Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

piano accompaniment for hymns

Options
  • 11-09-2011 5:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi, hoping someone may be able to help. Am trying to find a book of piano music for hymns. The book I am actually looking for is called "The Derry Hymnal". I believe this is now out of print. So, have been trying to find something similar online i.e. piano accompaniment for hymns including well known irish ones e.g. Ag Criost an Siol. I am not having alot of luck as most sites I have checked seem to stock music for old classical english hymns. Know this is abit random but any help appreciated!. Thnx

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Norrdeth

Doshea should be able to help you, hopefully he'll be floating around here soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Norrdeth wrote: »
    Doshea should be able to help you, hopefully he'll be floating around here soon enough.

He's busy with his new opera company atm, but I'll send him a message if he doesn't respond in the next day or two.

OP: I googled "Derry Hymnal" and got four hits - two of which were this thread! I wonder what's up with that. Do you know if it was ever released under another title, or if the Derry Hymnal is a nickname, or something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Doshea3

harvfi wrote: »
    Hi, hoping someone may be able to help. Am trying to find a book of piano music for hymns. The book I am actually looking for is called "The Derry Hymnal". I believe this is now out of print. So, have been trying to find something similar online i.e. piano accompaniment for hymns including well known irish ones e.g. Ag Criost an Siol. I am not having alot of luck as most sites I have checked seem to stock music for old classical english hymns. Know this is abit random but any help appreciated!. Thnx

Hi. I have heard of the 'Derry Hymnal' (and may even have seen a copy) but I think it is out of print. The full score version of the Veritas hymnal might be useful for you, which I think you can purchase in the Veritas shop as it's recently been reprinted. Some of the arrangements are a bit shoyte but it's the only book that would have an even moderately wide selection of Irish hymns in it, I reckon.

Lads, I love the way I've become some sort of church music oracle. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 harvfi

Thanks for that. Appreciate it

Advertisement