Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is 3 a wise choice?

Options
  • 11-09-2011 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

Want to port over to three, for their free iphone offer, and their very good data allowance compared to Vodafone (current) or O2 networks.

Can anyone think of a reason I should avoid them? Coverage seems to be good........

Its a 24mth contract, so does anyone know if you can change your phone during this period/upgrade?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭vicM

mumof2 wrote: »
    Want to port over to three, for their free iphone offer, and their very good data allowance compared to Vodafone (current) or O2 networks.

Can anyone think of a reason I should avoid them? Coverage seems to be good........

Its a 24mth contract, so does anyone know if you can change your phone during this period/upgrade?

Thanks
    get a prepay SIM to test coverage first, this is vital.don't rely on what it seems..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

Thanks

3 are pretty strict on upgrade within contract period. Remember new iPhone is rumoured to be out next month prob in Ireland for Christmas, do you really want to be tied into what will in 24 months be prob 2 generations old.

Meteor and e-mobile also offer free iPhone I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭LH2011

Thanks

i see vodafone are doing the 32GB iphone 4 for FREE on 2yr contract, however you get only 1gb data, and free VF calls and texts for the monthly cost of €30... however you can customise the plan to add more minutes etc, however it makes the plan, the VF offering is not really that great value, but may suit light users...

not sure if VF still have the issues with dropped calls, on iphone 4... aparently tesco mobile are getting into the bill pay market soon, so may be worth holding out, to see what they will have...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,224 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Thanks

Vodafone & o2 are not at the races when it comes to price plans at the moment. I wouldn't have any hesitation moving I did it years ago and have had a few foreign holidays with what i've saved since.

As for changing your phone you can do that at any time but you'd have to pay pay as you go prices if your not due an upgrade. Your free to sell your iphone4 if an iphone5 comes out and pay the difference yourself.
    If you didn't want a 24mt contract you could always get it on an 18mt contract you'll just pay a little extra for the phone rather than getting it free.
    The way the upgrades work is your due and upgrade after 10mts on a 12mt contract. 16mts on an 18mt and 22mts on a 24mt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

All this talk of iphone, why not port to 3 and avail of the best phone on the market at the moment in the Samsung Galaxy S2,for free. Yes 24 months is a long time, and phone technology moves on, but even with these standards of phones, iphone incl., you will get good value from your phone over 2 years.

BTW, I ported from VF to 3 last month,as did my wife. Our phone signal is better than it ever was with VF, could never get an indoor signal with VF, now we can.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

xz wrote: »
    ...BTW, I ported from VF to 3 last month,as did my wife. Our phone signal is better than it ever was with VF, could never get an indoor signal with VF, now we can.

Did you also change your phone?

Vodafone & o2 are not at the races when it comes to price plans at the moment. I wouldn't have any hesitation moving I did it years ago and have had a few foreign holidays with what i've saved since.

As for changing your phone you can do that at any time but you'd have to pay pay as you go prices if your not due an upgrade. Your free to sell your iphone4 if an iphone5 comes out and pay the difference yourself.
    If you didn't want a 24mt contract you could always get it on an 18mt contract you'll just pay a little extra for the phone rather than getting it free.
    The way the upgrades work is your due and upgrade after 10mts on a 12mt contract. 16mts on an 18mt and 22mts on a 24mt.

Agree with most of what you say, but three don't easily unlock abill pay phone until the contact is up and even then ask for an administration fee

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Admin fee is no more with 3

BostonB wrote: »
    ...BTW, I ported from VF to 3 last month,as did my wife. Our phone signal is better than it ever was with VF, could never get an indoor signal with VF, now we can.

Did you also change your phone?
    Yes, I went for the Galaxy S2, which was free but on a 24 month contract

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Don't go for the iPhone! A) The iPhone 5 is coming soon and B) there are no end of people complaining about iPhone 2g/3g issues on Three.

• Advertisement

Yes, I went for the Galaxy S2, which was free but on a 24 month contract

Then you don't know if the improvement was due to the network or the phone. The later I assume would be more likely. Considering AFAIK 3 use the Vodafone network.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Maental2000

Walkman wrote: »
    Admin fee is no more with 3

Really???! How do you know this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Cause i asked

Don't go for the iPhone! A) The iPhone 5 is coming soon and B) there are no end of people complaining about iPhone 2g/3g issues on Three.

Have you even the slightest bit of evidence there is an iphone5 as for the issues with 2G/3G until the rest of the networks go fully 3G like 3 there's always going to be a 2G/3G issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

Have you even the slightest bit of evidence there is an iphone5 as for the issues with 2G/3G until the rest of the networks go fully 3G like 3 there's always going to be a 2G/3G issue.

The only network with a 2G/3G issue is Three.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Morf3h

One word of warning:

My new Galaxy S2 was stolen after a week being with three. Insurance company turned me down so I've no phone and a €40/month 24-month contract.

Nigs

also, if you want to put your sim into another phone it has to be a smartphone as the three sim cards are '3G' and won't work in older phones. I had to bring the old iPhone to Electric Picnic as a result.

The sims will work in some old phones, the old nokia builders 5140i will take a 3 sim, prefect for the picnic.
    Why did the insurance turn you down a stolen phone is a stolen phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

Do 3 block some sites? I picked up a sim and to try out coverage but some sites appeared blocked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

Morf3h wrote: »
    One word of warning:

My new Galaxy S2 was stolen after a week being with three. Insurance company turned me down so I've no phone and a €40/month 24-month contract.

Nigs

also, if you want to put your sim into another phone it has to be a smartphone as the three sim cards are '3G' and won't work in older phones. I had to bring the old iPhone to Electric Picnic as a result.

Why did insurance company turn you down, I would not be very happy about that, have you complained to ombudsman. Also if you took out contract of insurance through 3 they are not living up to their end.

BostonB wrote: »
    Then you don't know if the improvement was due to the network or the phone. The later I assume would be more likely. Considering AFAIK 3 use the Vodafone network.

3 use their own network on 3G, they only use VF 2G network

• Advertisement

Do 3 block some sites? I picked up a sim and to try out coverage but some sites appeared blocked.

On pay as you go yes they have 2, on bill pay you can take the restrictions off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

Am going to go with the 24mth contract, once I ve asked a few more questions in the shop tomoro. Otherwise I've got to pay €179 for the phone on an 18 mth contract.

Thanks for all replies.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 rtunes

I've got terrible coverage - and I live in the Dublin city centre!

rtunes wrote: »
    So you get poor coverage all over the city and at all times? Find it hard to believe

• Registered Users Posts: 43 rtunes

vicM wrote: »
    So you get poor coverage all over the city and at all times? Find it hard to believe

I'd find it hard to believe too, if that's what I had said. Honestly though, have to walk round the house to speak to someone on the phone and calls go through to voicemail if I'm on the outskirts. Randomly unreliable. Just a suggestion for the OP.

I'd find it hard to believe too, if that's what I had said. Honestly though, have to walk round the house to speak to someone on the phone and calls go through to voicemail if I'm on the outskirts. Randomly unreliable. Just a suggestion for the OP.

Well, from your first post it would imply the whole city centre has dire coverage. If you had said your House in the City Centre, then it would have been harder to miscontrue.
    I stay in D15 and inside the house, im always on 2G, if i step outside the door I get 3G with atleast 3 bars. I know the networks dont guarantee indoor coverage but I would be happier with even 2 bars of 3g indoors

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

LOL, you are funny. Are you really, seriously, really going to suggest there isn't going to be an iPhone 5?

Have a search around the threads yourself.

Three are different as they have to roam for national coverage; i.e. Vodafone switch naturally within their system between 2g/3g because all their cell control operates within their own system. However Three sims appear the same as foreign sims to Vodafone and so have to go through an extra layer for changeover.

I cannot believe that you are actually going to deny that there is a huge problem with Three and the 2g/3g roaming despite the numerous posts on the issue.

I'll tell you what, instead of me posting links to the obvious, why don't you find some threads discussing Meteor or O2 similar issues?

LOL, you are funny. Are you really, seriously, really going to suggest there isn't going to be an iPhone 5?

I'd say a iphone4S at best, I'm not sure the iphone4 has reached the end of it's life yet and OS update would be a big deal to apple.
    So yea i'm thinking the whole of the internet is wrong and we won't see a radical iphone 5 this year. There's not one piece of evidence anywhere to say there is a new iphone5, it's all speculation.

Has there not been a new phone every year since they made the first one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone#Model_comparison

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

I was with 3 a few years ago and went to Thailand for a month's holidays.

My Dad was sick at the time and I needed to be contactable over there.

Turns out 3 had no agreement in place with any of the many mobile operators in Thailand:eek:, and I had no coverage on any network for the month, and no way of contacting them. I eventually got through on a friend's phone and they were not the slightest bit helpful.

Lesson learned, never ever again. Couldn't care less if they were giving phones and minutes away for free, I'd never go near them again. Unprofessional and dreadful customer service.

Advertisement