Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you like Phil Collins?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

you like huey lewis and the news??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 PrettyButch

Thread should be retitled, "Do you admit to liking Phil Collins?"

I think a lot of people (Although i can't speak for anyone) Like at least 2 of his songs...

Unless his massive selling albums were a lie, and never crossed over to the next generation, i.e. NOTHING of his, even remotely was passed on to people as a kid listening to the radio.

He wouldn't have got near todays X-Factory.

He would need to be 30 years younger (Then he was in the 80's), have no musical talent/knowledge, (And he definitely cannot have been in a band previously).
    He would have to look like he just walked out of a chartbusters tanning salon, and got his hair implants done in Xtravision, and spiked, then brushed to the side, then baggy jeans at the top, getting very tight at the ankles, so it looks like he's wearing a nappy.

Wear a couple of bracelets, or "wrist bands", as is the term nowadays, (from the rubber crap that was a fad for charities a few years back)

Then, and only then, he might be cool enough for anyone to admit liking.

Also, he'd have to keep pushng his left sleeve up when he's talking.

Dunno why, but it looks cool.

Most important, is the looks. He has to look like described above.. It doesn't matter how he sounds.

waca waca waca... :pac:... waca waca waca waca...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

zero19 wrote: »
    I prefer the Cadburys gorilla.

Apparently that was actually Phil Collins in costume. Or maybe with his shirt off, I'm not sure tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

Thread should be retitled, "Do you admit to liking Phil Collins?"

I think a lot of people (Although i can't speak for anyone) Like at least 2 of his songs...

Unless his massive selling albums were a lie, and never crossed over to the next generation, i.e. NOTHING of his, even remotely was passed on to people as a kid listening to the radio.

He wouldn't have got near todays X-Factory.

He would need to be 30 years younger (Then he was in the 80's), have no musical talent/knowledge, (And he definitely cannot have been in a band previously).
    He would have to look like he just walked out of a chartbusters tanning salon, and got his hair implants done in Xtravision, and spiked, then brushed to the side, then baggy jeans at the top, getting very tight at the ankles, so it looks like he's wearing a nappy.

Wear a couple of bracelets, or "wrist bands", as is the term nowadays, (from the rubber crap that was a fad for charities a few years back)

Then, and only then, he might be cool enough for anyone to admit liking.

Also, he'd have to keep pushng his left sleeve up when he's talking.

Dunno why, but it looks cool.

Most important, is the looks. He has to look like described above.. It doesn't matter how he sounds.

waca waca waca... :pac:... waca waca waca waca...

TLDR

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I like a few of Genesis songs like Watcher of the Skies (Excellent drum into by Phil Collins):

And I like a couple of his solo songs like the obligatory In the Air Tonight and Against the Odds.

That's about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

Missed your post general general sir. Hope you can somehow accept my humblest apologies.

Your humblest apologies mean nothing if you do not... bring us a shrubbery!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

New stuff is rubbish - stuff like In The Air Tonight is legendary and far better than most current chart tripe.

As for why wearing bangles should make his music somehow better, that's beyond logic.....even if meant wearing Suzanna Hoffs, the music would be no different.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

I like Phil Collins but I have come across people who deny liking Phil Collins.
    My sister in laws ex left a Phil Collins greatest hits tape in my house one night after a few drinks. To cut a long story short a group of us were out together and headed back to my house for a few drinks and I said " hey you left your Phil Collins greatest hits tape here".
    The ex said "thats not mine". I thought but it is why are you being weird. He turned beetroot and said "no thats not mine" so I said "OK".

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

This is Ssusido....a personal favourite.....

• Advertisement

This is Ssusido....a personal favourite.....

Sussudio really is a great tune. also hello from erep. unless you are a different gordon gecko entirely. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.

Everything that was wrong with 80s popular music in one song - over produced dross with horrible sounding programmed drums & god awful keyboard sounds masking as brass instruments.

The melody / vocals are not all that bad, but by fuck does the music sound terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

Teutorix wrote: »
    Sussudio really is a great tune. also hello from erep. unless you are a different gordon gecko entirely. :o

Apologies for the not entirely word perfect quote but am still a huge, if inebriated, American Psycho fan...

Everything that was wrong with 80s popular music in one song - over produced dross with horrible sounding programmed drums & god awful keyboard sounds masking as brass instruments.

The melody / vocals are not all that bad, but by fuck does the music sound terrible.

Hey man, the cheesy sound is part of this songs appeal for me. There is something about that cheesy 80s sound that just sounds good to me.

A prime example of good 80s music.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

"http://www.youtube.com/embed/K3TesujRfpY"

Best Phil Collins song ever even if its not his own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Loathe Phil Collins and the ' nice guy ' image he tried to cultivate , I was profoundly satisfied when the tabloids exposed him as a philandering egotistical dickhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭punk77

I reckon he overdid the whole hair transplant thing. I was shocked when i saw him performing 'In the air tonight' on that Cadburys ad. He looked like a feckin' gorilla.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Has he a new song out???

I'm a bit partial to a Phil Collins song. Love seperate lives sung with that Marylin woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭kieran26

After reading through 4 pages i'm convinced not enough people have seen American Psycho:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Never seen it. Is it worth a watch?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭tmcw

If you have the time, read the book or wait for a remake. That film could have been so much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pipelaser

Alright, I'm going to weigh in here and call the man a Genius!
    The guy wrote some fantastic tunes, great to listen and to move to.

I found out he was the one who wrote this song just a little while ago.
    It get serious over play with the covers by Mariah and Westlife. But when you see how he sings it in this clip, you really believe the lyrics, hes entirely convincing.(And nice that he makes the little mistake, and laughs it off)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OiV_5kEt6A

Easy Lover is also a fantastic song.

Didn't know he wrote that song for the four Tops.

His problem is just that he looks hateful! Looking at him I just cant bring myself to like the guy. He does come across as a bit self centered. But he is a bit of an underdog, no hair!, not that great lookin, not a whole lot of charm, but despite all this he still achieved, and that is commendable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

I like Phil Collins but I have come across people who deny liking Phil Collins.
    My sister in laws ex left a Phil Collins greatest hits tape in my house one night after a few drinks. To cut a long story short a group of us were out together and headed back to my house for a few drinks and I said " hey you left your Phil Collins greatest hits tape here".
    The ex said "thats not mine". I thought but it is why are you being weird. He turned beetroot and said "no thats not mine" so I said "OK".
    Phil Collins denial is a crime in Germany.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

Can't stand the bastard. Avoid him and his stupid noise making as best I can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Yeah Hes awesome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Like the music but cant stand the guy himself.

Isint he one of those fukwits who failed to make good on their promise to leave the UK if Labour won the 1997 Election.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Rocket_Man

Whatever you think about Collins as a singer-and personally I think he is very good-nobody can deny that he is an outstanding drummer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭busyliving

Can't believe that it took 14 posts to get the American Psycho connection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

:mad: Hate Phil collins.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

A few brilliant songs, both solo and with Genesis, up to the early 90s.

- Turn It On Again
    - The World We Live In
    - Mama
    - In The Air Tonight (wish I still associated it with Crockett and Tubbs driving around moodily rather than that damn gorilla)
    - Invisible Touch
    - Easy Lover

A few of the soppy ones.

Truly hideous after the early 90s, but I still have a good bit of respect for auld Phil. He could deliver a toon.

Advertisement