Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to France

Options
  • 11-09-2011 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

hi all
    im planning on moving to france in january2012.
    does anyone know what info i need to bring for working, health insurance ect?
    also any other advice from someone who has done the same would be great.
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,512 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

what's this got to do with C&T, unless you are looking for ferry options or some such...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Well you'll need to know who's taking the horse. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Moved from Commuting & Transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

At some stage you will need your Birth Cert, I could almost guarantee it. Photocopies of your passport would be handy too. If you're working in a proper company (and not just a bakery or something) then they might be able to guide you on Health Insurance. Their version of the Medical Card is the Carte Vitale, and it is notoriously difficult for foreigners to weedle their way into that system. As an aside, GP visits and small prescriptions are relatively cheap (€23 for a visit) so unless you need to go to hospital it shouldn't break the bank. You can get little "mutuels" for less than €200 per year but as I said your employer may already have something like that in place.

For working, I'm not sure of any documents you'll need. For work-related things like bank accounts, you will need a fixed address *with your name on the postbox* and probably a bill in your name too.

Also note that the "Taxe d'Habitation" has to be paid by the person living there on January 1st, so try not to move in on or before then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 O.

Good points Aard.

Basically it will all depend of the job you'll have and the time you spend in France.
    If you have a proper job in a formal company (not a small job aka barman or shop assistant things like that) they'll have an health insurance plan but you do have to register to the national health system if you stay more than 6 months.( Less than 6 months you can get the European health card from Ireland) and it's the ****ing French administration, they don't give a **** and are lazy. So be prepared to lose a lot of time there.

Regarding to the Bank account, you'll need ID justification, a place where you stay with an electricity bill. Most of the banks ask for salary justification too and last bank statements.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭sunshinediver

Your employer should look after your carde vital, when you visit the doctor you'll pay 23 euro but get 20 euro refunded into your bank account within a day. Hospital stays or treatment will also be covered by this but expect to pay something for MRI scans etc, maybe 80quid or so. It won't be as expensive as Ireland. If you're going to get sick or need an operation you're better off in France.

As regards the bank situation you will need a fixed address, you won't be able to find an apartment without a bank account tho, its a catch 22. Have someone french come with you to the bank and open the account using their address. You will be listed as c/o (their address) This is whats done in these situations, it's just not advertised.

French beuracracy works fine as long as you don't expect them to do anything for you outside of normal working hours.

Expect to have to wait in queues a lot.

On the whole France is a good place to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

My flatmate in France made an appointment for me to see his bank manager, that way opening an account was INCREDIBLY easy -I signed my name about 6 times and done. If you're going completely on your I'd try opening an account with LCL.

Advertisement