Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone have knowledge on .22 licence????

Options
  • 11-09-2011 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi, i have recently applied for a .22lr licence. Was happy enough until i was talking to a few guys from the gun club i just joined.They told me I had no chance of getting cause they couldnt get one.One guy in paticular had target shooting on his application but he wasnt a member of a range and was turned down. He applied again with all the proper signatures from farmers and was turned down again. He was in the army and trained with bigger rifles than .22. Now i feel like ive wasted time and money. Im 30- have a drunk and disorderly charge when i was 20/21(not my fault may i add) I was caught drink drving 6 years ago( stupid stupid mistake) and was caught with no seatbelt a few years back. Other than that ive never been in trouble with the law and feel totally embarssed by the above.On my application i have two signatures one from a farmer allowing me to hunt and kill vermin on his land and another one from my grandmother allowing me to hunt and kill vermin on her land which we live on about 50/60 acres.I have the gun handling certificate.And im a member of the local gun club. has anyone else been in my situation before and got it????? Thanx guys for taking time to read my autobiography lol

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

What area are you in if you dont mind telling us ?

If it is the case that you have/will be refused I would ask for a meeting with your Superintendant and see if there is anything that you can do to change his mind. If that doesnt work you can take your superintendant to court as you seem to have a legitimate reason. I could not see why (and hope) your past would affect that decision as they are mistakes that happened a long time ago.

GH

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Hi.

Just because other lads in the club have been refused .22 licences, that doesn't mean that you would be refused. Don't mind what they say to you, they aren't making the decision on your firearm certificate. Each application is taken on its own merits so you were right to apply for the firearm.

Your chances of success possibly depend on how the Law view your previous history.

None of your previous convictions show a history of violence so that has to be taken as a positive.

Maybe they will look at the fact that two of your slip-ups were drink related and that might impact negatively but then again, they were a good few years ago, so maybe they won't negatively affect the decision.

Look, nobody can answer 100% what will happen, but hopefully it will work out for you.

By the way, what kind of gun club are you in. Is it target shooting or hunting?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

I have had a good few driving charges however not drink driving. My fo told me they dont really look at traffic charges thats why i was granted my three licences. Again i dont know if this would apply to drink driving or if its just my station that is like this. The drunk and disorderly was eight or so years ago so hopefully the guard will see you have grown up. You have your application in with the correct stuff(land permission,training cert) so all you can do is wait and see. If you get refused dont give up. Ask why you were refused and try speak to the super and let him see for himself that your worthy of a firearm. Hope this helps

tommy

• Registered Users Posts: 38 a.j.m1981

What area are you in if you dont mind telling us ?

If it is the case that you have/will be refused I would ask for a meeting with your Superintendant and see if there is anything that you can do to change his mind. If that doesnt work you can take your superintendant to court as you seem to have a legitimate reason. I could not see why (and hope) your past would affect that decision as they are mistakes that happened a long time ago.

GH

Donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 38 a.j.m1981

Its a hunting club, but they have an area for rifles they cant call it a rifle range for licence reasons or something.Thanx guys for your comments.Starting to panic abit now really want to get my hands on one. huntings been in my family for years now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭rabbit assassin

A neighbour of mine had his 2 guns taken off him after he was caught for drink driving the second time. He got them back after 6 months. The latest Ive heard that traffic offences will not affect your firearms application but if you have been caught drink driving you may be seen as a danger to the public and this may very well affect your application. If it was over 6 years ago Ive been told it wont matter. If all else just organise a meeting and have a chat with the super and show him your a decent lad and wont pose a threat to anyone, we all make mistakes when we are young but a chat with the super would certainly do no harm. Just wait and see what happens before you panic and dont seem so itchy to get it or else it will be refused for sure.

Best of luck :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

a.j.m1981 wrote: »
    .They told me I had no chance of getting cause they couldnt get one.

Thats crap plain and simple.
    One guy in paticular had target shooting on his application but he wasnt a member of a range and was turned down. He applied again with all the proper signatures from farmers and was turned down again.

There is the problem. He applied for a rifle for the purpose of target shooting without being a member of an authorised range. Therefore as he wasn't a member of a range he had no reason for the rifle. Its not the Super's job to contact people and tell them why they were refused, but ordinarily if you ask they will tell you.

Under the law if he doesn't answer or gran the license within 3 mon ths you are classed as refused and the Super doesn't even have to let you know. Its "assumed".
    Other than that ive never been in trouble with the law and feel totally embarssed by the above.

Pleease. We've all done silly stuff we regret. I will say though that this..........
    BattleCorp wrote: »
    Hi.

Just because other lads in the club have been refused .22 licences, that doesn't mean that you would be refused. Don't mind what they say to you, they aren't making the decision on your firearm certificate. Each application is taken on its own merits so you were right to apply for the firearm.

Your chances of success possibly depend on how the Law view your previous history.

None of your previous convictions show a history of violence so that has to be taken as a positive.

Maybe they will look at the fact that two of your slip-ups were drink related and that might impact negatively but then again, they were a good few years ago, so maybe they won't negatively affect the decision.

Look, nobody can answer 100% what will happen, but hopefully it will work out for you.

................ is all good advice. You are entitled to apply for a firearm. Just make sure all your paperwork is in order and pop it off.
    a.j.m1981 wrote: »
    Its a hunting club, but they have an area for rifles they cant call it a rifle range for licence reasons or something.

They can't call it a range because unless they have met all the criteria for to gain range authorisation it is not a range, and therefore target shootig cannot take place on the lands. Some of the items necessary for range authorisation includes:
    • Members (minimum of 5)
    • Consitution
    • Committee
    • Trustees
    • Safety rules
    • Range rules (Etiquette on the range)
    • Rules of conduct (its in the legislation that all members be of good character)
    • Accounts (i think) as in bank accounts, etc.
    • Fees. (Must be a yearly membership)
    • Detailed list of members name, addresses, firearm licenses, etc)
    • Range Control officer.
    • Range officers. Not sure if there is a specificed amount per so many members.

Then there are the buidling basics;
    • Land (obviously)
    • Backstop.
    • Danger zone if outdoor.
    • Indoor ranges must meet certain criteria that outdoor ranges do not. (to alow for richochets, sound/noise, etc)
    • Building/plannig permission
    • Approval or more to the point no objections from the community (ie - residents, tenants, neighbours, etc)
    • Range fees (to get your authorisation) to be paid to DOJ.
    Have a look at;
    As was said earlier. Put in the appliction and do not let other peoples experiences affect your decisions.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭foxer3640

I think a lot of it is down to the local garda/sargeant. The super probably wont know you personaly but will go on the local mans opinion of you. If you havent had any problems with them for a number of years you should'nt have any problem getting it though. Best of luck with it anyway!

Advertisement