Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Radio 1 Extra

• 11-09-2011 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

This morning Radio 1 is broadcasting live rugby from NZ, the commentary is not available outside Ireland. Ok so I'll listen to John Bowman on Radio 1 Extra but no they have the same game ,the same recorded message.
    So, what is the point of R1 Extra?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Because RTE in general are half arsed about their whole operation.

I'm going to go semi off topic here and your thread in fact saves me from creating one:
    I had this morning's match recorded on PVR to watch at a more reasonable time, because there are few things that will get me out of bed at 7am on a sunday...so having woken at around 11, I stick on radio news as usual ...3 stories in (9/11, Norris, arrest in murder case) the newsreader dives STRAIGHT into the match result...
    :mad:
    No warning, no turn away now or cover your ears, not even "In the rugby WC..." just jumped straight into the result.
    No consideration for listeners, no thought that a mere 2 hrs after the games over that those who haven't seen it might want to wait until later or avoid having it spoilt.
    They've done this on the TV with football results too in the past. F1 as well (they don't carry this in fairness)

My own fault for listening? Perhaps, but the utterance of a few words before announcing it is a common practice on other broadcasters.
    I just think it shows a complete lack of thought for some of the listeners and sums up for me the amateurishness of the whole outfit...which goes some way to answering your question, I hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Actually, the whole "digital" RTE (TV and radio) thing smacks of half-arsed, token efforts all round, tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Radio 1 Extra is a joke, it simulcasts Radio 1 most of the time, when it could be used to provide alternative programming or repeats.

It is like a Station they set up, and then forgot about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,747 ✭✭✭squonk

Wertz wrote: »
    Because RTE in general are half arsed about their whole operation.

I'm going to go semi off topic here and your thread in fact saves me from creating one:
    I had this morning's match recorded on PVR to watch at a more reasonable time, because there are few things that will get me out of bed at 7am on a sunday...so having woken at around 11, I stick on radio news as usual ...3 stories in (9/11, Norris, arrest in murder case) the newsreader dives STRAIGHT into the match result...
    :mad:
    No warning, no turn away now or cover your ears, not even "In the rugby WC..." just jumped straight into the result.
    No consideration for listeners, no thought that a mere 2 hrs after the games over that those who haven't seen it might want to wait until later or avoid having it spoilt.
    They've done this on the TV with football results too in the past. F1 as well (they don't carry this in fairness)

My own fault for listening? Perhaps, but the utterance of a few words before announcing it is a common practice on other broadcasters.
    I just think it shows a complete lack of thought for some of the listeners and sums up for me the amateurishness of the whole outfit...which goes some way to answering your question, I hope.

Sports 'journalists' in general just come across to me as half-arsed broadcasters. it's like they finished bottom of the class in communications college and the only gig they could get was reporting on sport. There just doesn't seem to be the same concept of standards there as there is in regular news production. It's like 'Hey, we're sport, it's cool, let's all be casual' but it actually comes across more as unprofessional. Now there are some great ones for sure, Jimmy McGee, Michael Lister, Bill O'Herlihy and the like but an awful lot of the rest of them are just halfwits.

On a side note, I particularly dislike soccer reporters. It seems most of them seem to believe that speaking in a semi-shouting way is a normal way to communicate. Also, cutting to some soccer commentator screaming his arse off at a goal isn't particularly nice. It seems to be something I'd associate with Sky/British commentators. By comparison Ger Canning is fairly understated in GAA match commentary and George Hamilton is a class act.

In general it just appears there's a lot of unprofessionalism there that's tolerated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Funny thing was Jacqui Hurley was on with Finnucane that morning saying that she too had recorded the match an hour ahead (but had wisely avoided contact with anyone) so she could have an extra hour in bed.

With that in mind it's not unforeseeable that people in licence payer land maybe had it recorded too and would like to avoid knowing the score.
    I have to say though that it was Michael Murphy reading out the news bulletin and he did the sport as well...well I say sport, it was just the score in the rugby, nothing else, with no warnings as I said...that's what pissed me off. What was stranger that at the 12 news, he didn't read out the score...

I'll know better for the aussie match although it's on at a more reasonable hour.

I have no problem with much of their sports coverage in fairness to them...it's the lack of any thought for people when announcing scores. I can't say I've ever heard them warning viewers on saturday 6:1 either, in case they might be waiting for the premiership on RTÉ2. BBC do it every week without fail; the famous "Look away now"

Anyway I'm over it, was a crap match anyhow, but it wasn't the point and my point about amateurish outfit stands.

• Advertisement
Advertisement