Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

barrel lenght vs velocity

Options
  • 11-09-2011 9:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

here's a bit of a technical question for ye.
    if a bullet manufacturer gives an advertised velocity for a certain round when used in a particular length barrel, will firing that same round from a longer barrel give a higher velocity?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

declan1980 wrote: »
    here's a bit of a technical question for ye.
    if a bullet manufacturer gives an advertised velocity for a certain round when used in a particular length barrel, will firing that same round from a longer barrel give a higher velocity?
    No ,not always the case .....in fact ive seen 2-4" longer barrels than manufacture advertised and would be still not attchiveing stated velocity .You can simply have a fast or slow barrel !Also your chamber can have an effect on velocity,aswell .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭tfox

The amount of jump the bullet has i.e how far it moves from the case until it hits the lands of the rifling has a big affect on velocity, hence why reloading gives you the opportunity to get it just right by lengthening the round :)

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Hondata92

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Myself and Paulo6.5 Chron'ed 150 grain SST's out of my .308 20" barrel and His Styer Tactical elite that I think has a 22" barrel and there was no notable difference in speeds.

I never Chrono'ed my .223 and it is on my to-do list.
    I keep forgetting to :o

Must also buy a chrono;)

Advertisement