Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good laptop advice

Options
  • 11-09-2011 9:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭

Hi any advice appreciated and SUGGESTIONS on the laptop I should get:

Need a laptop for work including presentations, video, lots of photography and editing. Would also like the functionality of reasonable leisure use (games etc but not hardcore gameing ). Hope I am not being too picky with the following list. I just got rid of my last laptop, pretty much could not use due to Glossy screen.

Some things I need in my laptop in order of preference:
    • Robust and Mobility: “strong” housing and screen. Reasonable weight Size 14 inch or there about screen
    • Matte screen: Hate Glossy with a passion.Also prefer “square” than widescreen so you use more of screen for photos and presentations. Not a major point and they all seem to be “wide” now.
    • HDD 500GB +
    • Processor i5 +
    • Ram 4Gb +
    • Ports: as many as can get for best value including USB 3.0 ideally
    • Wireless internet..whatever that requies? WiFi available usually where I work.
    • DVD writer not essential but great if has
    • Warranty: 1 year min, more if not paying excessively for.
    • OS: Windows 7, I have a purchased copy of home premium I can use but most laptops seem to come pre installed.
    • Other specs: LIke bluetooth or any suggestions? again great if have but lower on "wish" list
    • Budget: Somewhat flexible but do want value for money (€700 to €1500)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Getting very hard to get a well specced machine with a Matte screen unless going for a business line.

Dell Vostro Notebook 3450 can be had for reasonable money. 14" matte with i7, AMD Radeon™ HD 6630M 1GB and HDD as big as your willing to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Greyfoot

wingnut wrote: »
    Getting very hard to get a well specced machine with a Matte screen unless going for a business line.

Dell Vostro Notebook 3450 can be had for reasonable money. 14" matte with i7, AMD Radeon™ HD 6630M 1GB and HDD as big as your willing to pay.

+1 on that, go to dell.ie and customize one. The budget you have allows to choose from some very good spec dells. They robust and reliable thats for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

Is the Vostro reasonable build quality, how do you think the latitude is better?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

work wrote: »
    Is the Vostro reasonable build quality, how do you think the latitude is better?
    Latitudes are fantastic but the vostro's are great value and have great build quality and performance .

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

I am looking at the following laptop:
    Dell Latitude E6420 € 1,321.00)

http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=l0864203&c=ie&l=en&s=bsd&cs=iebsdt1&model_id=latitude-e6420

PLEASE ADVISE IF YOU THINK THE SET UP IS GOOD AND IF THE ALTERATIONS I MADE ARE NEEDED?

I made some alterations to this laptop these include:
    • · It comes as 32 bit but it is free to make 64 bit, is there any reason to not run the OS at 64bit (I ask as the 32 bit is the OS by default.
    • · It comes with a Primary 6 cell 60WHR Battery but I upgradred to Primary 9 cell 97WHR Battery
    • · No Full HD Camera with Microphone, I upgraded to Integrated Full HD Camera with Microphone. I caoont seem to see the power of this camera?
    • · No Modem is included: I added Worldwide Internal 56.6K V.92. Do I need this, is this just for wired internet?
    • · I added Fingerprint Reader and Contactless Smartcard Reade. Good idea?
    • · Internal Dell Wireless 5550 MiniCard Sim not included. This is not included. I added this what is it and what is the sim card not included?

Components of this laptop are

English Genuine Windows® 7 Professional (64Bit)
    One Intel Core I5-2520M (2.50GHz, 3MB cache, Dual Core)
    Microsoft® Office Starter 2010 (No full-featured Microsoft® Office software included)
    Trend Micro Worry Free Business Security 3.5 (15 Month) Software MUI
    14.0in HD+(1600x900) LED-backlit with Premium Panel Guarantee Display
    NVIDIA NVS 4200M (35W) Discrete Graphics
    4GB 1333MHz DDR3 Memory (2x2GB)
    500GB Serial ATA II (7.200 Rpm)
    DVD +/-RW Drive
    Dell 375 Bluetooth Card
    Primary 9 cell 97WHR Battery
    Integrated Full HD Camera with Microphone
    EMEA Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 (802.11 a/b/g/n) Half Mini Card
    Worldwide Internal 56.6K V.92
    Internal UK/Irish Qwerty Standard Keyboard (antimicrobial)
    UK/Irish 90W AC Adapter with UK/Irish Power Cord
    Latitude E6420 : Standard Base
    Fingerprint Reader and Contactless Smartcard Reader
    Dell Backup and Recovery Manager for Windows® 7 SP1
    HD+ LCD Panel
    Internal Dell Wireless 5550 MiniCard Sim not included
    Accessories
    No Carry Case
    Include details on the Millenniata Online M-Disc Service on my order confirmation
    Services & Software
    3Yr Basic Warranty - NBD Included - No Upgrade Selected
    Declined Accidental Damage offer
    No Asset Label Required
    No Out-of-Band Systems Management
    Also Includes
    MUI Windows® 7 Professional SP1 (64Bit) Resource DVD
    Latitude Order - Ireland
    L0864203
    Roxio Starter DVD Software
    PowerDVD Software Vista Home Prem and Ultimate,WIN7 Home Prem,Pro and Ultimate
    Windows Live For windows 7
    3Yr Basic Warranty - Next Business Day
    Intel Core Label I52
    English,Danish,Dutch,Finish,French,Norwegian,Swedish shipping Docs

• Advertisement
Advertisement