Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cross-border rip off?

Options
  • 10-09-2011 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭

I was in a shop today in Letterkenny where the price tag shows both sterling and Euro. Knowing that the merchandise is always more expensive in Letterkenny than in the same shop in 'Derry, I asked if I could pay in sterling. I was told that I could, but the sterling price would not be the sterling price on the price tag. When the assistant calculated the price, it was eight pounds more expensive than the price tag which would have brought the sterling price up to the same as the euro. Is this practice legal? Has anyone else had the same problem?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Trish2007

I doubt it is illegal. You are in the republic and the currency is euro so thats the price that you must pay. If you want to pay in sterling then its up to the individual store what rate your going to pay, the same is true when you go into derry and ask to pay in euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

These type of products that have labels marked in both Euro and Stg, I wonder if they were in a store in, for example, London, would you also be allowed to pay the Euro price on the tag in Euro's?

I also doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

There is a considerable difference in clothes prices not so much in other stuff. I cant remember the last time i bought clothes in the republic, it must have been 5 or 6 years ago, if not longer. Its got to the stage where i wouldnt even bother looking for clothes here in the hope they might be cheaper, i just automatically head to derry/strabane when looking for clothes.

Advertisement