Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Engine from UK dismantlers wth bent conrod

• 11-09-2011 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭

My 2002 Mondeo TDCi had a "catastrophic engine failure" in mid August and my mechanic and I set about looking for a replacement engine. I was on eBay and spotted a suitable engine in the UK.

The engine come with "60 days warranty, is in good condition and has no smoke or rattles". The dealer said "I'd have loads of time to install it and run it for a few thousand miles" I contacted the dealer by phone and he was happy to do business. He organised a pallet and I had a courier collect the wrapped engine on the 21st of August. It arrived here in Cork on the 23rd of August.
    My mechanic set to work last week and said the car would be ready by last weekend. On Friday 30th of August he said there was a problem , the car was starting but was running very "lumpy" with lots of white/grey smoke and a serious misfire. He double checked the recoding, timing and said there must be something wrong with the engine. Last Tues I brought the car to the main Ford dealers in Blackrock and after checking timing, compression, injectors and recoding they came to the conclusion that cylinder four has a bent conrod. They said it was a big job to fix it and at this point most people would scrap the engine and start again, for them labour alone would be €2000 to €2500.

I contacted the UK and the guy I was dealing with said he was sorry about that and he would "pop a conrod in the post". I said I wasn't happy with that as the labour involved would be crazy, and that I would wait for a better resolution from him.

I told him what I had spent and that I wasn't happy.

As it stands I've spent.
    €355 - engine
    €175 - freight from UK to Cork
    €500 - labour removing & fitting new engine
    €150 - oil, oil filter, fuel filter, belts pulleys etc
    €135 - Ford diagnostics and checks

€1315 in total

He replied again last night and said to return the engine (at my own expense) for a full refund (of the engine cost)

Has anybody else had any experience like this and what recourse did they take?

I checked out the consumer advice website in the UK, would citizens advice help me?

http://www.advicegui...he_internet.pdf

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

The dealer seems to be working on the basis that you simply changed your mind and invoking the 'cooling off' period whereby you can return it (at your expense) for a refund. That is not the case in this instance since the goods were not as described.

Sale of Goods here requires that the consumer not be out of pocket, so that would mean the engine dealer would have to foot the bill if he was based here. The section entitled "Compensation" would suggest that it also the case in the UK.

Contact the European Consumer Centre in Dublin, they should be able to give you the relevant advice.

jharr100 wrote: »
    My 2002 Mondeo TDCi had a "catastrophic engine failure" in mid August and my mechanic and I set about looking for a replacement engine. I was on eBay and spotted a suitable engine in the UK.

,.............. He double checked the recoding, timing and said there must be something wrong with the engine.....................

Three things (the first would be more for other folk reading this as it's too late in your case, I mention it frequently on here)
    1) You'd be better off letting the mechanic/garage source the engine, it's there problem then if there's an issue
    2) You're mechanic doesn't seem overly familiar with diesels, if the main dealer can diagnose it for €135 it can't have been too challenging if they are correct
    3) I wouldn't take the main dealers diagnosis as being 100% either tbh.

Anyway,
    Did you drive it to the main dealers from your mechanics or did you trailor it? If you drove it I can see this as a possible way out for the supplier.

Unfortunately I can't see you getting any more than the cost of the engine refunded from the engine dealer. He seems a right numpty offering to send you a conrod, I would fear he is a cowboy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭jharr100

RoverJames wrote: »
    Three things (the first would be more for other folk reading this as it's too late in your case, I mention it frequently on here)
    1) You'd be better off letting the mechanic/garage source the engine, it's there problem then if there's an issue
    2) You're mechanic doesn't seem overly familiar with diesels, if the main dealer can diagnose it for €135 it can't have been too challenging if they are correct
    3) I wouldn't take the main dealers diagnosis as being 100% either tbh.

Anyway,
    Did you drive it to the main dealers from your mechanics or did you trailor it? If you drove it I can see this as a possible way out for the supplier.

Unfortunately I can't see you getting any more than the cost of the engine refunded from the engine dealer. He seems a right numpty offering to send you a conrod, I would fear he is a cowboy though.

I think Ford were being kind to me, they had it for a day and would normally charge 3 times that for the work they did.
    and yeah I drove it the very short distance to the dealership, but the mechanic who switched engines has effectively washed his hands of the car.
    The original problem happened on his premises after he had installed a parrot bluetooth, he rang me to tell me the big end had gone as he reversed the car out of his garage for me to pick up.
    You're right about getting the mechanic to source the engine though.
    Hindsight is an exact science...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭crosshair1

How did you pay the breaker for the engine?
    Did you use the injectors from the original engine and what was the cause of its failure?

crosshair1 wrote: »
    How did you pay the breaker for the engine?
    Did you use the injectors from the original engine and what was the cause of its failure?

I paid with paypal.
    And yeah the original injectors were used.

• Advertisement

I've had 2 cases brought to me in the past year with delphi injectors failing while running (mondeo tdci and 1.5dci renault) and the engine running away on its own, the cause was damage to the injector needle allowing diesel flow into the cylinder.
    If either of these injectors had not been tested before refitting the result would be a bent conrod in the replacement engine.
    May not have anything to do with your case but worth keeping in mind.

crosshair1 wrote: »
    I've had 2 cases brought to me in the past year with delphi injectors failing while running (mondeo tdci and 1.5dci renault) and the engine running away on its own, the cause was damage to the injector needle allowing diesel flow into the cylinder.
    If either of these injectors had not been tested before refitting the result would be a bent conrod in the replacement engine.
    May not have anything to do with your case but worth keeping in mind.

Thanks
    Ford tested all four injectors and they said they are working as they should.

Then your probably better off cutting your losses and getting a refund on the engine if you can.

Problem is it will cost me another €175 to ship it back , the labour of removing it from the car and all I get refunded is £300.

Advertisement