Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you like Phil Collins?

Options
  • 11-09-2011 2:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭

I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Phil Collins' music is ****e. Even Phil Collins knows that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭wolf moon

Yeah, some of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭KungPao

If he's okay by Vic Vance, he's okay by me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

I prefer the Cadburys gorilla.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Solnskaya

never met him. He looks like a bald cnut tho, so, no, I don't like him. His music is pretty good. Well, good for a bald cnut.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,317 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

What appears to be the funniest joke ever in the French language has Phil Collins as the punch line. It's something to do with shoving stuff up your arse or something, I'm not really sure what. But I once sat at a table full of French people who were reduced to tears they laughed so much at it. Personally speaking, there are no words to adequately describe my dislike of Phil Collins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

This man is my hero.

Sorry but how can someone not like this

/floats on air

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Yep. My secret shame since I was a kid. I admit it now because the amount of airtime he gets on radio nova makes me know I'm not alone. And Jesus, he knows I'm right.

Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

I once said I like Phil Collins.
    I got a bad reaction when I said it buts that's the chance I gotta take.
    Well take a look at me now...........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

Works better within the confines of a group though, yeah? You think Invisible Touch was that group's undisputed masterpiece too, don't ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭KungPao

I've heard some bad things about Phil Collins, but most of it is nonce sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke.

I'd to actually do a google search to see how many of Genesis/Phil Collins songs I would actually know. Of those I did recognise,

no. I wouldn't be a fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

From American psycho people.

"Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Christy, take off your robe. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. Sabrina, remove your dress. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Sabrina, why don't you, uh, dance a little. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Christy, get down on your knees so Sabrina can see your asshole. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. Sabrina, don't just stare at it, eat it. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

ehhh ...

Someone's iPod needs to be destroyed ... and it's not mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Bit of a casual fan really, but I do adore 'Going loco down in Acapulco' which I believe he wrote for the Four Tops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Well played.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Every time Phil Collins makes a record, a new born baby dies.

Which is unfortunate for the parents, but a lucky escape for the baby as he / she will never have to hear a Phil Collins song, ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

The Mustard Tiger rocks.......but don't look at his belly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Groovy Kinda Love was my first dance song on my Wedding Day. Nice lyrics, nice song, but couldn't give a flying **** about Phil Collins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I'm enmeshed in a possibly familiar subcultural conundrum where I'm implacably opposed to Phil on an idealogical basis but find myself clandestinely addicted to chart smashes such as Sussudio, One More Night and Separate Lives.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

The Mustard Tiger rocks.......but don't look at his belly.

It's a damn shame that more people didn't make this connection immediately.

Dirty burger would really hit the spot about now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Arianna_26

I like Phil Collins - so long as he stays behind the drums and doesn't say anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Arianna_26 wrote: »
    I like Phil Collins - so long as he stays behind the drums and doesn't say anything.

It's not 1978 anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

Works better within the confines of a group though, yeah? You think Invisible Touch was that group's undisputed masterpiece too, don't ya?
    Teutorix wrote: »
    From American psycho people.

"Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Christy, take off your robe. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. Sabrina, remove your dress. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Sabrina, why don't you, uh, dance a little. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Christy, get down on your knees so Sabrina can see your asshole. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. Sabrina, don't just stare at it, eat it. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite."
    Well played.

Pfff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Arianna_26

stovelid wrote: »
    It's not 1978 anymore?

He played the drums after 1978 - where did you get that year from?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Missed your post general general sir. Hope you can somehow accept my humblest apologies.

Advertisement