Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you like Phil Collins?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I've always had a soft spot for Phil Collins. Great musician.
    When I was a kid, I used to mix him and Bill Murray up. I could never understand why the guy from Ghostbusters was singer about some poor homeless chick :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

bronte wrote: »

you like huey lewis and the news??
    I was trying to listen to the latest Robert Palmer album...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Whatever you like or dislike about Phil Collins, without him this moment of brilliance would be without him:

Also, he's gone a bit nuts recently:
    Genesis frontman Phil Collins says that his R&B covers album, Going Back, will be his last album. His next project? A book about his large collection of Alamo and Texas Revolution artifacts, according to Billboard.com.

“It’s a huge collection of memorabilia from the Alamo and before and after it, basically the Texas Revolution in general,” said Collins, who was first inspired by Texas history as a child after watching the Walk Disney film, Davy Crockett. “It’s basically the history of all the things I’ve collected and putting them in the context of the revolution. It’s in progress and it’s entertaining.”

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

"http://www.youtube.com/embed/K3TesujRfpY"

Best Phil Collins song ever even if its not his own.
    ...and I thought one Phil Collins was too many!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Peter Gabriel ftw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,942 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I absolutely ****ing love Phil Collins. Love him!

I'm gutted I'll probably never get to see him live. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Nevermind_

Possibly the greatest scene from an 80's tv show.
    I think i actually cried when miami vice ended

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Some of his stuff is good, I agree.

I like One More Night.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Nevermind_ wrote: »
    Possibly the greatest scene from an 80's tv show.
    I think i actually cried when miami vice ended

Aah, the scrumptious Don Johnson...whatever happened to him?

There's a guy who deserves a TV comeback.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke.

Well in that case, you've missed the best.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Arianna_26 wrote: »
    He played the drums after 1978 - where did you get that year from?

He played them way before that.

But I was joking and plucked the year out at random.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

Yes some great tunes from that man :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭washiskin

I loved his first to solo albums - "Hello, I Must Be Going" is particularly great.
    Personally, I think it started to slide with "No Jacket Required".
    He was great live - saw him in the Point in the early 90's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

The bit where the drums come in on In The Air Tonight is the only snippet of his music that I can bring myself to listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 john4592

but sure hes been living in sweden since around that time.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

I think Invisible Touch is the group's undisputed masterpiece.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 john4592

"the world we live in" is actually called land of confusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭Underdraft

"The Tarzan soundtrack is his undisputed masterpiece."

I also like how he appears to have turned into a genuinely bitter old man. Check out at 2:33 how he's changed the lyrics from "she'll mess up your life" to "she'll fúck up your life". I also like his delivery of the line and the look of hatred as he says it. Don't know what the story is there but that's defo something biographical for Mr Collins. I like it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Do you like Phil Collins?
    Except for some earlier stuff, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I recently saw a TV program in which a young, radical journalist was interviewing Ice-T at his home. And the guy asked, "What do you got in the record collection, Ice?" And lo and behold, all my albums were there. The guy said, "Aw, come on, man, what is this bull****?" And Ice-T jumped on him and said, `Don`t mess with Phil, man. Don`t you f*cking mess with my Phil." What can I say? I was flattered that the guy even knew I existed. - Phil Collins.

Haters! Haters all!!! I'd have to concur with Ice-T - don't you f*cking mess with my man Phil either!

Seriously - the whole Phil Collins hating thing has become a little bit of a cliché. No, he never threatened to leave the UK if Labour got in in 1997.

When I think of all of Phil's achievements, having John Martyn as his house guest for nearly a year when both of them were going through messy divorces deserves a f*cking medal. Most people would have had to have been a cross between a zookeeper, barman and psychoanalyst to have put up with Martyn for more than thirty minutes.

Phil Collins' work as producer and drummer on Martyn's 1980 Grace and Danger album is sublime.

As a drummer, I love his session work on Jack Lancaster's forgotten 1976 gem Marscape and all the early Brand X stuff too. There's also the Chinese Walls LP with ex-EWF singer Philip Bailey.

Not to mention the sterling job he did on Live Aid drumming for and holding together a disintegrating post Faustian-pact Led Zeppelin.

Oh, and there's also all that Genesis stuff.

He's always been highly regarded by the black R&B'ers. It only seems to be the skinny white talentless middle class kids like Paul Morley that have a bee in their bonnet. Tall poppy syndrome? Not obscure enough? Too MOR?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,995 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

his first album (the one with "In the air tonight" on it) is surprisingly listenable & I liked the "Invisible Touch" album at the time (still quite like the title track).

Saw a documentary about the recent Genesis reunion and he came across as a total jerk though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

Outside of any work he did with Peter Gabriels Genesis, this is his best work. He doesnt sing on it or write it, but he produced it and plays drums.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,942 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I've never heard that song before but it's brilliant. I think if I heard it without knowing who was playing the drums, I'd probably have guessed it was Phil. He has such a distinctive sound and way of playing!

• Site Banned Posts: 236 ✭✭vader65

Favourite Genesis song "I Can't Dance" Favourite Phil song "You Can't Hurry Love" Not a massive fan of either, but both do have a couple of good songs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Very underrated musician, As a musician myself its actually sad what has happened to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke.

Forgive me if I am covering old ground here. But has no one seen what the OP was doing here?

Advertisement