Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Akita breed...

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

adser53 wrote: »
    You're Joking Richie?! You can't adopt or Foster if you have a RB??? That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard in a long time!

True.

Heres a post I made about it in the adoption forum a couple of years back.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61018992&postcount=1

No problem with the info, if anything i can talk too much about Akitas so ask away if you've any other questions :)
    Oh and I agree with you, the Shiba Inu is exactly like a mini Akita Inu

Adam

Thanks for that mate.If the adoption went ahead theres nothing they can do.Its because of it still being in the hands of the HSE and still ongoing that they look at the RB list and get all worked up over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

Jesus that's shocking! Its ridiculous that you've been fostering a child for 5 years and then one day having a dog that barked got the SW's knickers in a twist! They're clueless!

And sorry OP for going off topic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

:(

I have bein in talks with a breeder of the akita inu and he was willing to negotiate on price once the pup went to a good home , i got his name off champdogs.co.uk when i searched for akitas , i then received a call from a previous e mail i sent , from a member of the akita association of ireland and when i mentioned that breeders name the person told me to stay clear of him :confused: but on facebook he is friends with other top bredders plus he talked the talk and shows too , i really do not know what to do right now , when i asked him for pictures of pups he said they are better seen in the flesh , that had me a bit worried :confused::(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Personally, I don't believe that any decent breeder would 'negotiate' on price, this shows a propensity to see the dogs as a commodity, not individual lives. Did you ask for results of health tests from the parents? To be perfectly honest if you cannot stretch the few hundred euro to cover a decent breeders costs how do expect to be able to keep a dog of this size? :confused: You will be paying out over €2,000 every single year of it's life in just dog food and veterinary costs alone!

Facebook 'friends' are not always 'friends', I have facebook 'friends' who are involved in activities I deplore. Facebook is used for networking (such as in the showing world) and even for people to keep up to date with individual/organisations they have strong opinions against (eg. a political party they disagree with). I would have though this would be common enough knowledge.

Personally, I don't believe that any decent breeder would 'negotiate' on price, this shows a propensity to see the dogs as a commodity, not individual lives. Did you ask for results of health tests from the parents? To be perfectly honest if you cannot stretch the few hundred euro to cover a decent breeders costs how do expect to be able to keep a dog of this size? :confused: You will be paying out over €2,000 every single year of it's life in just dog food and veterinary costs alone!

Facebook 'friends' are not always 'friends', I have facebook 'friends' who are involved in activities I deplore. Facebook is used for networking (such as in the showing world) and even for people to keep up to date with individual/organisations they have strong opinions against (eg. a political party they disagree with). I would have though this would be common enough knowledge.

I do realise a dog of this size will not be cheap I merely answered the breeders question of how much my budget was I'm sure if he is not the right breeder I can stump up the little extra for the right breeder, as I want the right pup and its definately worth paying for a good Qaulity pup.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

jo06555 wrote: »
    I do realise a dog of this size will not be cheap I merely answered the breeders question of how much my budget was I'm sure if he is not the right breeder I can stump up the little extra for the right breeder, as I want the right pup and its definately worth paying for a good Qaulity pup.

OP, do you mind pming me the name of the two breeders who you were in contact with? I know a few and to be honest if someone from the Akita association told you to steer clear of them, I'd believe them really. Its fine if you dont want to, I just want to see if I know them and if i could give any insight on the breeder.

Hi
    I'm bumping this thread to ask a simple question on the Akita inu aka Japanese, I am buying a pup soon and I really do want it to have white on muzzle but from pictures the muzzle is black as of now 3 weeks old, can someone inform me on if or how I can tell or if the dog will have all white muzzle when older, I'm nearly sure it will but id like maybe if someone knew from experience I could feel better thank you in advance.

Is the whole muzzle black or is there any white at all on the cheeks or top of the muzzle? If completely black then I highly doubt its an akita inu you're being sold, a black mask is a serious fault in an akita inu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

here is what an Akita Inu is meant to look like, the all white can also pass as an Akita Inu.

pet008.jpg

Shanao wrote: »
    Is the whole muzzle black or is there any white at all on the cheeks or top of the muzzle? If completely black then I highly doubt its an akita inu you're being sold, a black mask is a serious fault in an akita inu.

Their are 5 puppies red and white im told, some allready have white running up between eyes and spot on back of neck but around muzzle is dark 1 or 2 just look black muzzles their legs do have black with hint of white coming threw so I'm wondering is it just as they are so young that The white has not shown yet IV seeing pictures of both parents and they are proper Akita inu's .

• Advertisement

If they are the urajiro (red and white) colouring then yes the mask will lighten and get smaller with time. As far I know, it can take the full two years of growth for the mask to disappear completely, but most lose it before the first year marker. What breeder did you end up going with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Where did you source your breeder?

andreac wrote: »
    Where did you source your breeder?

With the akita association of ireland , so im hoping i can trust them . :)

Ah well you should be ok then. I was hoping you werent going to say a certain website...;)

Just a quick update I get my Akita inu in 3 weeks :) and I want to stock up on supplies has anyone got names of good puppy food brands I can use ?

Just a quick update I get my Akita inu in 3 weeks :) and I want to stock up on supplies has anyone got names of good puppy food brands I can use ?

I would recommend keeping the pup on whatever food the breeder is feeding it for at least the first month, being uprooted from your family and everything you know is a stressful business, not the best time for a change of diet too. ;)

I would recommend keeping the pup on whatever food the breeder is feeding it for at least the first month, being uprooted from your family and everything you know is a stressful business, not the best time for a change of diet too. ;)

OK thanks

+1 on what AJ said. Definitely leave her on the same food for a while. If you're anywhere near a Maxi Zoo, i would definitely reccommend Real nature, its what my fella is on and though its expensive, I feed way less of it than other foods and it doesn't have any chemicals in it. Best thing to do though is to get her onto a good, high quality large breed puppy food with meat as the first listed ingredient.

Shanao wrote: »
    +1 on what AJ said. Definitely leave her on the same food for a while. If you're anywhere near a Maxi Zoo, i would definitely reccommend Real nature, its what my fella is on and though its expensive, I feed way less of it than other foods and it doesn't have any chemicals in it. Best thing to do though is to get her onto a good, high quality large breed puppy food with meat as the first listed ingredient.

Coincidence is their is a maxi zoo opening up down the road from me at the end of the month ;) faith it must be as I collect her around that time too.:) Thanks for tips .

Bestformydog is the site the breeder uses for food so I will have a look their I'm sure all the top Qaulity foods cost the same anyway so I'm best keeping with what the pup knows and likes .;)

• Advertisement

:D bringing my puppy home this week , i hope im ready and i expect alot of what iv learned will go out the window once she arrives in a couple days but im hopeful all will be good ,one thing i was wondering is when i pick her up in the car do i need to bring the dog crate for her or will that be an instant bad start to the later crate training im planning :confused: if so whats the best way to transport her. Plus if their is any other hints or tips that people can give me feel more than welcome ;):)

How far do you need to bring this pup? I would bring the crate in case it's needed in any case but also bring a friend who won't mind too much if they get puppy vomit on them :D. If it's not too far and the pup is upset at being closed in the crate the spare person could deal with that. It would be good if you had a crate that would fit in the back seat but I'm guessing that's very unlikely!

How far do you need to bring this pup? I would bring the crate in case it's needed in any case but also bring a friend who won't mind too much if they get puppy vomit on them :D. If it's not too far and the pup is upset at being closed in the crate the spare person could deal with that. It would be good if you had a crate that would fit in the back seat but I'm guessing that's very unlikely!

Its about an hour and a half drive so its fairly long time i think for her , my fiancee will be with me and she does not mind the pup on her lap but i just taught maybe id need some more safe transport ? :) my taughts on crate were it could put her off it if she is distressed by leaving her mother and then i would find it harder to get her house trained maybe :confused:

The pup should be fine in a crate she can see out of in the back seat with some sitting beside it. Stop for a break every half hour or so. I don't recommend puppy training pads for house training but they are very absorbant and great for that first journey as any messes get contained, putting one on top of a soft cushion or something will give the pup as comfy and stress free journey as possible. It can be changed for a new one quickly and easily if needed. Also put bin bags under and behind the crate to protect the seat!

The pup should be fine in a crate she can see out of in the back seat with some sitting beside it. Stop for a break every half hour or so. I don't recommend puppy training pads for house training but they are very absorbant and great for that first journey as any messes get contained, putting one on top of a soft cushion or something will give the pup as comfy and stress free journey as possible. It can be changed for a new one quickly and easily if needed. Also put bin bags under and behind the crate to protect the seat!

ok thanks and will i be ok to do crate training asap then when i get her home :confused:

ok thanks and will i be ok to do crate training asap then when i get her home :confused:

Yes, and it's a good idea to go as early in the day as you can so she has plenty of time to get used to the idea of it before her first night, leave the door open and don't give her the option of anywhere else to have a nap. If she falls asleep pick her up and put her in the crate leaving the door open, if she keeps coming out to lay down somewhere else, just keep putting her back and telling her that's her bed. I'll be hard work for a few days but she'll soon get used to the idea. You can throw a blanket over it to make it into a cosy little den.

Yes, and it's a good idea to go as early in the day as you can so she has plenty of time to get used to the idea of it before her first night, leave the door open and don't give her the option of anywhere else to have a nap. If she falls asleep pick her up and put her in the crate leaving the door open, if she keeps coming out to lay down somewhere else, just keep putting her back and telling her that's her bed. I'll be hard work for a few days but she'll soon get used to the idea. You can throw a blanket over it to make it into a cosy little den.

Thanks IV taken 5 days holidays from work to get her settled in lets hope I can get a good start in that period :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

when we first brought our puppy home we had a 3hr drive. My OH drove and i held the puppy on my lap on a blanket. Stopped for pee twice, and had to wake her. She slept the whole way, no accidents or vomit. She wasn't scared either.

Also good tip i got when crate training was to feed the pup in the crate and give treats in there. It makes it a place they want to go. Our dog is 2 and we still use it. She will run into crate if it's raining and she doesn't wanna go outside and will happily go to bed each night.

when we first brought our puppy home we had a 3hr drive. My OH drove and i held the puppy on my lap on a blanket. Stopped for pee twice, and had to wake her. She slept the whole way, no accidents or vomit. She wasn't scared either.

Also good tip i got when crate training was to feed the pup in the crate and give treats in there. It makes it a place they want to go. Our dog is 2 and we still use it. She will run into crate if it's raining and she doesn't wanna go outside and will happily go to bed each night.

Thanks , I was all prepared for feeding her an hour or 2 before bedtime so she has a chance to clear herself out before going into crate for night if their was food in the crate would that not increase chance of a accident during night, I do know I'll have to get up during night, do I wake the pup or wait til I hear her cry?

• Advertisement

Ask the breeder not to feed her before you collect her. It will help with the travel sickness and having an empty tummy is much better.

Advertisement