Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ribs being kicked or pushed out

Options
  • 10-09-2011 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Just wondering if any of you have experienced moving ribs in your pregnancy? My wife is 22 weeks pregnant and for the last few nights she's noticed 2 ribs on her right hand side being kicked or pushed out - noticeably! Is there anything we can do to ease the pain for her, or is this normal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Have you seen the 'Alien' film series? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Victor wrote: »
    Have you seen the 'Alien' film series? :)

took the words out of my mouth :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I have 2 ribs on my right side that my first baby used to park her bum under. . they permanently bent.. :rolleyes: ligament and tendons soften during pregnancy so that the pelvis can move during birth and it can cause a lot of other problem such as pelvis pain and even feet to get longer.
    The muscles around the ribs can get really tired and sore especially if she's on her feet for a long time during the day.. warm baths will ease the pain and if she has to stand maybe a belly support from a physio will help ;) But yes it's normal .. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi OP

I'm 21 weeks and I have been suffering from rib pain also. I was told to put a hot water botte on my tummy and bubs will move towards the heat. I have to say I wondered if this would help at all, but the pain is unreal so I gave it a go. It worked! Now, the pain does not go completely but it eases it a great deal. Better than nothing! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

Hi, totally normal, it used to happen to me. At first i thought it was something to do with my underwired bra(didnt know you werent suppossed to wear one while pregnant at the time) but even when i took it off the pain was still there, although not quite as bad. I asked at the antenatal class and was told a hot watre bottle could help, although it didnt do much for me, other people in the class said it helped them, so she could try that. The good news is that it doesnt last forever. I had it on and off for a couple of weeks around 24-28 weeks and then it went completley untill the last week or so of my pregnancy. Hopefully this will be the case for your oh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Thanks very much folks for the advice. My wife went to the doc and he said it was completely normal. Not what she needed to hear ;)
    But Ill get her to try the hot water bottle and see if baby will move away from her ribs for now.

Advertisement