Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Insurance with a full licence

Options
  • 11-09-2011 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

I have a policy with Aviva which only started about a month ago and i just passed my test so i now have a full licence. My premium was very expensive because i was the only driver on the car and and i had a learners permit.

I now have my full licence so is there a way to lower my premium right away or do i have to wait until the policy is up for renewal?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

You will get a rebate if contact Aviva, the amount will depend on how long the policy has to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Carraig Fhearghais

Just curious...
    Here (in Northern Ireland & as far as I know in the UK in general) after you pass your test, the insurance cost rises sharply as you are now able to drive unaccompanied, is it different in the Republic? (found this out when I was enquiring about insurance for my daughter learning to drive)
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Just curious...
    Here (in Northern Ireland & as far as I know in the UK in general) after you pass your test, the insurance cost rises sharply as you are now able to drive unaccompanied, is it different in the Republic? (found this out when I was enquiring about insurance for my daughter learning to drive)

Usually you got a discount after passing your test.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 fct

give them a call and you'll know.

I had some changes in my policy 2 years ago. Went to my insurance company and they changed it. Payed a lot less after the change :)

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭matt70iu

Just curious...

Yep, goes down for the most part once you pass your test. Mine went down by over 300e. I think the reason for this is bacause the laws regarding learner permit holders are not as strictly enforced here.

The insurance companies know this and charge less as a result.

This is starting to change now though. Will be interesting to see what happens to premiums in a few years time:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Carraig Fhearghais

Just looked up the figures

(Mitsubishi colt 1.1, 5dr)
    Wife only £290
    Wife + 19yr old Learner (female) £2600
    Wife + 19yr old just passed test £3700
    :eek::eek::eek:
    I didn't get a quote to get her onto my 2.0L Mondeo!!
    She can learn later when she gets older (& a job!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭jhud

Eddie-B wrote: »
    I have a policy with Aviva which only started about a month ago and i just passed my test so i now have a full licence. My premium was very expensive because i was the only driver on the car and and i had a learners permit.

I now have my full licence so is there a way to lower my premium right away or do i have to wait until the policy is up for renewal?

thanks

My gf got her test passed about 2 weeks after signing a new policy so she rang and they refunded her money and sent it by cheque

Advertisement