Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lying about your job/academic studies to potential landlord?

Options
  • 10-09-2011 11:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has any experience doing this - either telling the landlord you are working, or in final year/are a mature student when you're not.

Surely it would be quite extraordinary for them to request evidence, and even if you lied it would not be a breach of contract?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I moved in with the GF recently, the LL
    asked us if we were working, we both said yes so she asked for a reference. No problem for the GF as she was working but I wasn't. About 4 weeks after moving in she asked for my reference, I just said I hadn't started yet an I'd pass it on when I did start, that was about 8-10 weeks ago. Still looking for work so there won't be a ref till I get one, hopefully soon!!

I'm not entirely sure but I'd say they want working tenents as they are more likely to pay bills, rent etc.

Edit: they believe they are more likely might be a better way to put it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Croppy Bhoy

Should just make up a reference. I wouldn't really have any qualms with lying to a landlord who had that sort of attitude. You'd think that if you've lived there for 4 months and paid the rent, that it wouldn't matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

She asked at the start and after 4 weeks, she hasn't asked since so doesn't bother me. She happens to be calling next week and I know I just jinxed myself and she'll be askin for it again!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Is it tough enough to get work up there IPAM?

Just make up a reference if she really wants one. Seems a bit odd that she's asking for it four weeks after you've moved in.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Get caught lying and your card is marked. asking for any leeway in the future will be difficult.

They can of course call you bluff and ask for proof.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

As a general rule, where a false representation is made knowingly (fraudulent misrepresentation) and it has the result of inducing another party to enter into a contract, the party who was misled may sue for rescission of the contract and/or may sue for damages in the tort of deceit.

Advertisement