Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Akita breed...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

jo06555 wrote: »
    Thanks , I was all prepared for feeding her an hour or 2 before bedtime so she has a chance to clear herself out before going into crate for night if their was food in the crate would that not increase chance of a accident during night, I do know I'll have to get up during night, do I wake the pup or wait til I hear her cry?
    sorry for not been clear. I meant feed all meals in crate. A young pup should be fed 4 times a day so i fed all meals in crate, just pop the bowl in and leave door open. It just helps the doggie associate the crate wit good things. Absolutely feed an hour or two before bed to allow for toilet time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

you should set your alarm for night time so the dog doesn't associate crying with getting attention. At night don't make a fuss or get the dog excited. Just quietly put him outside and praise when he goes toilet and back in crate wit hardly any interaction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Saw a really beautiful brown and white one on Sunday. Beautifully groomed. They are a magnificent dog. Good luck with yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

jo06555 wrote: »
    Thanks , I was all prepared for feeding her an hour or 2 before bedtime so she has a chance to clear herself out before going into crate for night if their was food in the crate would that not increase chance of a accident during night, I do know I'll have to get up during night, do I wake the pup or wait til I hear her cry?
    sorry for not been clear. I meant feed all meals in crate. A young pup should be fed 4 times a day so i fed all meals in crate, just pop the bowl in and leave door open. It just helps the doggie associate the crate wit good things. Absolutely feed an hour or two before bed to allow for toilet time.

Oh right ye that sounds better thanks ;) appreciate all the advice here from everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭Discostuy

You should hopefully find toilet training easy enough with an Akita. They are really clean dogs who won't dirty their own area if they can help it.

They are referred to in a lot of books as very feline in nature when it comes to cleaniness. They keep themselves very clean and well groomed.

My two only go at the very very back of the garden. Even on walks outside, they'll drag you away from the path to a secluded grass area just to go for a wee.

Of course as a young pup there will be accidents, but have patience and bear with it. Take them out the back and when they need to go and keep repeating "toilet" or whatever word you want.
    That way, once they've grown a few months, they will go on command of that word (great for the cold rainy nights when you dont want to hang around)

They are also big water drinkers, so as puppies, they will wee a lot.

They are also very quiet dogs who don't bark/whine needlessly...so if you do her them bark during the night, it could be that they want to go to the toilet.

The crate is a good idea. As much as they love company, they also like peace and quiet, so its a good idea to have somewhere they can go and escape when the house gets hectic.

Akitas like attention and affection, but mostly on their terms. They won't have much time for random kids or strangers pulling out of them or hugging them.

Mine hate being hugged or "trapped" and will look to break free. They also hate people touching their paws...so I try not have people grab them by their paws.

They are amazing dogs. Super companions and extrememly loyal.
    But they are extremely headstrong/stubborn and very intelligent. They command a lot of respect and require constant firm leadership.
    They will walk all over you if they you give them an inch...so start as you mean to go on :)

...they are also super cool dogs and I'm sure you'll have many years of "interesting" times ahead :p

Oh and be sure to post some pics when you get him :D

• Advertisement

Discostuy wrote: »
    You should hopefully find toilet training easy enough with an Akita. They are really clean dogs who won't dirty their own area if they can help it.

They are referred to in a lot of books as very feline in nature when it comes to cleaniness. They keep themselves very clean and well groomed.

My two only go at the very very back of the garden. Even on walks outside, they'll drag you away from the path to a secluded grass area just to go for a wee.

Of course as a young pup there will be accidents, but have patience and bear with it. Take them out the back and when they need to go and keep repeating "toilet" or whatever word you want.
    That way, once they've grown a few months, they will go on command of that word (great for the cold rainy nights when you dont want to hang around)

They are also big water drinkers, so as puppies, they will wee a lot.

They are also very quiet dogs who don't bark/whine needlessly...so if you do her them bark during the night, it could be that they want to go to the toilet.

The crate is a good idea. As much as they love company, they also like peace and quiet, so its a good idea to have somewhere they can go and escape when the house gets hectic.

Akitas like attention and affection, but mostly on their terms. They won't have much time for random kids or strangers pulling out of them or hugging them.

Mine hate being hugged or "trapped" and will look to break free. They also hate people touching their paws...so I try not have people grab them by their paws.

They are amazing dogs. Super companions and extrememly loyal.
    But they are extremely headstrong/stubborn and very intelligent. They command a lot of respect and require constant firm leadership.
    They will walk all over you if they you give them an inch...so start as you mean to go on :)

...they are also super cool dogs and I'm sure you'll have many years of "interesting" times ahead :p

Oh and be sure to post some pics when you get him :D

Thanks for that and I look forward to the good times ahead I'll be sure to post pictures . This weekend will be interesting being her first weekend in our home fingers crossed all will work out :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭jamesd

Yep house training is easy with an Akita, our guy had a few accidents in the kitchen but we got him used to going to the back lawn and now at night (hes 2.5yrs now) he gets up from beside the stove and stands at the sitting room room and stares back at us until we get up to let him out and hes then back in again after a few minutes.
    Really clean dogs - I built ours his own Pen and he has his kennel in it and only once in 2.5 yrs has he gone to the toilet in the pen - he seems to hold it at night and then when hes let out at 7am he runs off and does his business before he come s in to see whats for breakfast.

As said above they are really clean and our guy spends ages cleaning himself at night like a cat.

I would say one thing and its train them early - sitting and coming and small bits like that.

jamesd wrote: »
    Yep house training is easy with an Akita, our guy had a few accidents in the kitchen but we got him used to going to the back lawn and now at night (hes 2.5yrs now) he gets up from beside the stove and stands at the sitting room room and stares back at us until we get up to let him out and hes then back in again after a few minutes.
    Really clean dogs - I built ours his own Pen and he has his kennel in it and only once in 2.5 yrs has he gone to the toilet in the pen - he seems to hold it at night and then when hes let out at 7am he runs off and does his business before he come s in to see whats for breakfast.

As said above they are really clean and our guy spends ages cleaning himself at night like a cat.

I would say one thing and its train them early - sitting and coming and small bits like that.

OK cheers I plan on doing lots of training and to socialize her early to.

My akita inu is home and is so calm all day , she was very nervous as expected but after a few hours she grew in confidence around our home , i was not expecting her to get into crate so easy but after 3 or 4 attempts and encouragement she is now going in when i point and say bed (i hope this keeps up) she is not taking the treat but i assume she will eventually , we have had no accidents in house so far and all in the garden to great petting and happiness , lets hope the weekend goes as good as her first day , i bring her for 2nd vaccinations tommorrow too . :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I had to remove your pic from the post above, it was huuuugge!!! It can still be seen by people if they click on the attachment, or you can resize it and repost it then, 400 x 600 (approx) pixels is good!

• Advertisement

I had to remove your pic from the post above, it was huuuugge!!! It can still be seen by people if they click on the attachment, or you can resize it and repost it then, 400 x 600 (approx) pixels is good!

ye i was trying to change it myself iv never uploaded pics here so i didnt know the right way :o thanks

I don't think you can change the size on here, you can upload it photobucket and make it smaller there or edit it in microsoft office picture manager to resize it first and then upload it.

jamesd wrote: »

Ok i know this is only the 2nd night of crate training and she has done so well so far but i just wonder , she has not went toilet in house once as i keep leaving her out every hour and she goes outside but the one thing she is having trouble with is peeing she has gone 3 times in the crate once during the night and twice today whilst she was only in it at most 40-50 mins while i done 1 or 2 things :confused: first of all should i leave her water during the night and how much and whats the best way to deal with the accidents of peeing in her bed during short periods ? i have being washing the bedding and giving the crate a spray out but she still seems to not be able to hold her pee :confused::)

^^^^^^^^^^^^ANY HELP ON THIS GUYS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ :confused:

I wouldn't be putting water in the crate at all, a pup has to pee 10 mins after a drink, no two ways about it. I assume you are taking her out during the night? You can give her the option of having a drink when you take her out to the toilet. Mine went out at 2am and 6am and I never had any toilet issues at all, you can extend the times by 5 minutes each side of that every nite - eg in 12 days time it will 1am and 7am and you'll get something resembling a decent sleep :D.

I wouldn't be putting water in the crate at all, a pup has to pee 10 mins after a drink, no two ways about it. I assume you are taking her out during the night? You can give her the option of having a drink when you take her out to the toilet. Mine went out at 2am and 6am and I never had any toilet issues at all, you can extend the times by 5 minutes each side of that every nite - eg in 12 days time it will 1am and 7am and you'll get something resembling a decent sleep :D.

She seems to just pee on the blanket in her bed and another in her crate? ?? She has not urinated once on the floor just she goes to where she has comfort and pees? Again today she went in the crate after only being in it half an hour and being left outside to pee too, I have caught her once and carried her straight out the back garden. what can I do now as washing these blankets and Duvets 3 or 4 times a day can't be the only way.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭Discostuy

Try not to get too stressed. It could be weeks before you get her into a routine. Patience is the key..

She is still very young and is probably just confused and still settling in.

A few things I would try is not putting the blanets into her bed/crate until she is ready to go to bed. This should at least save her pee'ing on them during the day.

It may take weeks of carrying her out the back to get her to realise that is where she goes to the toilet.

When I was training my two, they went in their beds too. One thing I always noticed though, was that even at a very young age when they pee'd at night it was never near their water bowl or food bowl. I'm not sure if this was a coincidence or what, but the "accident" was always as far away from their bowls as possible.

Its going to be frustrating, and you'll be cleaning up a lot for the first few weeks.

Try going back to basics. Put some newspaper down at the back door and anytime you see her going or about to go (she'll start sniffing and circling just before she goes), lift her up and put her onto the newspaper.

Leave fresh paper down each time in the same spot beside the back door and just keep repeating this routine.

You'll read tonnes of methods and tips on the internet...at the end of the day I dont think there is any magic solution. One day you'll come downstairs and find she has managed to hold it until she goes out the back...and it will be a great day haha

Good luck, and don't stress too much...you'll get there

Thanks disco she is very good for her age once she looks like she is needing toilet I say "go toilet" she follows me to back door and out straight for a pee :) I hope its just a matter of time before she cracks the nightime, she has not gone pee the last 3 nights so fingers crossed I can keep getting up during night :) she sure makes enough noise for us anyway ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

I saw someone walking a pup up the road maybe 3 or 4 months old, man they are a beautiful dog

luckyfrank wrote: »
    I saw someone walking a pup up the road maybe 3 or 4 months old, man they are a beautiful dog

Ye they are lovely my one is over 9 weeks old she gets excercise out the back as its probably best Il wait til she is 3 months before take her out for walk I think.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭criticalcritic

If I can add two cents,

Akitas are a lovely looking dog, really unique, big and fluffy.
    But in my experience they are not dogs for a family or someome with liitle space or time keep them.
    Being as big and agile as they are, they need a very firm hand and strong willed owner,
    They dont put up children as much as say the more common dogs would, they're very aloof

Be honest Im against akitas and other snow dogs being kept by owners who obvouisly cant handle them, and have no space for them,
    An hour long walk is not enough these dogs, they need open plains to run.

The pounds are full of snow dogs being put down, which is unsettling, means people are not able for these dogs

Whats wrong with a labrador?

By way, if your houseprous, dont get Skita, they will destroy your house and garden as pups, more then average dogs given they so big

Like youve three kids, a garden nowhere near big enough animal like thise

When does getting an Akita become a good idea in this situation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

If I can add two cents,

Akitas are a lovely looking dog, really unique, big and fluffy.
    But in my experience they are not dogs for a family or someome with liitle space or time keep them.
    Being as big and agile as they are, they need a very firm hand and strong willed owner,
    They dont put up children as much as say the more common dogs would, they're very aloof

Be honest Im against akitas and other snow dogs being kept by owners who obvouisly cant handle them, and have no space for them,
    An hour long walk is not enough these dogs, they need open plains to run.

The pounds are full of snow dogs being put down, which is unsettling, means people are not able for these dogs

Whats wrong with a labrador?

By way, if your houseprous, dont get Skita, they will destroy your house and garden as pups, more then average dogs given they so big

Just to point out that Akitas are not 'snow dogs', just because they might look like a husky does not mean that they are from the same descendents. Totally different dogs, totally different temperaments etc etc etc.

The origin of the dogs is irrelevant, Im not an expert but there is not much of a difference in a husky and an akita, they are dogs that need far more attention then the average dog, akitas would be far bigger and more tempermental then a husky

Whats important here and needs be taken into account is that the pounds are full of dogs which have become novelty purchases like Huskies, Akitas and pitbulls, and they are being put down in record numbers

And its people like the OP(nothing personal) who have three children and a modest back garden and provably have busy lifes, who out of the blue decide owning an Akita is a good idea.This is a prime example of why these dogs are overcrowding pounds, and being killed in the hundreds

The origin of the dogs is irrelevant, Im not an expert but there is not much of a difference in a husky and an akita, they are dogs that need far more attention then average dog, akitas would be far bigger and more tempermental then a husky

Whats important here and needs be taken into account is that the pounds are full of dogs which have become novelty purchases like Huskies, Akitas and pitbulls, and they are being put down in record numbers

And its people like the OP(nothing personally) who have three children and a modest back garden and provably have busy lifes, who decide owning an Akita is a good idea.This is a prime example of why these dogs are overcrowding pounds, and being killed in the hundreds

Of course its relevant, akitas have never been a sled dog breed, they are totally different to huskies. Theres no reason at all why the family in the scenario you portray couldn't give a fantastic home to an Akita. Akita's are very loyal dogs to their family, why couldn't they live within a working family with a modest back garden? As long as they get exercised every day, I'd say it would be a fantastic home.

ISDW wrote: »
    The origin of the dogs is irrelevant, Im not an expert but there is not much of a difference in a husky and an akita, they are dogs that need far more attention then average dog, akitas would be far bigger and more tempermental then a husky

And its people like the OP(nothing personally) who have three children and a modest back garden and provably have busy lifes, who decide owning an Akita is a good idea.This is a prime example of why these dogs are overcrowding pounds, and being killed in the hundreds

Of course its relevant, akitas have never been a sled dog breed, they are totally different to huskies. Theres no reason at all why the family in the scenario you portray couldn't give a fantastic home to an Akita. Akita's are very loyal dogs to their family, why couldn't they live within a working family with a modest back garden? As long as they get exercised every day, I'd say it would be a fantastic home.

Your missing my point,

The dog breed and its comparisons with other breeds is not important.

But sure we can agree an Akita is alot more to take on then a Collie or Jack Russell

Yes your right, it would be great that this family adopts an Akita and gives its loads of love, hours of exercise and the specialised care it needs.

But lets live in the real world shall we?
    This is not going on at the moment
    As most people especially families like this are taking on akitas, pitbulls and huskies they cant handle, and in turn are being left pounds to join thousands of other doomed akitas and huskies who found themselves in same situation from a family who thought owning an Akita was great idea but were soon overwhelmed by needs of such a dog

Lets talk sense, if you have a modest sized garden,have full time job and decided to have three kids an Akita is not the dog for you

To say otherwise is madness

Plenty of dogs in shelthers need rescuing, forget paying 500 quid for dog not suitable for your home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Do you know anything about Akitas or are you just having a go at them for some reason? :rolleyes:

Have you ever been around an Akita? Have you any experience of the breed?

Your missing my point,

The dog breed and its comparisons with other breeds is not important.

But sure we can agree an Akita is alot more to take on then a Collie or Jack Russell

Yes your right, it would be great that this family adopts an Akita and gives its loads of love, hours of exercise and the specialised care it needs.

But lets live in the real world shall we?
    This is not going on at the moment
    As most people especially families like this are taking on akitas, pitbulls and huskies they cant handle, and in turn are being left pounds to join thousands of other doomed akitas and huskies who found themselves in same situation from a family who thought owning an Akita was great idea but were soon overwhelmed by needs of such a dog

Lets talk sense, if you have a modest sized garden,have full time job and decided to have three kids an Akita is not the dog for you

To say otherwise is madness

Plenty of dogs in shelthers need rescuing, forget paying 500 quid for dog not suitable for your home

I do live in the real world, and there are a lot of people out there who give fantastic homes to dogs, even with jobs and children in the family. And actually no, I wouldn't say that an Akita would be any more work than a collie, they are a working breed, who need exercise and stimulation. JRTs are also working dogs, and can also be destructive, aggressive etc if they are bored and understimulated.

I know a lot of people who have modest sized gardens, work and have children and have given, and continue to give, fantastic homes to dogs of all breeds, because they see the dog as a lifetime commitment and they give that dog what it needs. So I guess I'm preaching madness, but I'll live with it.

But back to your original point, Akitas were not bred as sibes were, to run miles each day pulling a sled, so their exercise needs are different. The purpose that a dog was bred for is very relevant, if you were willing to open your mind and actually think about it. I would recommend a family with young children get an akita before I'd recommend a border collie, because of what their origins and breed traits are. There are thousands (using your same propensity to over-exaggerations) of collies put to sleep in this country every year because they have bitten, usually they have nipped someone, as they try to herd people, especially children, because they are not stimulated enough. There are more collies killed each year in Ireland than Akitas and huskies put together.

A lot of people would rather buy a dog from a responsible breeder, than take a chance on the unknown quantity that a rescue dog could be. That is their right, if they do their research properly, there is no reason why they can't buy a perfect dog for their circumstances, one that has been properly socialised, with all the relevant health tests for that breed etc, and with the back up that a responsible breeder gives them. Unfortunately though there are more irresponsible than responsible breeders, which is actually why the pounds and shelters are so full. Because a responsible breeder would have a contract to take back any dog they sell that needs to be rehomed, just like any reputable rescue will.

andreac wrote: »
    Do you know anything about Akitas or are you just having a go at them for some reason? :rolleyes:

Have you ever been around an Akita? Have you any experience of the breed?

Brother had one
    He has decent sized house and garden,two kids
    After about 9 months his wife who stays home told him dog was too much to handle with kids aswell, house was destroyed and she was afraid of it, and shes a tough lady!

Id say same about Huskies, Wolf hybrids, Rottweilers, pitbulls etc

Dogs that need more specialised care and attention then common breeds

And Im not talking out of my hole, I have Doberman at home and when son was born it was big challenge,

Couldnt imagine doing it with 3 young kids

I ask again though, wouldnt a labrador or beagle do the job here?

Why an Akita?

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Tripp

Brother had one
    He has decent sized house and garden,two kids
    After about 9 months his wife who stays home told him dog was too much to handle with kids aswell, house was destroyed and she was afraid of it, and shes a tough lady!

Id say same about Huskies, Wolf hybrids, Rottweilers, pitbulls etc

Dogs that need more specialised care and attention then common breeds

And Im not talking out of my hole, I have Doberman at home and when son was born it was big challenge,

Couldnt imagine doing it with 3 young kids

I ask again though, wouldnt a labrador or beagle do the job here?

Why an Akita?

9 Months isnt enough time to judge a whole breed, And if after 9 months the Akita was destroying the house then the owners were doing something wrong. No offence intended.

So your basing all this on 9months of experience with your brothers Akita or have you other experience cause it looks like your having a go at the breed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Oh for gods sake.You would say the same about Rottweilers, pitbulls too and this coming from a Dobermann owner?

If you knew anything about the dogs you have mentioned you would know that they are actually known to be good with children, its in their breed standard.

Your brothers Akita obviously wasnt getting the correct training, exercise and handling if thats the way it turned out.

What job are you talking about? The op got an Akita and sounds like they know exactly what they are doing so i really dont see the problem.
    Why not an Akita?

Advertisement