Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 Bad cigarrette in packet

Options
  • 11-09-2011 5:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    first off, I think I'm posting in the right place, if not, then I apologise.

I'm wondering what I should do regarding a cigarette that I tried to light from a packet of Marlboro Lights yesterday. I was trying to light it and when I was pulling on it I knew there was something wrong as it was like there was holes in it and it wouldn't light.

I investigated the ciggy and it's not been wrapped properly/made correctly I kept it as in all the years I've been smoking and around my smoker friends I've never heard of this happening. I can't find anything on the net for Marlboro so I thought I'd come here for some advice.

I'm sure there are people who are non-smokers and will say that this is a silly thread and why should I be bothered about one wee cigarette but they're costly enough that I want to have 20 smoke-able cigarettes rather than 19.

Any advice??

Thanks,
    Aoife

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Aside from writing to the cigatette company with photographs i cant think of what you could do. The stamp will cost you more then the cigarette. Just ignore it, as you said its the first time its happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It happens from time to time. It just got snagged in the rolling process and was missed in quality control. No big deal but write to the manufacturers if you wish - they'll take your word for it without receiving the cig back, I'm sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

Cigarettes are cheap - the tax makes them expensive.

One possibility is its a fake pack - plenty about. Check the packaging and that other cigs in the pack taste the same as normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

maxer68 wrote: »
    Cigarettes are cheap - the tax makes them expensive.

One possibility is its a fake pack - plenty about. Check the packaging and that other cigs in the pack taste the same as normal.

It's just a faulty one in a packet. Why the jump to conspiracy and forgery????

And the cost of cigarettes includes the tax; so why separate them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

Send it back to the factory they will send you back some samples.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I'd argue there are 20 bad cigarettes in a packet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Theres an info line number on the packet, call them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Repair with rizla paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

Back when I used to smoke, I was ripping up a B&H one time for, uhhhh, research purposes when I found a 1cm length of hard plastic, like a little piece of black tie-wrap inside it. Smoking weed Doing research can help prevent you inadvertently smoking plastic.

I didn't complain to B&H, but you should OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

It's just a faulty one in a packet. Why the jump to conspiracy and forgery????

And the cost of cigarettes includes the tax; so why separate them?

How on EARTH is that jumping to conspiracy & forgery???

Counterfeit cigarettes is a HUGE problem and therefore it is quite viable that ONE possibilty is that the pack is counterfeit and quite clearly stated for the OP to make their own mind up through their own knowledge of how the cigarette should taste.

Not jumping to any conspiracy, giving one of the options that is out there in quite vast quantities. (10-12% of cigarettes sold are illegal imports and 6-7% are considered to be counterfeit cigarettes - both figures from Euromonitor) - That's says up to 7 out of every hundred packets of cigarettes sold are not made by the brand that is on the packet. hmmm... I don't think thats jumping to any conspiracy theory.

As for seperating the tax from the cost of the product - I'm saying cigarettes are a cheap product, and sometimes cheap products don;t get the sames care in manufacture as more expensive product.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭monkey tree

Hi there, yeah I have advice for the op, GIVE UP SMOKING!!! Read Alan Carrs book it is great, I smoked for years and am off them 2 years now and I honestly don't know myself.

Don't be a fool for these cigarette companies, you are paying them to slowly kill yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posters - please lay off the health advice. It's not necessary.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Tzetze wrote: »
    Back when I used to smoke, I was ripping up a B&H one time for, uhhhh, research purposes

PMSL.

Bennies were great for research - more leaf, less twig.

stimpson Please stick to the topic at hand.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

2 stroke wrote: »
    Repair with rizla paper.
    Better still keep it for a spliff. :p

Run_to_da_hills Seriously - did you decide to ignore the previous two warnings about staying on topic?

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Bones08

I have noticed lately that some of the marlboro packs have two differant company details on the sides,
    one of which has really bad quality cigs in them (not smokable)
    the other are normal and fine,
    It depends what shop you buy them from.
    My question is do all shops get their cigs from one importer or are there several thus some of them trading in the not so ligit way. ?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Bones08 wrote: »
    I have noticed lately that some of the marlboro packs have two differant company details on the sides,
    one of which has really bad quality cigs in them (not smokable)
    the other are normal and fine,
    It depends what shop you buy them from.
    My question is do all shops get their cigs from one importer or are there several thus some of them trading in the not so ligit way. ?

There is a school of thought which believes that the amount of forgeries is quite small - rather they are cigs produced for cheaper economies which are being exported to dearer economies and thus discommoding the distributors.

I was in Kostryzn market a couple of years ago and it was flooded with cheap cigarettes - being an EU country I doubt that Poland would let such wide scale selling of forgeries take place but over there €6 for a packet would be untenable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

I'd ring up. Their quality control dept will want to hear about this.

discus wrote: »
    I'd ring up. Their quality control dept will want to hear about this.

Looked everywhere for a number or even an email contact and cant find one anywhere ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Bones08 wrote: »
    Looked everywhere for a number or even an email contact and cant find one anywhere ?
    Ring the customs people and let them check if the cigarettes being sold are legitimate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

I had the same problem last week with a packet of Pall Mall. Every single smoke bar 2 were bad. 6 or 7 had holes, and with the others, the tobacco completely fell out every time I tried to tap my ash. trying to find details to email them but to no avail either.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Thanks! All I could get was details for them in america!

OK so,
    Iv gotten to the end of it i think,
    They are saying this metaly taste, flimsy ash and going out by its self is all down to a new european legislation saying that all cigarrettes must have this new fire proof paper ;-)
    i know it dosent make alot of sense, but if you were having a few scoops and the fag fell from the hand maybe you wouldnt burn the gaf down :-0
    Well im giving them up next week cause i cant handle the tase of the new ones.

Advertisement