Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget Multi Monitor SSD 64 bit setup?

Options
  • 11-09-2011 6:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭

This is a bit of a Frankenstein's Monster as I have essentially put bits and pieces together from watching other threads and reading all of your recommendations. Just let me know if I'm wasting my time and money if there is a bottleneck anywhere that would negate spending the extra money on the SSD and 8GB of RAM.

I am doing Software Development in college and I want to build a PC to use at home. My current desktop is an archaic iQon with an Intel Core 2, 1GB Ram running vista. It takes forever to do anything, even browsing the net can sometimes get frustrating. I won't be playing any new games on this machine, I might bust out the original deus ex or Red Alert but that would be it really.

I want to be able to use two monitors and my TV. I already have my TV hooked up to my current PC as it has a VGA input. I have no idea what type of video card I need. Would I be able to use a video card with just 2 outputs for the monitors and then use the motherboards output for the third or would I need a graphics card with 3 outputs? I'm not interested in Full HD or anything like that but would like to play SD stuff on the TV.

I also want to keep the cost down as much as possible while keeping the SSD and multiple monitors, so if you have any thoughts of what I can cut then please say so.

Total build cost: €561.04 + €30 shipping
    AMD Phenom II X4 955 Box, Sockel AM3 €93.37
    MSI 870-C45, Sockel AM3, ATX, PCIe €47.10
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W €41.00
    8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9 €30.59
    WD Caviar Blue 500GB SATA 3 6Gb/s €33.95
    Intel SSD 320 Series 40GB, 6,4cm (2.5"), SATA II, retail €75.59
    2 x ASUS VW197D 47cm (18,5") €82.61
    DIGITUS® Wireless 150N PCI Adapter €16.09
    BitFenix Shinobi Midi-Tower black Window, ohne Netzteil €58.13

Thanks for your advice in advance

Edit: I already have a DVD drive, mouse, keyboard and card reader that I can salvage from my current PC and I will pick up a copy of Windows 7 on software4students

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

You don't have a graphics card in there.
    You need to either get a graphics card or upgrade to a board with integrated graphics. If you want to run two monitors on the integrated graphics, you will have to use one VGA connection and one DVI/HDMI connection. Those monitors only have VGA so you would need to one with DVI or both monitors with multiple ports.

It might be easier to get a cheap card like the 5450 though.

I know that you're already on a tight budget, but it's only €12 to upgrade to the crucial M4.
    http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=46113
    While you can't avail of the full potential of the drive as that board doesn't support SATA 6Gbps, you still get an extra 24 GB and you can make more use of the drive if you upgrade later... it might be no harm to scale back the processor to a minimum for a better board with support for AM3+ processors and SATA 6Gbps and upgrade the processor in a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

I didn't put in a graphics card cos I don't have a notion of what to look for in one:D

Video: I had a look there at some 5450s that you recommended, they have three outputs. Does that mean you can run three monitors off one card? I could run the vga to one monitor, use an adapter to convert the DVI to vga for a second monitor and run HDMI to the TV? Is that insanely optimistic? What if I bought two of these cards?

CPU: Is the Phenom X4 overkill for what I would be doing? What should I scale it back to?

SSD: That Crucial drive looks good for the difference.

Motherboard: Like Graphics cards I have no idea what I'm looking for in these apart from socket type really. If you could suggest something that would take full advantage of the SSD that would be great.

Thanks for your reply.

EDIT: Just did some googling there and it seems I would need two Graphics cards not crossfired/sli'd to run three displays. Just not sure if the motherboard I have picked will run two cards?

Do you want your tv + two monitors at the same time?
    AMD's 5xxx/6xxx series of cards will support 3 outputs but one of them has to be displayport (make sure that you pick a card that actually has displayport). You need to have (a) a monitor with displayport or (b) a displayport to adapter or (c) an active/eyefinity displayport to DVI adapter (there are cheap "passive" adapters that don't work.

CPU: What programs will you be using? If it's just basic programming, you don't need much but if you're doing big animations, you might need more. If you're going to be playing videos and doing other stuff at the same time, you might need more. You could get a tri-core processor and when the new CPUs come out and come down in price, you could get a cheap 6-core (as long as you get a compatible board).

The cheapest one with displayport looks like the gigabyte 5450
    http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?adp=0&aid=4368
    They don't specifically mention anything about multiple monitors on their page so you may have to dig around for some reviews.
    http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3639#ov
    next one in line is the 5670
    http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?adp=0&aid=45186

I'll have a look at motherboards later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

I think you should add a large capacity HDD also for storage.

Maybe a 1TB Samsung F3? About 50 quid.

So I've made a few changes.

Yes I want to run 3 Displays if possible.

I have a different motherboard with AM3+ compatibility and 2 x PCI Express 2.0 x16 slots which I think will allow me to run two 5450s? I could take a VGA feed of each card for the monitors and run a HDMI to the TV? I don't think I can afford a displayport monitor so this might be the way to do it using the monitors I had already picked?

Changing the CPU will only save around €10 to drop to a phenom X2 so I think I'll keep the Phenom X4. I won't be doing anything that CPU intensive but you never know it might come in handy later on. Might play videos on one monitor while working on the others.

1TB Spinpoint F3 added and SSD changed to Crucial M4.

Thanks for your time.

Total build cost: €670.59 + €30 shipping
    Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB, SATA II (HE103SJ) €50.35
    Crucial M4 64GB SSD 6,4cm (2,5") €87.14
    2 x MSI R5450-MD1GH, 1024MB, PCI-Express €27.06
    MSI 870A-G54 (FX) €74.58

• Advertisement

On the specifications of the GPU, I see "Multi-view | 3", so that seems to indicate 3 monitors. Also in the manual, there's:

174130.PNG

CRT = VGA
    So you can use VGA + displayport (can get -> VGA adapter) + HDMI (tv).

Now I don't know how your layout will work but it is possible to run 3 screens on one card. You don't need two cards. I think that the 5670 is actually better than 2 5450s, so if you want to spend €50 on graphics, get that or better.

That's a much better board. Another good looking one close by is the 970 gigabyte board. There's one or two minor differences of the 970 chipset but we don't really know if there's any real advantage until the new processors are tested.
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=48269

Thanks for that! I have learned an awful lot about graphics interfaces over the last few days.

That Gigabyte 5450 looks like the right one for the job. The only problem is I can't find a DP to VGA adapter on HWVS. They have two Mini-DP to VGA adapters but they're no good to me. I can probably pick one up on amazon anyway.

Here's what it looks like now

Total build cost: €644.92 + €30 shipping
    Gigabyte Radeon HD 5450, 512MB DDR2, PCI-Express €27.03
    Gigabyte GA-970-UD3, AMD 970, AM3+, ATX €76.00

Thanks again for your time. If you or anyone else has any more info or advice then please chime in.

I haven't read reviews of these monitors, but there's others around that price range with higher resolution.

http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=44472
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=44468

You might be able to save a bit getting monitors second hand. A quick look on adverts gives loads of results for 19'' monitors. A lot of people are moving onto 23/24'' ones now so you might pick up a good deal.

Edit: Actually, some of them are not that cheap.

Edit 2: I think monitors are overpriced on adverts in comparison to what you can get on HWV.

Yeah those ASUS monitors look good for the price, don't know how I missed them. They have a better resolution then the two I had picked also.

OK one last question. Is the PSU adequate?

Thanks.

Total build cost: €624.52 + €30 shipping
    Gigabyte Radeon HD 5450, 512MB DDR2, PCI-Express €27.03
    Gigabyte GA-970-UD3, AMD 970, AM3+, ATX €76.00
    2 x ASUS VW199D €72.41

A triple monitor SSD 64 bit setup for €650. Not bad I'd say.

Yeah, the PSU is loads. There's enough room there to add a midrange card if you feel the need to later.

There was another monitor there around the same price with DVI + VGA but it had the same resolution as your original monitors.

• Advertisement

I think I'll stick with those monitors as the GB 5450 doesn't have DVI out. I'll be happy enough with the res from the VGA as I won't be doing anything like photoshop or gaming.

Thanks for the help guys. Will keep ye posted on how it goes. Will be ordering over the next few weeks.

Those displayport to VGA adapters are actually pretty expensive, looking on amazon - nearly €25. Don't forget to avail of their free postage with orders above £25.

Keep you eyes on releases of AMD's new Bulldozer processors in case they are released before you buy.

Seeing as an adapter is as expensive as a second 5450 should I just get a second graphics card? Would I need a mobo with 2 PCIe 2.0 x 16 lanes? And will the PSU run two cards?

I swear I'll leave ye alone after this! Thanks.

While the second slot is only x4, it's probably hardly going to effect something as low as a 5450.
    However, I think that you'll still need displayport if you have a second card. The alternative is two nVidia cards, which fortunately is supported in the lastest AMD's chipsets. I'd avoid those cheap 8400gs as they're so old. The 210 is worse than the 5450 but would do the job. Next in line is the 520 but it would be €70 for a pair.

You could get an intel system which would allow you to use integrated graphics and a dedicated card simultaneously. You can get 4 monitors that way, I think.

Total build cost: €188.20
    ASRock Z68 Pro3 (B3), Sockel 1155, ATX €91.79
    Intel Core i3-2100 Box, LGA1155 €96.41
    About €20 dearer than your current board + CPU. AFAIK you can use 4 monitors. The CPU is just a dual core but faster in single/dual threaded processes. With a good board like that, you can upgrade later.

Thanks for your help so far guys.

Okay so I've saved up a few more euro and have upped my budget to €1000. I'm going to order this before Christmas so I can have something to play with when off college.

CPU:
    I've seen the Bulldozer that AMD have released and it seems that they still don't compare to the Intel 1155 range. The i5-2500K seems to be the one to get and I might look into OCing it as someone here lately said that it's fairly easy nowadays depending on the motherboard.

GPU:
    Still don't have a clue about GPUs but I've seen the 560Ti mentioned a few times. I want something that can run two HD monitors (the ones I've linked are both DVI-D) and can play something like Skyrim without problems.

MOBO:
    Something that I can use to OC the i5-2500k and make use of an SSD.

SSD:
    Think I'll get a 64GB model. Any in particular that are more reliable than others?

RAM:
    Depending on the board would I be better off with 2x4GB sticks or with 4x2GB sticks?

Here's what I have so far:

Total build cost: €617.04 + €30 shipping
    ASUS PCE-N10 €17.99
    OCZ Vertex Plus 60GB SSD SATA 6,4cm (2,5") €66.14
    BitFenix Shinobi Midi-Tower black Window, ohne Netzteil €59.15
    Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155 €187.76
    2 x BenQ G2225HD €99.00
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 500GB SATA 6GB's €88.00

Thanks.

If you want a good SSD, get the crucial M4.

Any graphics card today will run two monitors. I hope you don't want to game with two monitors as a split down the middle would be annoying (ok for strategy games, I'd imagine). 1 or 3 is best for games. A 560ti would be fine for running two monitors or games on one.

Edit: I've already recommended the M4 several times on the thread. The OCZ is an okay drive if you're on a tight budget but reliability and speed is better with the M4. They've gone up, probably because most other SSDs were disasters for reliability and the HDD shortage so demand would be high.

Thanks. added the M4.

Are any particular Graphics Card manufacturers recommended over another? Gainward or Club3D etc?
    Won't be gaming on two monitors, just the one.

Total build cost: €821.30 + €30 shipping
    ASUS PCE-N10 €17.99
    BitFenix Shinobi Midi-Tower black Window, ohne Netzteil €59.15
    Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155 €187.76
    2 x BenQ G2225HD €99.00
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 500GB SATA 6GB's €88.00
    Crucial M4 64GB SSD 6,4cm (2,5") €95.54
    8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9 €29.34
    Samsung SH-222AB bare schwarz SATA €15.23
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W €41.48
    MSI Z68A-G43 (G3), Intel Z68, ATX, DDR3 €88.81

Advertisement