Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best estate out there ??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

1st in with Superb Estate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Hard to beat the Skoda Supber Combi to be honest. Here is a top of the range model with alot of the options listed ticked and plenty of change left over for a nice holiday:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=131255618947647

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

The V60 is style over substance.

The Superb Combi is a proper estate car and pretty hard to beat for the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Why plough 45k into an estate that in 5 years time will be worth 30% of that? There are some really nice cars out there now for less than 30k that have taken depreciation hits already. Then have 15k left for a world cruise or something mad like that! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭whippet

I looked at just about every estate possible at the start of the year ... And eventually went for the superb combi.

I had a budget of €40k which didn't quite stretch to the e-class and nearly went for a V70.

The superb just ticked all the boxes and really made proper sense and left me with the guts of ten grand spare.

Just make sure to spec the 'elegance' trim level so you won't have to bother looking at the options list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭✭vectra

166man wrote: »
    Why plough 45k into an estate that in 5 years time will be worth 30% of that? There are some really nice cars out there now for less than 30k that have taken depreciation hits already. Then have 15k left for a world cruise or something mad like that! :D

So you would not be prepared to lose some money over time by buying a new car but think it is logical to throw 15k away on a cruise that would be gone forever :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Carraig Fhearghais

IMHO it's hard to beat the Mondeo (Titanium spec. if you can find one) for quality & value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

SKODA Superb Combi Elegance, by a long shot. Look up www.autoexpress.co.uk for their car of the year awards?

Elegance spec is incredible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

hyundai i40. Executive model. Class. All for around €27k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

Audi A6 Estate/ BMW 5 series estate

• Advertisement

vectra wrote: »
    So you would not be prepared to lose some money over time by buying a new car but think it is logical to throw 15k away on a cruise that would be gone forever :confused:

Oh c'mon I said something like that, it could be anything you could even buy a second car for that. My point is I would rather spend the money on something different than lose it on depreciation on a car.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

You'd get a new Allroad A4 for the same money as the White A4 Avant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Ensti wrote: »
    Hi guys, my parents are looking into buying a new car, this year. At the moment, they're driving a 06' Focus estate. Now, its time to get rid of it (buy a new car every 5 years). This year they have a much bigger budget. So far I've brought them to take a look at;

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Audi/A4/2.0TDI-1/201136204330010/advert?channel=CARS

How anyone could choose that bogo spec A4 over the Superb is beyond me!

headmaster wrote: »
    hyundai i40. Executive model. Class. All for around €27k

Good point - Lots of spec and 5 year warranty.

How anyone could choose that bogo spec A4 over the Superb is beyond me!

It would hold its value better than a Superb estate though but that's about it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

We haven't seen the Estate Superb depreciate yet, I'd imagine it would depreciate fairly well, albeit not as good as the A4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Ensti

whiterebel wrote: »
    You'd get a new Allroad A4 for the same money as the White A4 Avant?

The dealer with the two A4's had an Allroad, but they don't like the look of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

car_pop01.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

Persuade them to get an RS6, can be got for around 20, go to audi, buy their warrenty which covers gearbox, DRC and engine, put the rest aside for petrol, tax and insurance.

If they like cars, this is by far and away the best option!

The Audi Allroad is based on the A6 not the smaller A4 and there is a new model on the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Persuade them to get an RS6, can be got for around 20, go to audi, buy their warrenty which covers gearbox, DRC and engine, put the rest aside for petrol, tax and insurance.

If they like cars, this is by far and away the best option!
    An RS6 for 20 grand? Where?

This forum is crazy at times.

The OP is looking for an estate car for his parents to replace their current Focus estate and ends up being recommended a RS6.

An RS6 for 20 grand? Where?

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Audi/RS6/4.2-450B/201133203984628/advert?channel=CARS Not an estate, but its still what you asked for :pac:

bazz26 wrote: »
    The Audi Allroad is based on the A6 not the smaller A4 and there is a new model on the way.

There is an allroad version of the current generation A4.

VolvoMan wrote: »
    There is an allroad version of the current generation A4.

Apologies, your dead right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

What age are your parents? Why the Octavia vRS rather than the Superb? Or the R-design version of the Volvo rather than SE Lux or whatever that will probably ride better?

The Superb hatch-oon thing is fugly IMO but as an estate it's hard to beat. That new Hyundai i40 thingy might be worth a look as well but they haven't started bringing in the 2.0d engines yet, just the miserable Paddy-spec 1.6d.

The latest C-class has a decent reputation, gets overlooked on Boards. Like the 3-series it's a bit tight size-wise though.

pburns wrote: »
    That new Hyundai i40 thingy might be worth a look as well but they haven't started bringing in the 2.0d engines yet, just the miserable Paddy-spec 1.6d..

I think it is the 1.7CRDi... quite nice I thought - engineered for band A VRT and road tax... the spec on the Exec is massive for €27K...
    http://www.hyundai.ie/templates/hyundai2010/pdf/equipment/i40_Saloon.pdf

pburns wrote: »
    What age are your parents? Why the Octavia vRS rather than the Superb? Or the R-design version of the Volvo rather than SE Lux or whatever that will probably ride better?

The Superb hatch-oon thing is fugly IMO but as an estate it's hard to beat. That new Hyundai i40 thingy might be worth a look as well but they haven't started bringing in the 2.0d engines yet, just the miserable Paddy-spec 1.6d.

The latest C-class has a decent reputation, gets overlooked on Boards. Like the 3-series it's a bit tight size-wise though.

Both 63. Never actually looked at the Superb, but the salesman did recommend it. And for the Volvo, we did look at a SE Lux today. Their not really interested in the Volvo at all anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Lurching wrote: »
    car_pop01.jpg

Yeah, €45k, I'd buy it....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Has Honda pulled the Accord estate from their range in Ireland?

Both 63. Never actually looked at the Superb, but the salesman did recommend it. And for the Volvo, we did look at a SE Lux today. Their not really interested in the Volvo at all anymore.

Get your parents into the Superb and let them decide.

Even if they feel it's a big car, the parking sensors are great (standard in the ELEGANCE). Leather upholstery, heated seats, front and rear, electrically adjustable , extremely comfortable, front seats, great audio system and climate control.

Downside? Due to their popularity, if you are speccing a new one, be prepared to wait 4 to 7 months (depending on spec)

Try to spec a Passat to the same level as the Superb and it will cost you over €10k more. Try the same with an A6 and the difference is more like €20k

I would guess the Superb depreciation curve will be very good. They are in such demand, new, they are very likely to be sought after, used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,702 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    Has Honda pulled the Accord estate from their range in Ireland?

Yep - was removed earlier this year due to lack of sales.

Personally, it would be a toss up between the Superb 170 Elegance Combi with a decent set of wheels (for the unbeatable standard specification), or a V60 D3 in anything higher than ES specification (for the driving pleasure), if you don't need to lug a huge amount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

si_guru wrote: »
    1st in with Superb Estate.

+1

A lot of car for the money!

That said, a BMW 520d touring is around budget, isn't it? That's the best value for money car that BMW has ever offered. I think it comes as standard with self-leveling suspension? Even with the automatic box, it is only €156 motor tax too.

Some motoring journos have called it the best car in the world :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭WestWing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭WestWing

It wouldn't be my choice based on the price, but they are built like tanks and the AWD system is excellent.

unkel wrote: »

And some haven't!

WestWing wrote: »
    It wouldn't be my choice based on the price, but they are built like tanks and the AWD system is excellent.

I have a 09 one but the previous model and paid 15k less than that for a new one at the time. Plus it looks way better. ok mine doesnt have leather, but apart from that the spec is actually decent enough for the base model

They priced the new model nearly in the next class up which it isnt which shows in the lack of sales.

With the introduction of the diesel engine it was a great opportunity to capture a bigger share in the market, but it wasnt to be and the fact the CO2 emmissions of the new car jumped into the next bracket didnt help either.

When you look at the price of a 4x4 Elegance Superb to compare its not hard to see where buyers would go

unkel wrote: »
    +1

A lot of car for the money!

That said, a BMW 520d touring is around budget, isn't it? That's the best value for money car that BMW has ever offered. I think it comes as standard with self-leveling suspension? Even with the automatic box, it is only €156 motor tax too.

They are looking for something new, and would LOVE a 5 series. Only we didn't find a new 5 series with in their budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,702 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Just under €47,000 for a new 5 Series Estate with no extras, so just out of budget. Could live with Flat Black paint, but a manual gearbox - no thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

They are looking for something new, and would LOVE a 5 series. Only we didn't find a new 5 series with in their budget.

Well a base 520d estate has a list price of €46k (and automatic transmission €2k on top of that - they'd be mad not to get it). Surely with a small discount this would be within budget or very near to it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭tweedledee

Any Volvo.:)

R.O.R wrote: »
    Yep - was removed earlier this year due to lack of sales.

That was pretty gormless of Honda. The only reason it wasn't selling was because it was too expensive. The Accord is extremely poor value for money next to a lot of cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Antikythera

Are you looking for advice or are you looking to have your ego massaged?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,602 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

By posting that his folks are looking for a car?:confused:

Thats some pretty poor ego stroking accusation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Post unhelpful rubbish in this thread again and you will receive a ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

New Focus St will be available with a new 250bhp 2.0 Ecoboost engine soon enough. Might be fun?

Dilbert75 wrote: »

Wow, 20 grand?!

I presume it must be mega road tax to be that cheap.

I'm looking for advice on the list of cars I listed, or what to look out for in those cars. We took a look at a Superb estate on Carzone, and they really liked it

• Advertisement
Advertisement