Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alarm or alarm Website Recomendation

Options
  • 11-09-2011 5:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭

Hi all..
    Time that are in it we're looking to get alarm but would likt to see how much I can do a DIY install for...

Not being well up on the alarm front I'll stick down what I think I need and maybe some more knowledgeable folks might comment or give advice..

House is wired all round so I suppose best use that, only 2 years done.

Control Unit.
    Bell Box
    Control pad near door do activate/deactivate
    4 Surface mounted external door switches (is it an option to get these in brown/black)
    1 Surface switch suitable for a roller door.
    5 PIR's

Help and ideas appreciated..

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Hi Bbam, take a look over the Suppliers Sticky any places there would have all you require.
    Window/Door sensors & contacts are available in white or brown .
    I would recommend inertia sensors & contacts on all ground floor & accessible windows. Contacts on all other windows.
    Why do you want 5 PiRs?
    I would not recommend using PiRs instead of covering windows & doors. An intruder would need to be in before these activate.
    Have you thought about what panel you want & what features you would like.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

OK I'm on the steep learning curve already...

Only the downstairs doors are wired, no widows wired.. That's where the PIR's come in.. The 5 main downstairs rooms are wired for sensors... Nothing upstairs at all..

I havn't thought about the panel at all...
    I'd like the option to have the externals armed and the pir's off but I'd expect that is a standard enough feature..
    What other features should I be thinking of??

For example.. do any offer the option to remote set.. to be honest I often go off and leave the doors unlocked so I'd expect to forget to set the alarm:rolleyes:..

Are sensors/keypads and controllers generally compatible..
    Could I get a FOB for the keys to deactivate the alarm when I arrive home?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Take a look at Siemens SPC 4000 range.
    These panels have the option of having IP for Remote access.
    There is also the option of text commands via GSM dialler.
    You could use wireless for adding windows & doors for your perimeter protection as well. You can have 2 part sets & if you require more options you can set up multiple areas.
    You can use wireless key fobs. There is even an option to have Auto arm at certain times (if you go off & forget to set it for example ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

bbam wrote: »
    OK I'm on the steep learning curve already...

Only the downstairs doors are wired, no widows wired.. That's where the PIR's come in.. The 5 main downstairs rooms are wired for sensors... Nothing upstairs at all..

I havn't thought about the panel at all...
    I'd like the option to have the externals armed and the pir's off but I'd expect that is a standard enough feature..
    What other features should I be thinking of??

For example.. do any offer the option to remote set.. to be honest I often go off and leave the doors unlocked so I'd expect to forget to set the alarm:rolleyes:..

Are sensors/keypads and controllers generally compatible..
    Could I get a FOB for the keys to deactivate the alarm when I arrive home?

I would also have a look at the HKC Securewave. You can use the 10 wired zones in the panel for the wires plus add wire free sensors to the windows that have no cables. For covering openings on the windows you can use the magnet that comes with the Inertia/Contact plus wire wired contacts out of the sensor using the terminals protecting both alarm and tamper circuits. Adding a GSM to this system will also give you remote access for arming/disarming of the alarm plus any activations will send a text be sent to pre-programmed phone numbers from the alarm, you will also get a second text if a burglar does trip one of your PIRs meaning someone may be in your premises. Keyfobs can also be added to this system along with a whole suite of two way wire free devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

+1 for the Siemens kit but get a few quotes.

• Advertisement

There are a lot of different systems on the market. Make sure you dont get stung with the cheaper brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

And comepare like with like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

+1 For Hkc securewave. So easy to use. Nice voice prompts. Wirefree also. Neat plus Hkc make their own sensors and bells. Plus the wireless keyfob has a coded secure unset feature meaning that you push a sequence of buttons on the fob to disarm the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭seosamh

Hi,
    I am interested in doing a self install as well.

There is an alarm system in the house which is old and no longer in use. However there are wires running to all the windows and doors (except 3 windows, 3 skylights plus 1 door of the new extension). So I am hoping that these can be reused, the wires at least, and can go wireless for the remainder.

Is there an easy way with a multimeter to test which wire corresponds with a sensor contact as I don't think they are labelled?

Then I think I could get it set up, zoned and all I would need to do is get a GSM unit to provide for text alerts, remote setting and paid monitoring?

Thanks.

You can usea multi meter to identify loops by measuring the changes in resistInce on the loop when a contract is opened.

• Advertisement

seosamh wrote: »
    Hi,

There is an alarm system in the house which is old and no longer in use. However there are wires running to all the windows and doors (except 3 windows, 3 skylights plus 1 door of the new extension). So I am hoping that these can be reused, the wires at least, and can go wireless for the remainder.

Is there an easy way with a multimeter to test which wire corresponds with a sensor contact as I don't think they are labelled?

Then I think I could get it set up, zoned and all I would need to do is get a GSM unit to provide for text alerts, remote setting and paid monitoring?

Thanks.

Also check the continuity on the cables when identified to see if they are working as should be and you have no crossing cores. Take out the resistor from each zone when testing the cables.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

seosamh wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks.
    do you mean paid monitoring as in the likes of phonewatch??

Most reputable companies will not accept central station monitoring over GSM. Its not a secure form of monitoring.

Unless he is a registered installer it wont be going to a monitoring station.

Some will accept connections with keyholder only notification.

May as well have the alarm ringing yourself then.

No commission in that though:)

I was saying from an owners view, not worth the money to pay for the central station just to ring you, your neighbour or family friends when any alarm can be set up to ring there phone instead phones.

In over 90% of cases alarm calls are actioned with keyholder response only.

At lease with Garda response they have the option.

• Advertisement

I would also count the fact that calls are logged and recorded a big bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 gaillimh_abu

bbam wrote: »
    Hi all..
    Time that are in it we're looking to get alarm but would likt to see how much I can do a DIY install for...

Not being well up on the alarm front I'll stick down what I think I need and maybe some more knowledgeable folks might comment or give advice..

House is wired all round so I suppose best use that, only 2 years done.

Control Unit.
    Bell Box
    Control pad near door do activate/deactivate
    4 Surface mounted external door switches (is it an option to get these in brown/black)
    1 Surface switch suitable for a roller door.
    5 PIR's

Help and ideas appreciated..

Hi ,

I recently did the same. Had house cabled already and some locations where I knew I would need wireless.

I dont live in Fort Knox so was looking for something Basic and got via the UK , cheaper DIY options. ( tld-direct.co.uk )

Im using a Honeywell Accenta G4 ( http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TSACMG4.html )
    ES RX8 Wireless for Hardwired ( http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Security_Menu_Index/Alarm_Index/ES_RX8/index.html ) because I have wirless shock sensors on windows and most everything else cabled.
    I also got a GSM Dialler (http://www.sim-entry.com/p163033_507040.aspx ) to complete the loop.

To buy a system that included Wireless and GSM is about 500 quid and upward so I took a more cost effective route.

PIRS in all the rooms ( was cabled ) and also have a Wi
    I have Break Glass Detector in Conservatory and a 360 roof mounted PIR in Upstairs hall ( cabled from utility to attic already )

I have no external siren because I value relationship with my neighbours. :D An sms/call from the system to me ( and then wife etc etc ) is enough ...

Hope this helps..

(p.s. Im not sure the Pros here will agree with choices but it works for me!)

A hybrid panel would of being nearly the same amount as the panel and 8 zone receiver. The HKC Securewave can have have 10 hardwire zones plus add 70 wire free devices straight out of the box :D

altor wrote: »

A hybrid panel would of being nearly the same amount as the panel and 8 zone receiver. The HKC Securewave can have have 10 hardwire zones plus add 70 wire free devices straight out of the box :D

Cool ! I would have bought local if I could have sourced 'easily' ( online or retail shop ) , I actuall got the rx8 on eBay for £20 so was lucky.

Do you know if hkc securewave can be bought online and price of wireless devices ? I'm looking at fitting similar for a friend .

The ease of purchase of this of kit online lead me to the UK but I could have done with more zones and your suggestion would be perfect .

Cool ! I would have bought local if I could have sourced 'easily' ( online or retail shop ) , I actuall got the rx8 on eBay for £20 so was lucky.

Do you know if hkc securewave can be bought online and price of wireless devices ? I'm looking at fitting similar for a friend .

The ease of purchase of this of kit online lead me to the UK but I could have done with more zones and your suggestion would be perfect .

Actually found a HKC Securewave on a trade site for €166 which is still a bit more than what I paid but obviously with more Zone options , got the sensors for £20 on ebay also ( €55 plus on the site I found selling HKC wireless devices..)..

Hybrid defo way to go though..

The prime shocks dont have a magnet to show openings either which is a draw back. It is just my opinion.

The prime shocks dont have a magnet to show openings either which is a draw back. It is just my opinion.
    Hi, not sure what you mean by magnet not showing openings?

An inertia/contact is a combined unit. It shows shocks plus will show if a window is open.

An inertia/contact is a combined unit. It shows shocks plus will show if a window is open.
    Gotcha. Would have been handy .

Sorry OP for hijacking thread :)

• Advertisement

Thats why you got them for that price :D

Advertisement