Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tree Felling

Options
  • 11-09-2011 12:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Good morning:)

I have a tree in my garden, very close to the road that needs to be cut down, perhaps not fully but certainly reduced in size as it could cause damage if it falls. How do I go about doing this? Do Coillte fell trees for free?:)

I would very much appreciate any advice you can give me:)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I think you need prior permission to fell a tree and you should ask Coillte about that. They are OK with it if there is a danger.

Read >> http://www.gardenplansireland.com/forum/about1220.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Yes you need permission to cut down a tree on your own property.

However the fine for doing so without permission of only €60.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭buzz11

I have a tree in my garden
    Do Coillte fell trees for free?

Why would the tax-payer pay for work on a tree that belongs to you?

Under the Forestry Act 1946 you are not required to have a "Tree Felling Notice" if the tree is located less than 100ft from a dwelling.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

The course costs more than getting a qualified person to do it.

I can PM you the number of someone I know in this business if you're interested in getting a quote.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Yes you need permission to cut down a tree on your own property.

However the fine for doing so without permission of only €60.

Really? Even out in the countryside on a farm?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Really? Even out in the countryside on a farm?

Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous. If it's your tree, on your land you still need permission to fell it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭greenfingers89

GAAngster wrote: »
    Good morning:)

I have a tree in my garden, very close to the road that needs to be cut down, perhaps not fully but certainly reduced in size as it could cause damage if it falls. How do I go about doing this? Do Coillte fell trees for free?:)

I would very much appreciate any advice you can give me:)

if its near a road i think the easiest way to go about it is to contact your county council and speak with the road engineer in your area, tell him the story and he should call out and have a look at it, talk up the danger factor and more than likely he'll issue an order to fell the tree, this will cover your arse if anyone moans about the tree coming down

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

As you're posting in the Galway City forum, presumably you're within the City boundaries, in which case you don't need permission.

There's some strange armchair lawyer interpretation of the legislation in that gardenplansireland link.

However, on a separate issue, you should be aware of potential liability issues should the tree damage something or injure someone when being felled.

Any chance your tree is near ESB power lines? If it is, the ESB will at the least trim it, but could probably just as easily fell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

churchview wrote: »
    As you're posting in the Galway City forum, presumably you're within the City boundaries, in which case you don't need permission.
    On what basis? Any trees within city boundaries are fair game? Even if the land is zoned Agricultural or High Amenity?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

On what basis? Any trees within city boundaries are fair game? Even if the land is zoned Agricultural or High Amenity?

The Forestry Act 1946 specifically excludes trees within a "County Borough". Galway is/was a County Borough. The name was changed in 2000 or 2001 and County Boroughs became cities.

However, anywhere in the country individual trees or groups of trees can be subject to "Tree Preservation Orders" but this most likely won't apply to the Op's tree. These orders are quite rare and are granted if there is a special amenity value to the tree(s). It's somewhat unlikely that there is such a special amenity value attaching to the tree in the OP's garden (or indeed in any private garden). Planning permission is required to fell a tree subject to a tree preservation order.

As I mentioned tree preservation orders are quite rare in Ireland. I wouldn't know where to get stats on this though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Unless the ESB want to cut them down on your land, in which case don't object or you'll end up doin' porridge in Mountjoy like poor Mrs Treacy! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

inisboffin wrote: »
    Unless the ESB want to cut them down on your land, in which case don't object or you'll end up doin' porridge in Mountjoy like poor Mrs Treacy! :mad:

Why do I hear Kent Brockman in my head reading that :D

Seven Worlds will Collide

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement