Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

US Sports Thread (NBA, NCAA, MBL, NHL, NFL, etc.)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Irish94

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Wrestlemania is on tonight, gone with these.

Ade's Super Duper Accum:
    John Cena (1/7), Triple H (1/4), Alberto Del Rio (1/4), Dolph Ziggler and Big E Langston (13/8), Ryback (2/7), Fandango (1/4) and Tons of Funk (1/3)

€25 returns €250ish

Singles:
    Dolph Ziggler and Big E Langston @ 13/8
    Brock Lesnar @ 3/1
    The Rock @ 7/1

There is always a shock win in Wrestlemania, what match do you think it will be Nuri?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

What bookies are taking bets on Mania this year?

kryogen wrote: »
    What bookies are taking bets on Mania this year?

Paddy Power, Sky Bet and Willian Hill are as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭pbowenroe

Wrestlemania is on tonight, gone with these.

Ade's Super Duper Accum:
    John Cena (1/7), Triple H (1/4), Alberto Del Rio (1/4), Dolph Ziggler and Big E Langston (13/8), Ryback (2/7), Fandango (1/4) and Tons of Funk (1/3)

€25 returns €250ish

Singles:
    Dolph Ziggler and Big E Langston @ 13/8
    Brock Lesnar @ 3/1
    The Rock @ 7/1

isn't betting on wrestling like betting on something to happen in a soap opera? just wondering how you go about finding value

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Only seeing the posts after mine for the first time.

Bookies cleaned up last night big time.

Really thought WWE would throw a curve ball in one of the three main events after near everyone were saying that the main event picture was predictable and it be straightforward wins for the favorites. Probably over thought it a tad myself, though who in their right mind could see Henry going over Ryback.... but anyway. Back to back PPV's I've won nowt is disappointing though.
    pbowenroe wrote: »
    isn't betting on wrestling like betting on something to happen in a soap opera? just wondering how you go about finding value

Yup.

Well I try to keep up to date somewhat with the current product (even if I don't particularly enjoy it as I once did or watch anything near what I did better put admittedly). Then it's about looking ahead from both a storyline and business perspective and making an educated guess as to who wins. Nothing more to it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭PunterAssist

I feel there is significant value is the below bet which only happens a handful of times in the season and this is the finals which is even more surprising.

NBA Finals - San Antonio Spurs at Miami Heat (Game 2) - Miami Heat / Miami Heat (HT/FT) - 1.8 (Paddy Power)

Miami Heat 103-84 San Antonio Spurs (Game 2) (Half Time: Miami Heat 50-45 San Antonio Spurs)

USA NBA - Miami Heat At San Antonio Spurs (Game 3) - LeBron James Total Points Under 26.5 - 1.91 (William Hill)

USA NBA - Miami Heat At San Antonio Spurs (Game 3) - LeBron James Total Points Under 26.5 - 1.91 (William Hill)

Just curious, but what is your reasoning behind the bet?

• Advertisement

Miami Heat At San Antonio Spurs (Game 3) - LeBron James Total Points 15

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭sboyle01

Stats point to an under game tomorrow night. It's 187 at the moment but hopefully this may rise a point or 2 before the game.

USA NBA - Miami Heat at San Antonio Spurs (Game 4) - LeBron James Total Points Under 26 - 2.0 (Boylesports)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

I think that line is exactly right. I doubt it would be a +EV bet.

USA NBA - Miami Heat at San Antonio Spurs (Game 4) - LeBron James Total Points Under 26 - 2.0 (Boylesports)

It's an interesting bet.

Miami need to win, in order to do so I think Le Bron will have to score 30+.

With the space the Spurs are giving him on the outside if he starts hitting those jumpers , he could rack up 20 by the half before San Antonio make adjustments.

It's an interesting bet.

Miami need to win, in order to do so I think Le Bron will have to score 30+.

With the space the Spurs are giving him on the outside if he starts hitting those jumpers , he could rack up 20 by the half before San Antonio make adjustments.

He is not trying too many jumpers when someone else is open. Spurs are protecting the paint very well against him and since the start of the series he has been driving towards the basket, pulling the spurs defense in tight to him and laying off to the free man when spurs double team him.

I don't see that changing as Spurs are happy to let him lay off to the 3 point shooter as Miami are missing a lot of their 3 point shots. If they improve their conversion ratio the unders is shot however those points won't be going to James, it will be mainly Bosh from 3 pointers, Wade from the paint and even Anderson is driving the paint waiting for the layoff from James.

Its a combination of Spurs defense working well to keep James out however James is missing that half a yard at this stage of his career playing ~40 minutes a game and Duncan is doing well on the defensive rebounds.

It is more the reputation of James that has set the line so high rather than what he is actually doing on the court much the same as Gareth Bale in the second half of the season.

I think the fair line on James is 21.5 and I will be having the same bet in Game 5. I doubt I will be placing the bet in the event the series reaches Game 6, in fact I don't think I will bet at all on Game 6 and will be hoping the series reaches Game 7 to open the opportunity of a Miami HT/FT bet > 1.8

The second half of Game 3 was an anomaly which will hopefully increase the odds on Miami in a potential Game 7 however the mug punters will be on Miami as they are the 'name' team so I will be on the HT/FT bet as soon as the market is available.

An interesting stat is that Miami crush their opponents immediately following a loss as was the case in Game 2 but James still scored less than 20 pts in that game.

I expected the lines to be extremely sharp at this stage of the season but i can't figure out where the compilers came up with the line on James points unless people are blindly backing James overs much in the same way bettors do with Messi/Ronaldo/RVP.

Well done on your log, impressive reading.

Actually just seen James is 28 years old. Seems to have been around longer than (2003 Cleveland) that but the season is clearly catching up to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,185 ✭✭✭tinodz

Rarely gamble on US Sports, pretty much never touch Ice Hockey, but I think the bookies have it wrong tonight in the NHL

Bruins Win @ 2.30

Not a tip. I could be VERY wrong here - but just giving it a go

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭MurDawg

This section isn't used half as much as it should be! With NFL back on and MLB in crunch time I think it's time to post some decent pick :P

Paddypower offering 5/2 treble for Colts,Bears and eagles all to win. All are favorites and should do the business.

Colts -1 at home seems a steal to me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Over 40.5 pts tonight in the N.F.L Cincinnati v Pittsburgh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Over 40.5 pts tonight in the N.F.L Cincinnati v Pittsburgh.

Interesting I was thinking of going Cinci -5.5 and over 40 but I just couldnt pull the trigger as I think the steelers will struggle to put up points.

Aj Green over 88.5 yards looks a steal.

Interesting I was thinking of going Cinci -5.5 and over 40 but I just couldnt pull the trigger as I think the steelers will struggle to put up points.

Aj Green over 88.5 yards looks a steal.

I think the opposite, doing under 90.5 yards myself. Good luck if you do it.

• Advertisement

Irish94 wrote: »
    I think the opposite, doing under 90.5 yards myself. Good luck if you do it.

His little dropsies killed me, two 40 yard drops one a certain TD meh! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

Going try get up at least a blog a week for nfl now here.

Was pretty good last year getting most correct when breaking it down.

One interesting thing I noted with the spread at just over a td.

"Its interesting that per the blogs its 2001 since the last time the Cowboys were underdogs by at least a touchdown at home."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

Anyone else piling in on Jacksonville +28 tonight. No way broncos can cover that spread. Seriously considering emptying my account for this one

muletide wrote: »
    Anyone else piling in on Jacksonville +28 tonight. No way broncos can cover that spread. Seriously considering emptying my account for this one

I am playing overs will be close jags worse team in this century for points diff at this stage of season, broncos are 3rd best ever

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Going the opposite, going with denver -26.5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,251 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Would Jacksonville over 13 points not be a better bet?

From what l've seen Denver defense conceade alot of points and you'd imagine if Jacksonville stay whit in the handicap they will have to score some points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

So far so good- only issue is can't see Bronco's throwing out their 2nd strings in the 3rd & 4th!!

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭easy_as_easy

Was on New Orleans +1 last night, heart break. All over Indianapolis ML tonight in the NFL and Washington ML in the NHL.

Could be tempted to have Detroit Red Wings +1 in play now.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭easy_as_easy

3-2 Detroit. 1.55 not a great price but winnings is winnings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

any tips on the bengals game lads? just to make it interesting like.

• Advertisement

im for the bengals myself tonight, and marvin jones to get plenty yards tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Ribena74

Trail Blazer should be free money tonight against Toronto
    4/5 +1.5 right now

Ribena74 wrote: »
    Trail Blazer should be free money tonight against Toronto
    4/5 +1.5 right now

Wins easily enough after overtime.
    Memphis -2 10/11 for me in the next game.

Wins easily enough after overtime.
    Memphis -2 10/11 for me in the next game.
    2/2 with that win now, handy
    Going for a small stake on a Lakers win.

3/3
    Going to empty my account on:
    Golden State -11.5 v Jazz 10/11

Got Golden State at -9 10/11

3/3
    Going to empty my account on:
    Golden State -11.5 v Jazz 10/11

Got Golden State at -9 10/11

Nice catch. Would have been a tough loss to take on the -11.5

Yeah that would have been a big blow!
    all the handicaps seem a bit big tonight not sure who to go with
    small stake on Dallas win @ nuggets

College Football Action detailed 3 early bets here.

For the tv game on espn I really like the road team.

Michigan State 4/9 betvictor/ -6.5 1.95 pinnacle - A big ten rivalry and State travel to Northwestern here with one of the best defences in college football. For me Northwestern look to be in some decline even with home advantage and the cold weather I think Michigan will be too good in this one.

Have a few bets tonight, one in each game in fact

I like the overs in the Magic/Hawks game
    Also Toronto, GSW and the Wizards to cover the spreads

Have a couple of cross doubles also for small stakes and a slightly bigger single on the overs and on the Wizards.

Bit worried about the line shift in the Warriors game, think they should handle NO pretty comfortably, despite being on the road, and was happy to take on the 3 pt spread, now its a 1.5pt spread, the money is down anyway

• Advertisement

Came out of the night pretty much even, the Wizards game ended in a push, the overs came in, the Toronto bet was down and the Warriors bet was also down in heartbreaking fashion (them winning by 1 when the handicap is 1.5)

Didn't have a bet on this in a while,
    Going to do an accum tonight with a 50 euro stake

Miami -12 @ 1/1 Charlotte are just awful.
    Golden State to win @ 4/7
    Denver @ 23/20
    Portland @ 8/13
    Barcelona and Benfica @ 4/6 and 1/2

Washington to end the series tonight @ 5/3

Washington Wizards - 7.5 v Bulls tonight 7/2 , Small stake .

Washington to end the series tonight @ 5/3

This comes in , while the handicap hasn't come in.

Tonight San Antonio Spurs win margin 1-10 11/8 Large Stake on this

This comes in , while the handicap hasn't come in.

Tonight San Antonio Spurs win margin 1-10 11/8 Large Stake on this

won by 6!, Indiana -2 tonight Large St
    ake

• Advertisement

Washington Wizards - 7.5 v Bulls tonight 7/2 , Small stake .

Shaving off such an amount of points for such odds rarely if ever works, even if they ended up winning by 6 to miss the cover by a couple for your bet.

If I'm not mistaken, and referencing my record from the day, Washington were +3.5 on the road and straight up were 2/1. It's not hindsight, but if you really fancy a dog winning on the road, just take the moneyline would be my advice. At a push I'd consider -2.5 on the alt line because of free throws at the end of the games if it's close, though in saying that I've been mushed in the past on this too. 2/1 for the win was plenty value that night though.

Shaving off such an amount of points for such odds rarely if ever works, even if they ended up winning by 6 to miss the cover by a couple for your bet.

If I'm not mistaken, and referencing my record from the day, Washington were +3.5 on the road and straight up were 2/1. It's not hindsight, but if you really fancy a dog winning on the road, just take the moneyline would be my advice. At a push I'd consider -2.5 on the alt line because of free throws at the end of the games if it's close, though in saying that I've been mushed in the past on this too. 2/1 for the win was plenty value that night though.

Washington were surely much bigger than 7/2 to win by 8 or more? Considering the line was +3.5. Is it possible the Op had the price inverted? it would have been about 2/7 for Washington +7.5points.

Washington were surely much bigger than 7/2 to win by 8 or more? Considering the line was +3.5. Is it possible the Op had the price inverted? it would have been about 2/7 for Washington +7.5points.

I was thinking about that myself as I read his post, tbh. The alternate spread he got had me puzzled considering what I had was the opening line +3.5 / +4.0 @ 10/11 with the ML @ 2/1 as I eluded to above. After Tweeting my bets earlier that day, I do remember checking the closing lines just before tip off like I usually do and I'm 90% certain Wizards ML were down as low as 6/4 generally, so it's plausible he got poor value as he bet late in the day. I honestly cannot remember the closing spread though, but factoring in they were 6/4 to win, I imagine the standard line was +1.5 / 2.0 depending on the book.

edit - just to say, I'm not saying Ribena is BS'ing btw.

I was thinking about that myself as I read his post, tbh. The alternate spread he got had me puzzled considering what I had was the opening line +3.5 / +4.0 @ 10/11 with the ML @ 2/1 as I eluded to above. After Tweeting my bets earlier that day, I do remember checking the closing lines just before tip off like I usually do and I'm 90% certain Wizards ML were down as low as 6/4 generally, so it's plausible he got poor value as he bet late in the day. I honestly cannot remember the closing spread though, but factoring in they were 6/4 to win, I imagine the standard line was +1.5 / 2.0 depending on the book.

edit - just to say, I'm not saying Ribena is BS'ing btw.

I would also like to point that out that I am not saying Ribena was BS'ing just the numbers dont make that much sense. I am a Wizards fan so I was watching the game and was on the Wizards moneyline at 19/10

I would also like to point that out that I am not saying Ribena was BS'ing just the numbers dont make that much sense. I am a Wizards fan so I was watching the game and was on the Wizards moneyline at 19/10

You'd have enjoyed reading the NBA threads this season if you've been following then :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement