her finger on the thing that needs fixing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Sonofcicero

They're not for everyone, but my experience of six months is that you can learn a lot by sharing your work with others, especially if they're all eager to learn. It's surprising how quickly you can develop your critical faculties. A good leader or teacher is essential to put some structure on things. Worth a try anyway. Can't hurt - might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 ArticHare

I did a very basic night course and thought it was useless. Everything seemed like common sense, especially to anyone who reads a lot.I think a more advanced one, in more of a workshop setting where you bounce ideas off other people etc would be good if thats your cup of tea. That terrifies me though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I did a beginners one in the IWC, I enjoyed it but to be honest I expected to get more out of it. I suppose it was primarily a social thing for me, a way of meeting new people, and I don't think that aspect of it really worked. The general expectation of the group seemed to be quite low, and as a result the amount of material produced fell far short of my expectations. Plus, we seemed to focus very much on one genre, though it was a general course, which I know didn't suit some of the people involved (although it did suit me personally, so I was lucky). There were some really amazing people involved - it's unbelievable when you see how other people process the same information you're given and how different the results that are produced can be!

The course was great for me in one major way. I had an overwhelming fear of the end of the page, and I never, ever got there. Now I have some longer things that I'm not totally happy with, but that should (when edited beyond recognition) result in something I won't be totally ashamed of.

I write for me, and I write for fun. I don't see any harm in creative writing classes, or courses, as long as people are able to maintain whatever their personal style is while improving whatever their weaknesses are. Each to their own.

• Advertisement

If nothing else, a course usually involves you having to write. There are an awful lot of people out there who want to write, but somehow never quite get round to it, or are waiting for inspiration, or never get the words clear enough in their heads. It's amazing what a deadline can do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

EileenG wrote: »
    If nothing else, a course usually involves you having to write. There are an awful lot of people out there who want to write, but somehow never quite get round to it, or are waiting for inspiration, or never get the words clear enough in their heads. It's amazing what a deadline can do.

I only need help with a beginning and with an end. I have the main body sorted. I have terrible trouble beginning or ending a story. Or maybe I should look at unconvential storytelling tropes? I do like writers like Pamuk who play around with these conventions. I had (some) interest in attending such a class but I'd be worried that it would be regurgitated common sense. I dunno, maybe I was hoping someone like Dostoevsky or Kafka would turn up and inspire me. Perhaps I was overambitious.

All I can say is that the one I went to, Patricia O'Reilly, has a lot of very sensible things to say, but is also an expert at putting her finger on the thing that is not working and suggesting ways to make it work. Looking at the notes from her class doesn't give the full scope of what she does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 C.J.Duffy

EileenG wrote: »
    I'm all for them, if you can find one which is pitched at the right level. There's nothing like meeting a few other writers for a bit of help/competition and a good teacher can make a huge difference.

I agree. A good teacher can inspire you to reach a standard that you wouldn't have been able to even dream of before! For Junior Cert, I had the greatest English teacher ever! He always went that extra mile- pushing us to aim for the A which most of us got :) Sometimes, another person's view of things can cear up your doubts or reassure your beliefs.
    In some cases, we just need a person to look up to. Seamus Heaney looked to Patrick Kavanagh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 WastedSpace

Education is always good but I'm wondering if you need to sign up for classes, or whether you can learn online?

• Advertisement

Well, I consider it's worth hauling myself from Swords to Blackrock to go to an actual class. Sometimes you learn as much from what other people are doing as you do from the teacher. And if the class has a high standard, the bit of competitiveness helps you try that little bit harder.

Of course, if the standard is low, the other students can drive you up the wall.

Advertisement