Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which of these monitors

Options
  • 11-09-2011 5:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

I'm looking at 2 1080P 24 inch monitors that are are fairly close on price and I'm not sure which to go for.
    They're a Benq G2420HD and a Philips 244E1SB.

Anyone have either of them or have any insight on which is better?
    Or any suggestions on another monitor close to that price range?
    Must have HDMI because I'll be hooking it up to my xbox 360 too.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

I like that BenQ, it has way better specs then the phillips. Think i will have to order one of those myself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

I'd go for the BenQ, a friend of mine got it recently and its great, also hooks it up to his 360 !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

I'm Burgo's mate that has the G2420HD, it's great. Got it because it's meant to have fairly low lag (I play a lot of fighting games so low delay is important to me), but it's been brilliant in every respect. That said I'm not an expert on monitors.

Ordered the BenQ earlier today :) looking forward to getting it. Excellent value. Might end up getting a second one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭after_shock3000

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    I'm Burgo's mate that has the G2420HD, it's great. Got it because it's meant to have fairly low lag (I play a lot of fighting games so low delay is important to me), but it's been brilliant in every respect. That said I'm not an expert on monitors.

Ya, from everything I read the Benq is looking the best by far. I've read a few mini reviews by people who bought it and they all praise it. The only negative thing I read about it was 1 or 2 people complaining that you get some motion judder when the view is panning in a game or movie. That could just be people being overly picky though.
    As long as there isn't any major ghosting or anything I'd be happy.
    Have you noticed any judder/ghosting from your use so far?

If you hook the 360 up via HDMI, I assume you can get the sound through the headphone jack?
    Limericks wrote: »
    Ordered the BenQ earlier today looking forward to getting it. Excellent value. Might end up getting a second one
    Ya, the price is great alright. I didn't think I'd get a 24 inch for that money at all. I'd say I won't be far behind you with ordering it :).

• Advertisement

No ghosting/judder though again I might not have the keenest eye for it (reckon I would've noticed ghosting though).

For connecting the xbox through the HDMI you can connect both the HDMI cable and another AV cable to the 360 and have the other one's audio jacks going to your speakers (as far as I know this works grand), or buy one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-HDMI-Cable-Audio-Adapter/dp/B000VUVCK6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315949160&sr=8-1

No ghosting/judder though again I might not have the keenest eye for it (reckon I would've noticed ghosting though).

For connecting the xbox through the HDMI you can connect both the HDMI cable and another AV cable to the 360 and have the other one's audio jacks going to your speakers (as far as I know this works grand), or buy one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-HDMI-Cable-Audio-Adapter/dp/B000VUVCK6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315949160&sr=8-1

Thats enough to put my mind at ease that the judder is barely noticeable anyway (if its even there at all).
    Have you tried HDMI audio on it yet? Just asking because from what I've read, if you hook up the 360 with HDMI you should be able to plug headphones/speakers into the jack on the monitor to get the audio. Just wanted to confirm it.

No, haven't tried it yet, though I can have a go tomorrow and confirm for you.

No, haven't tried it yet, though I can have a go tomorrow and confirm for you.

If you get a chance let me know, thanks.
    I'll just be hooking a turtle beach headset up to it. I think I have a phono to 3.5mm adaptor there anyway that would work with the AV adaptor you linked to.
    Itching to buy it now lol. Plenty of games coming out over the next few months to make use of it.

Found a very detailed review of the g2411hd on prad.de last night. Same monitor but with a matte finish to the frame being the only difference. Seems like a great gaming monitor for the price so I went ahead and ordered :) . Hoping komplett might have it to me by Friday. Haven't ordered from them since before their previous downfall, so I don't know how quick they are now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I have the G2420HD monitor a few months now, no dead pixels, clear display, great monitor, would highly reccomend it, Use it through DVI, although it also does HDMI/VGA

Nick

Found a very detailed review of the g2411hd on prad.de last night. Same monitor but with a matte finish to the frame being the only difference. Seems like a great gaming monitor for the price so I went ahead and ordered :) . Hoping komplett might have it to me by Friday. Haven't ordered from them since before their previous downfall, so I don't know how quick they are now.

Not a chance, I asked them would I have mine by Friday and I ordered yesterday, basically they said slim to none :P

I don't mind waiting til monday but it would have been nice to have it for the weekend.

Not a chance, I asked them would I have mine by Friday and I ordered yesterday, basically they said slim to none :P

I don't mind waiting til monday but it would have been nice to have it for the weekend.

Early next week isn't too bad I suppose, at least it'll be here in time for Gears 3 :) .
    I got an email earlier to say it was dispatched with An Post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

The Benq gets very good reviews on amazon. It's cheaper than amazon too! Tempted myself now to go with my new build, was going to get a 23" off hwvs for just a bit less. Do komplett still do free shipping?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Redisle wrote: »
    The Benq gets very good reviews on amazon. It's cheaper than amazon too! Tempted myself now to go with my new build, was going to get a 23" off hwvs for just a bit less. Do komplett still do free shipping?

Yeah they still do free delivery with an post.

Here's the review I was talking about in the post above. Review. Same hardware, just matt black plastic instead of gloss, so all the tests should apply to the 2420. Might help ya to make up your mind either way.

For some reason my tracking code says its in galway! Hope to have it tomorrow though!

Got mien about an hour ago. Real nice monitor. Only thing is it seems the colours on top of the screen seem to be darker then the bottom. I am guessing its cos I am using VGA. Will post back once my cables come in the post and im off analogue connections!

Got mien about an hour ago. Real nice monitor. Only thing is it seems the colours on top of the screen seem to be darker then the bottom. I am guessing its cos I am using VGA. Will post back once my cables come in the post and im off analogue connections!

The brightness around the screen not being perfectly uniform would be fairly common in a TN panel that size anyway. I'm expecting a little bit of that myself.
    Mine is out for delivery in my area, but I'm not home :( . Guess I'll be picking it up tomorrow.

Just set mine up. Hooked it up to the xbox with HDMI, and the picture quality is epic. Played a quick race in Forza 3 there just for a test, no sign of any ghosting/juddering or any problems at all whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Got one of the G2420HD screens today from hwvs with my build only to find a nasty stuck red pixel just to the right of the center of the screen :(

Trying to fix it with various flashing apps but no luck so far.

Wonder if they take returns for a single pixel or is there still a requirement for multiple dead pixels? Will be a pita to ship back to Germany too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Got one of the G2420HD screens today from hwvs with my build only to find a nasty stuck red pixel just to the right of the center of the screen :(

Trying to fix it with various flashing apps but no luck so far.

Wonder if they take returns for a single pixel or is there still a requirement for multiple dead pixels? Will be a pita to ship back to Germany too.

Worried about the same, anyone know which sites are good to deal with for the odd dead/stuck pixel.

Any comments on the LED one.

Planing on getting 2 and having some sort of mount for em to connect to desk.

Advertisement