Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Banville - Book of Evidence

Options
  • 11-09-2011 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭

Anyone read this? Just finished it, thought it was excellent.

Any others by him that are good? What are his crime novels (written under Benjamin Black) like?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

I really liked the Book of Evidence, funny, interesting and well-written. Have been disappointed with some of the other ones I read, and the last two (The Sea and The Infinities) really don't appeal to me, although The Sea has been sitting on my 'To Read' pile for a long, long time now.

I read the first Benjamin Black and it was entertaining enough.

I find the more interviews I read with John Banville the more I find it difficult to find the energy to bother with his books.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

I thought the Book of Evidence was a very worthy book - a 20th century Crime and Punishment, perhaps. Banville is very insightful. Though sometimes I think he is a bit of a tryhard. Also, he comes across as a bit boorish in interviews. In a way he is the kind of author I'd rather not encounter outside of his body of literary work.

Denerick wrote: »
    In a way he is the kind of author I'd rather not encounter outside of his body of literary work.

I have heard of two encounters where this has been the case. Huge fans who were very disappointed by him. I met him once in my working life, and while he wasn't rude, he wasn't very polite either. Not being a huge fan, I wasn't all that disappointed, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

I loved The Sea & Elegy for April I enjoyed also. Nightspawn I can't say I liked at all. Read The Infinities a couple of weeks ago and while the writing is absolutely beautiful & I loved the first half I thought it died somewhat in the second half.
    I have never met the man so can't give a first hand opinion on him but from interviews I've watched he always strikes me as a rather dour man but with a subtle sense of humor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Just a question about the plot in Book of Evidence for those who have read it and remember it well...

Keeping in mind the narrator is also the protaganist and may well be lying about the events (the last few words of the book hint to this)
    My interpretation is that Charlie French in fact hired Freddy to steal the painting, which he would in turn sell to one of his rich clients, Max, for a very tidy sum. Freddy would receive a cut, which he would use to pay off his debts. This would directly implicate Charlie, obviously not in the murder but in some very shady dealings. Freddy, however, decides to leave Charlie out of it when recounting his evidence (maybe because of a fondness for the old man who he had known from childhood, or maybe he thinks it's not worth it as he's going down for life anyway). So it wasn't that Freddy was magically drawn to this painting and had to have it, he was actually stealing it for Charlie. There's a lot in the end of the book that points to this in my opinion

I'm basically wondering is my interpretation either:-

a) completely right and very obvious
    b) possible, as the book is open to interpretation due to the unreliability of the narrator.
    c) completely ludricous

What do you think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭randomguy

If you like Book of Evidence, I'd recommend The Untouchable. Very similar style, (unreliable narrator, self-serving narrative, loosely based on true story).

I generally classify Banville books into 4 categories: (I haven't read Nightspawn or Birchwood)
    The physics novels - really good but a bit dry if you aren't into physics/maths/history
    The good novels - The Book of Evidence to the Untouchable
    The unreadable pretentious crap - Eclipse onwards, progressively crappier
    The Benjamin Black stuff - Well put together, maybe a bit too cliched in places.

randomguy wrote: »
    The good novels - The Book of Evidence to the Untouchable
    The unreadable pretentious crap - Eclipse onwards, progressively crappier

I think I was dipping heavily into the unreadable pretentious crap pile. Must try the previous description.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

Loved the Book of Evidence also but couldnt take to The Sea , too slow moving for me , have been meaning to pick up The Untouchable to read so thanks for the reminder :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

I know its been acclaimed but I couldn't hack The Sea - was like watching paint dry.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

It not for everyone but I find reading Banville aloud is great. The sound of his writing is wonderful.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

I really liked The Sea.

The Book of Evidence is one of my favourite books. It got the 4000 word essay treatment in college from my good self.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Hermy wrote: »
    It not for everyone but I find reading Banville aloud is great. The sound of his writing is wonderful.

He has a very pleasant style alright. He delights in words, reminds me of Nabokov sometimes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Indeed he often refers to Nabokov in interview.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 34 jensennhook

I think this novel is a pretty good read overall but nothing really remarkable. I still favor A. Christie's whodunnit works..

Advertisement