Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping - where and when?

Options
  • 11-09-2011 9:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

Hi, I'm staying in Glenomena and I am a bit new to this cooking for myself thing!

I'm just wondering where do people generally shop? I know there's Centra, but it probably isn't as cheap as supermarkets.

Tesco on Nutley Lane is probably the closest but if I go home for the weekend, it closes at 8 on Sunday night, which usually means it's closed by the time I get there. Do people generally shop in Tesco Dundrum, as it's 24 hours? There's also a Lidl in Dundrum but I've never been in it, and I think it closes early on Sunday night also.

What do people normally do for shopping? If I don't go home at the weekend then it's not a big problem, but if I do go home, due to bus times etc, I wouldn't be in UCD until 8/9pm.

I have a bike if it helps, so it doesn't have to be within walking distance!
    I should also say I don't start until 10am on Mondays so there might be a possibility of shopping early in the morning, I'm not sure what works best!
    Thanks, Jack.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭cozzie55

jc2008 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm staying in Glenomena and I am a bit new to this cooking for myself thing!

I'm just wondering where do people generally shop? I know there's Centra, but it probably isn't as cheap as supermarkets.

Tesco on Nutley Lane is probably the closest but if I go home for the weekend, it closes at 8 on Sunday night, which usually means it's closed by the time I get there. Do people generally shop in Tesco Dundrum, as it's 24 hours? There's also a Lidl in Dundrum but I've never been in it, and I think it closes early on Sunday night also.

What do people normally do for shopping? If I don't go home at the weekend then it's not a big problem, but if I do go home, due to bus times etc, I wouldn't be in UCD until 8/9pm.

I should also say I don't start until 10am on Mondays so there might be a possibility of shopping early in the morning, I'm not sure what works best!
    Thanks, Jack.

I've been in UCD for 4 years and I have to say i've never shopped on a sunday nite when coming back up from the country. Most of the places around UCD are closed before 9 so I never get the time. Your best bet and what i always do is to buy some milk/cereal in a shop in town before coming out to UCD that way you can have breakfast on monday morning and go shopping then on monday evening.
    Tesco on nutley lane is the closet to you by far. There is a good supervalue in mount merrion aswell. Its close enough to UCD but its hard to find the first time you go looking for it because its in the middle of a housing estate. Look for "the rise" mount merion and then its along that road. Dundrum is a bit further away and if you are cycling expect some very hard hills to have cycle up.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭jc2008

Thanks, yes shopping on Monday evening probably is the more sustainable solution! Although I finish at 4 on Mondays, whereas on Tuesdays I finish at 2, so possibly shopping on Tuesdays (most stuff will keep in the freezer over the weekend, probably - except for things like bread and milk, I can buy those fresh).

I knew about the Supervalu (and sure enough, had trouble finding it the first time - went up the hill instead of down the hill and found myself among a bunch of houses), but from looking around I thought it was kind of expensive, no cheaper than Centra, for example. (this was last year though, I haven't been in it recently).

Thank you! Yea and there are some fierce hills going to Dundrum, it'd nearly be easy to walk because of the hills. Although if I go out the Clonskeagh exit of UCD and cycle towards Goatstown, it's longer but flatter, as opposed to cycling out the Foster Avenue exit and heading up to Mount Anville.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭cozzie55

Thanks, yes shopping on Monday evening probably is the more sustainable solution! Although I finish at 4 on Mondays, whereas on Tuesdays I finish at 2, so possibly shopping on Tuesdays (most stuff will keep in the freezer over the weekend, probably - except for things like bread and milk, I can buy those fresh).

I knew about the Supervalu (and sure enough, had trouble finding it the first time - went up the hill instead of down the hill and found myself among a bunch of houses), but from looking around I thought it was kind of expensive, no cheaper than Centra, for example. (this was last year though, I haven't been in it recently).

Thank you! Yea and there are some fierce hills going to Dundrum, it'd nearly be easy to walk because of the hills. Although if I go out the Clonskeagh exit of UCD and cycle towards Goatstown, it's longer but flatter, as opposed to cycling out the Foster Avenue exit and heading up to Mount Anville.

Thats generally what most people do. The amount of people getting the bus from town between 9 and 10 at night on a sunday with a litre of milk and a loaf of bread is huge.

As for dundrum. Don't go by goatstown either I live up near the goat and that is one long hill from UCD to the goat. Best bet is down bird avenue and then the dundrum road. no hills but its by far the longest way.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Swifty_N

cozzie55 wrote: »
    As for dundrum. Don't go by goatstown either I live up near the goat and that is one long hill from UCD to the goat. Best bet is down bird avenue and then the dundrum road. no hills but its by far the longest way.

There's also a cut through to Dundrum Road by Gledswood Park and Mulvey Park which is a bit quicker and flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

Thanks, Jack.

If you need to I think you can grab your breakfast on Monday in either the Main Restaurant or Arts' Cafe. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement