Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

More analogue than digital!

Options
  • 11-09-2011 6:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭

I've noticed these days a lot of cars have electronic controlled accelerators and brakes, which operate a servo instead of a cable that used to do this. To me it just seems like more points of failure!

Is there any car these days that has physical connections to the throttle, brake servo, etc?

I'm a bit paranoid of electronics handling stuff sometimes. :pac:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

Passenger Boeing and Airbus planes have been fly by wire for donkeys years.

Mechanical/hydraulic systems can fail too!

Rover had fly by wire on their intercooled l series in the mid to late 90s, nothing new really, reliable too.

.... and of course, as most of these systems would have potentiometers they are analogue rather than digital :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

[anorak ON] . . . which connect to A/D converters making the values digital ;) [/anorak OFF]

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 26,281 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

cables and chains strech, need tighetning and have no failover procedure. Drive by wire systems can have automatic tests, backup sensors and failover circuits, they can self calibrate and stay just as accurate as the car ages

• Advertisement
Advertisement