Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pruning magnolias

Options
  • 11-09-2011 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

just a quick question, have a spring flowering magnolia in my back garden that has gotten way to big for my liking.. i want to prune it back quite heavily. i was wondering a) will it tolerate a heavy pruning and b) when is the best time to do this.
    thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

We had the same problem with a magnolia last year & had it pruned after flowering but it went mad this year and sent out multiple whippy branches for every branch pruned last year and looks very top heavy now. Sorry I touched it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭William Powell

Best not pruned apart from taking out dead wood and crossing branches.

If you have to keep a large one smaller than it really wants to be then reduce the lenght of say 3 of the longer branches back by half and then do a couple of branches the same way each year. Often after pruning you'll get a mass of new shoots that you dont want and they are best removed as they form by just rubbing the buds off the branch with your finger if you let them get going they can be a major pruning job in themsleves.

Timing is a bit tricky as the buggers bleed if you cut them in leaf or just before they start into growth but can suffer from die back and frost damage if prunned in bad weather, I'd go for a January prunning of just a few branches to see how it reacts.

Advertisement