Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Project Maths Text and Tests 1

• 11-09-2011 8:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

There are 18 chapters in this book and it is intended for first year students only. Do most teachers move through the chapters in order?

How many chapters are expected to be covered by Christmas holidays?

Many Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭jonseyblub

mabrophy wrote: »
    There are 18 chapters in this book and it is intended for first year students only. Do most teachers move through the chapters in order?

How many chapters are expected to be covered by Christmas holidays?

Many Thanks

Don't follow the book. Follow the syllabus. The common introductory course for 1st years in it somewhere. The books have far more content in it than what you'll be able to possibly teach this year. Follow the syllabus and relate it to the book for probems and homework.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

Your school should have a scheme of work to guide what you should have to cover and when.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Always remember, that the JC and LC exams are based on a syllabus, not on a book.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 mabrophy

I'm not a teacher. I'm a research student in TCD doing a project on maths education so unfortunately I don't have access to a syllabus.

Would you have an idea of what parts of the syllabus you would get covered by Christmas?

Also, what do you start off with in September?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

I'm not a teacher. I'm a research student in TCD doing a project on maths education so unfortunately I don't have access to a syllabus...

Umm, you do! The syllabus etc for every subject is available on the Dept of Education and Skills website: Dept. of Education and Skills. I'd also be seriously surprised if there wasn't a copy of it in the library in TCD. With all due respect, I'd brush up on my basic research skills first before starting on your project!

As for the number of chapters to cover before Christmas, that will depend on the ability level of the students being taught so I doubt that there's any definitive answer to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭jonseyblub

I'm not a teacher. I'm a research student in TCD doing a project on maths education so unfortunately I don't have access to a syllabus.

Would you have an idea of what parts of the syllabus you would get covered by Christmas?

Also, what do you start off with in September?

Thanks

Syllabi

http://www.ncca.ie/en/Curriculum_and_Assessment/Post-Primary_Education/Project_Maths/Syllabuses_and_Assessment/PM_SA_Other_Schools.html

Most schools i'd imagine would start with natural numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

We started with sets this year. It varies considerably. The only real constant is we're all aiming to at least cover the common course in first year. More if your class is good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

I always start with Sets! Just be careful with the Syllabi....there's about a dozen of them these days due to the phased introduction of PM.

Advertisement