Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Five arrests in 'slavery' raid at UK [travellers] site

• 11-09-2011 2:09pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭

Cant believe this, in the 21st century, its like a scene from a sick movie.
    Some of the men could of been held as slaves for 15 Years:eek:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-14871318
    Four men and a woman were arrested on suspicion of committing slavery offences in the raid at Greenacre travellers' site, Leighton Buzzard, Bedfordshire, on Sunday.
    The men, who are English, Polish and Romanian, were found in "filthy and cramped" conditions, police said.
    Detectives believe some may have been there for up to 15 years.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

And in the back garden of merry ol England to ... I wonder what other horror mysterious are out there waiting to be liberated .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

You had me thinking there for a second that the BBC News report called them knackers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

iTS HARD TO BELIEVE IT COULD HAPPEN IN THIS DAY AND AGE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i just scanned through the link, i wonder did everyone on the site know of this slavery, and why did peoples families not miss them, there are a few nationalities on the slave list, unbeleivable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

before anyone gets pc on the op's wording they had slaves
    slaves up to 24 slaves for up to 15 years

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

It seems a bit strange (as well as downright criminal) but then sometimes I think we don't know the half of what is going on at our own areas, as well as others (as in this case).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Latchy wrote: »
    And in the back garden of merry ol England to ... I wonder what other horror mysterious are out there waiting to be liberated .

The Garden of England is Kent not Hertfordshire. But that doesn't take away from this awful story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

It is unbelievable to think it's going on for 15yrs. There has to be more to the story.
    I'm sure the media will make an Irish connection somewhere along the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

orourkeda wrote: »
    iTS HARD TO BELIEVE IT COULD HAPPEN IN THIS DAY AND AGE

Not sure if caps lock by mistake or just very shocked...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

It's scandalous _ _ _!

• Advertisement

Samich wrote: »
    It's scandalous _ _ _!

Pat ?

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

The Garden of England is Kent not Hertfordshire. But that doesn't take away from this awful story.
    Geograpical accuracy aside it can be wherever I wish it to be and yes , it is an awful story .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

just when i thought the travellers couldnt commit worse crimes, they never stop surprising me

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-13909240

I knew that story sounded familiar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Let's not jump the gun and get all racist here. These people are a different ethnic group than us settled folk and simply have different traditions within their own culture. It's selfish of us to expect them to live by our rules.

Let's not jump the gun and get all racist here. These people are a different ethnic group than us settled folk and simply have different traditions within their own culture. It's selfish of us to expect them to live by our rules.

There is traditions - which is fair enough... but then there is slavery, which is a whole other thing altogether!
    ...And we should expect them to live by state rules if not European ones!

Biggins wrote: »
    There is traditions - which is fair enough... but then there is slavery, which is a whole other thing altogether!

*I know - I was just doing my impression of yer man from Pavee Point.* :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

If they've been living in the one spot for that amount of time, they are settled, and not really living up to their given name now, are they!?

It still cannot excuse what they have done, those who were against the eviction are hopefully eating their own words right now.

*I know - I was just doing my impression of yer man from Pavee Point.* :D:D:D

Pavee Point ? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I wonder if it's a cultural thing? Maybe they've wanted Pulp Fiction too many times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭whubee

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭nowherefar

Maybe they were keeping them to provide big game hunting to Tories. Where's van damme when you need him??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭dermiek

Being held a slave by a <snip> family might not be too bad. No house or caravan cleaning anyway.
    Unless you're kept as a sex slave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

er, no. They live here so they can keep within our rules. They can feck off home if they love their rules so much.

steve9859 wrote: »
    er, no. They live here so they can keep within our rules. They can feck off home if they love their rules so much.

Where is home ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

from the link in the OP
    when we looked back since 2008 we were aware of 28 people who had made similar accusations
    and its only being investigated now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

theyre not a different race

that 2nd word you use is debatable , people wouldnt do some of the things these stories tell us , sometimes their actions paint them more as rabid animals more than anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Ditch

er, no. They live here so they can keep within our rules.

:confused: Last I heard; Leighton Buzzard, Befordshire was in england. I might be wrong though .....

Where is it said that these travellers are of Irish origin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

If they've been living in the one spot for that amount of time, they are settled, and not really living up to their given name now, are they!?

It still cannot excuse what they have done, those who were against the eviction are hopefully eating their own words right now.
    This is a different site to the one that's been in the news lately.

• Advertisement

The traveller advocacy group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

El Weirdo wrote: »
    This is a different site to the one that's been in the news lately.
    I stand corrected then.

I'll still stick with my point that they are not travellers, if they are not actually travelling around.

hondasam wrote: »
    Where is home ?

Er, Romania, Poland.

And as for the English or Irish travellers, they can't elect to live outside of society and society's laws as they claim, as do their apologists, to have a 'different culture'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Pedro K

It would seem the majority of travellers are criminals. That is something that needs to be properly addressed by travellers and pavee point, and not Just swept under the rug as it currently is by apologists.

Er, Romania, Poland.
    Dear god! Tell me your joking or not that daft!

Please learn the difference between Roma and European traveling groups as such.
    To say they all come from Romania, Poland, is just showing ones lack of knowledge as to actual accurate facts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Where is home ?

On the road. After all they are travellers :D

• Advertisement

Dear god! Tell me your joking or not that daft!

Please learn the difference between Roma and European traveling groups as such.
    To say they all come from Romania, Poland, is just showing ones lack of knowledge as to actual accurate facts.

OK my mistake, I read the article as meaning that those arrested were of Polish and Romanian descent, not the slaves, and I was commenting on this story. Of course I know that 'travellers' (and I puposefully use apostrophes) are not all Romanian.

But the fact remains that people on this thread have sought to excuse 'traveller' behaviour due to a supposed cultural difference and that (and I quote) "It's selfish of us to expect them to live by our rules".

I'm sick of traveller apologists, and this "ethnic group" and "culturally different" nonsense. Those in the news now are even completely settled. They even come out with nonsense like "we're travellers and we want to stay here"!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

The people arrested are Irish, it happened in France as well 6 years ago
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2005/dec/16/france.jonhenley?INTCMP=SRCH

Shocking stuff, but taking people on the fringes of society who are unlikely to be reported missing is probably a major part of why they got away with it for so long. Hopefully those rescued make a full recovery and can rejoin society

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

But the fact remains that people on this thread have sought to excuse 'traveller' behaviour due to a supposed cultural difference and that (and I quote) "It's selfish of us to expect them to live by our rules".

I'm sick of traveller apologists, and this "ethnic group" and "culturally different" nonsense. Those in the news now are even completely settled. They even come out with nonsense like "we're travellers and we want to stay here"!!
    Is your sarcasm detector broken?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

indiewindy wrote: »
    The people arrested are Irish, it happened in France as well 6 years ago
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2005/dec/16/france.jonhenley?INTCMP=SRCH

Shocking stuff, but taking people on the fringes of society who are unlikely to be reported missing is probably a major part of why they got away with it for so long. Hopefully those rescued make a full recovery and can rejoin society

If this is the third known case I wager it's not isolated incidents and that police should raid these camps more often.

Another case
    Four members of a family of travellers accused of forcing homeless people to work like 'slaves' are today behind bars.
    William Connors, 50, his wife Breda, 46, their son John, 28, and son in law Miles, 22, are alleged to have threatened and coerced down-and-outs and street drinkers into modern day slavery.
    Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1370669/4-travellers-held-police-slavery-charges-Gloucestershire.html#ixzz1Xfhid700

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Is your sarcasm detector broken?

Yes. Smashed. Blind rage tends to have that effect!

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    If this is the third known case I wager it's not isolated incidents and that police should raid these camps more often.

Another case

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1370669/4-travellers-held-police-slavery-charges-Gloucestershire.html#ixzz1Xfhid700

Miles. What a great name for a traveler.

Miles. What a great name for a traveler.

If he's a bare knuckle boxer - does he get clocked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

I'll still stick with my point that they are not travellers, if they are not actually travelling around.
    they define themselves as travellers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

...And we should expect them to live by state rules if not European ones!

theyre not a different race

that 2nd word you use is debatable , people wouldnt do some of the things these stories tell us , sometimes their actions paint them more as rabid animals more than anything

It truly amazes me here sometimes when even seasoned posters don't 'get' a sarcastic post! :eek:

biko wrote: »

Another case

If he's a bare knuckle boxer - does he get clocked?

Boom. We're here all week folks - tip your waitress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭4leto

Slavery is alive and well in this 21st century and it is not only the traveller community engaged in it. Probably more now then there has ever been, numbers wise.

Its called indentured service now, just a modern term the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭LondonIrish90

Arresting them over a few slaves and evicting them after illegaly building traveller village when they had no right to?

Stop with the ethnic cleansing :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    It truly amazes me here sometimes when even seasoned posters don't 'get' a sarcastic post! :eek:

To be fair sarcasm doesnt always travel well in text form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

I'm sure the media will make an Irish connection somewhere along the line.
    I hope to fcuk there is no Irish connection. That is a vile nasty thing to do or be involved in (slavery that is).
    http://paveepoint.ie/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 94 ✭✭Phenomenally Phrank

<SNIP>

Mod note: User banned

• Advertisement
Advertisement