Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Venues For Video Game Tournaments?

Options
  • 11-09-2011 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭

I'm toying with the idea of setting up gaming tournament in Galway, but I'm not sure where to run such an event. I was thinking Squareyes, but it's very small, and mostly PCs as opposed to consoles. I was wondering if anyone would have any suggestions about a good (and hopefully cheap enough) place to hold a tournament. Somewhere where we could fit a lot of TVs and consoles.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

deathrider wrote: »
    I'm toying with the idea of setting up gaming tournament in Galway, but I'm not sure where to run such an event. I was thinking Squareyes, but it's very small, and mostly PCs as opposed to consoles. I was wondering if anyone would have any suggestions about a good (and hopefully cheap enough) place to hold a tournament. Somewhere where we could fit a lot of TVs and consoles.

Didn't Fagans have tournaments when they first opened..maybe you could ask them...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Cheers, man. Just after googling Fagans there (I don't know many of the places around these parts, so google has become my best friend lately, lol). From what I've online, that sounds like it could be the man for the job. I'll investigate it during the week.
    Any more suggestions would also be very welcome :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

What games are you thinking of running? You really have three options

Gaming Cafe - Best bet for starting, only problem might be lack of space / consoles ( as you said for Square Eyes
    Pub - Plenty of space and booze, might attract more people. Cons are it would probably only be suitable for 18+, and you need to bring your own monitors / consoles
    Social Space - Ideal locations imo. Cons are you need to bring your own monitors / consoles, but generally a lot of space and proper facilities for these kind of things.

The guys on the Fighting Games forum ran tournaments in a net cafe in Dublin for about a year, but it was very cramped and horrible to be in when tournament numbers grew. Now they hold it in a social space and it's pretty perfect. They bring their own equip and have plenty or power, and a projector on site for nice displaying.

http://pix.ie/jimeatsmenu/album/395794/goto/2066371 There's some photos from last year to give you an idea. Their setup is much bigger now.

My only two suggestions would be The Blue Note (Saw they do FIFA tournamnets, but never saw the setup) or that social space by the Coach Station. No idea it's name, but looking in the window it just a massive empty room.

Whatever you decide, good luck. I was one of the guys who originally started the Street Fighter tournaments in Dublin and my biggest piece of advice to you would be no matter what, keep putting them on. Even if 3 people show up the first time, keep them going. Constancy is what will draw people more and more and eventually you'll have a big crowd.
    Good luck :)

Jim wrote: »
    What games are you thinking of running? You really have three options

Gaming Cafe - Best bet for starting, only problem might be lack of space / consoles ( as you said for Square Eyes
    Pub - Plenty of space and booze, might attract more people. Cons are it would probably only be suitable for 18+, and you need to bring your own monitors / consoles
    Social Space - Ideal locations imo. Cons are you need to bring your own monitors / consoles, but generally a lot of space and proper facilities for these kind of things.

The guys on the Fighting Games forum ran tournaments in a net cafe in Dublin for about a year, but it was very cramped and horrible to be in when tournament numbers grew. Now they hold it in a social space and it's pretty perfect. They bring their own equip and have plenty or power, and a projector on site for nice displaying.

http://pix.ie/jimeatsmenu/album/395794/goto/2066371 There's some photos from last year to give you an idea. Their setup is much bigger now.

My only two suggestions would be The Blue Note (Saw they do FIFA tournamnets, but never saw the setup) or that social space by the Coach Station. No idea it's name, but looking in the window it just a massive empty room.

Whatever you decide, good luck. I was one of the guys who originally started the Street Fighter tournaments in Dublin and my biggest piece of advice to you would be no matter what, keep putting them on. Even if 3 people show up the first time, keep them going. Constancy is what will draw people more and more and eventually you'll have a big crowd.
    Good luck :)

Excellent info, Jim. Much apprectiated. It's actually Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat and the likes that I'm looking to start. I was chatting to the guys in the Fighting Game Forums last night, and I mentioned that Galway seems to be the only big city that doesn't hold these tournaments, which seems like a shame to me considering the amount of colleges around the area, I'd imagine some people would be interested in attending.

Yeah, I attended a few of them in Dublin last year (I think I might have actually fought against you, if you're the person I'm thinking of. Are you a Cammy player by any chance?), when they where being held in XGC, and every seems to have a great time at them.

I'll check out check out the two places you've mentioned. I've enevr heard of The Blur Note, but I'll do a little googling, and see what I can come up with.

Thanks again, man. This info is much apprciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

Im partial to the bit of counterstrike myself

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

There was a FIFA tournament in Leisureland a few years back, it's quite a big place though.

Im partial to the bit of counterstrike myself

I reckon I'm going to test-drive the idea with fighting games, dude. There seems to be a pretty large community for it.
    THFC wrote: »
    There was a FIFA tournament in Leisureland a few years back, it's quite a big place though.

I'll check this one out, man. Is Leisureland the one out in Salt Hill? If so, it could be a bit far from town, especially if people are travelling from outside of Galway. Still though, it's definitely worth a check.
    Cheers, man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

skelliser wrote: »

Excellent stuff. This looks kinda like the man for the job. I'll investigate this one too. It says there is a "social night" this week. I reckon I'll drop in then to scan the place. Gonna have my work cut out for me setting this stuff up, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

If you're thinking of doing anything with Tekken then count me in, I think I can just about hold my own in that :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Surfacezebra

Would be a huge fifa following

Malice wrote: »
    If you're thinking of doing anything with Tekken then count me in, I think I can just about hold my own in that :).

Good chance that there will be some Tekken on the bill, buddy. As far as I know it's still quite popular (haven't played it myself since Tekken 3 though), especially with the Street Fighter X Tekken game on it's way out :)
    Would be a huge fifa following

I reckon I'm just gonna go with fighters for the moment, man.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

deathrider wrote: »
    I'll check this one out, man. Is Leisureland the one out in Salt Hill? If so, it could be a bit far from town, especially if people are travelling from outside of Galway. Still though, it's definitely worth a check.
    Cheers, man.

Yup, right next to the Galway Bay Hotel and the amusements. They hold about 10 teenage discos throughout the year along with the science fair thing among others. The room is a bit smaller than a football pitch with a stage on one side. It's also on the bus route if that makes a difference.

While you're out in Salthill you might as well check out the tennis club and the Arus, both have sports halls that they let out on a regular basis and both are right beside bus stops.

Yep, I'm a Cammy player, so might have been me :)

Your best bet is to try and organise it via the Fighting Game forum and through Streetfighter.ie. Then maybe get in contact with the gaming soc in the colleges (if they have one), but some posters around etc if you want to go that far.

Another guy tried to get a tourny scene going in Galway a good while ago, but I don't think he followed through.

That 091 Labs place looks ideal, provided there's enough room and power.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭-Vega-

I'd still go with squareyes to be honest, it might be on PC, but there is something to be said about 30 people playing GTA4 multiplayer and pwnnning ! :p

I'm in talks with some folks about a venue at the moment, so I might be a step closer to setting things up. I'll keep y'all posted though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭distraction

Jim wrote: »
    Another guy tried to get a tourny scene going in Galway a good while ago, but I don't think he followed through.

Myself and a friend where running a SSIV tournament out of Monroes side room, got a great turn out at the time.

Had trouble getting the venue again after they opened the top floor, shame was a good laugh.

Myself and a friend where running a SSIV tournament out of Monroes side room, got a great turn out at the time.

Had trouble getting the venue again after they opened the top floor, shame was a good laugh.

Would have like to be at that. Turns out this one has taken flight quite well. It'll be happening in 091 Labs (above Kennedy's pud), Eyre Square on Saturday October 15th.
    This thread should keep you posted if you're interested, dude:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056401880

Hope to see ya there :D

Advertisement