Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow Way & Lugnaquilla - Wild Camping Every Night Viable?

Options
  • 11-09-2011 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm considering walking the Wicklow Way, or some of it, in a week or two, and would really like to hit the summit of Lugnaquilla while doing it. I'm not necessarily bent on completing the "official" WW route all the way to Clonegal, but summiting Lugnaquilla is a big desire. I guess exiting the WW at Glenmalure might suit me?

I made it from Marlay Park to Roundwood on a previous WW attempt before the trip had to be abandoned due to my companion damaging his knee.

So aside from the legalities, can anyone recommend whether it's safe/wise/viable to camp in the Wicklow mountains for 4-5 nights on the trot?

Also, can anyone recommend an exit point from the WW and a route to Lug?

Can the stream water along the WW be drank? Would I need Aquatabs (or equivalent)?

I'm a competent walker/hiker, understand how to use a map & compass, have good outdoor clothing & equipment, and am reasonably fit. I'd be tied to a Monday late-morning start, and would need to be back in north county Dublin by 5pm on the Friday.

I'd consider tackling the WW from south to north, to be sure I do get to summit Lug, but I kind of like the idea of having the satisfaction of hitting the highest point toward the end of the trip. That said, if it made more sense to move south to north, I'd look at it.

I would be prepared to bale out anywhere along the trip if it looked like getting back by Fri 5pm was in jeopardy, so if heading north to south I might consider dropping in to the WW at a point that made ascending Lug more likely to be doable.

One more thing: are dogs permitted on the WW/WMNP? I'd love to bring my 1 year old spaniel/collie cross on the trip - he really loved our week on Cape Clear island this summer.

Thanks for any replies,

Mark

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

Mark#1 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm considering walking the Wicklow Way, or some of it, in a week or two, and would really like to hit the summit of Lugnaquilla while doing it. I'm not necessarily bent on completing the "official" WW route all the way to Clonegal, but summiting Lugnaquilla is a big desire. I guess exiting the WW at Glenmalure might suit me?
    Yep, probably best.
    Could also leave the WW at glendalough, and walk west, and then south to lug.
    I made it from Marlay Park to Roundwood on a previous WW attempt before the trip had to be abandoned due to my companion damaging his knee.

So aside from the legalities, can anyone recommend whether it's safe/wise/viable to camp in the Wicklow mountains for 4-5 nights on the trot?

Probably safe, in terms of threats from other people, or animals or whatever; be more worried about getting lost, walk off a cliff, run out of food etc.

You'd just have to carry a lot of food and stuff for 5 nights, that'd probably be a pain, but people do long hikes on the wicklow way all the time.
    Also, can anyone recommend an exit point from the WW and a route to Lug?

Can the stream water along the WW be drank? Would I need Aquatabs (or equivalent)?
    Probably taking a small risk by drinking the water, a lot of the WW is low lying, I'd bring tablets or other purification.
    I'm a competent walker/hiker, understand how to use a map & compass, have good outdoor clothing & equipment, and am reasonably fit. I'd be tied to a Monday late-morning start, and would need to be back in north county Dublin by 5pm on the Friday.

I'd consider tackling the WW from south to north, to be sure I do get to summit Lug, but I kind of like the idea of having the satisfaction of hitting the highest point toward the end of the trip. That said, if it made more sense to move south to north, I'd look at it.

I would be prepared to bale out anywhere along the trip if it looked like getting back by Fri 5pm was in jeopardy, so if heading north to south I might consider dropping in to the WW at a point that made ascending Lug more likely to be doable.

Cant comment on how fast you'll cover ground, depends on load, fitness etc.

There are regular bail out options in enniskerry (dublin bus) or glendalough (st kevins bus service) - check timetables.

One more thing: are dogs permitted on the WW/WMNP? I'd love to bring my 1 year old spaniel/collie cross on the trip - he really loved our week on Cape Clear island this summer.

In general, dogs are a no-no in situations like this.
    Probably explicitly forbidden, not sure, but regardless probably not a good idea in wicklow, wicklow way goes through a lot of farm land etc.

One final thing to say, be careful with Lug. Most of the WW is fine, but lug is tricky in bad conditions. Nav at the top is slightly tricky. Be a bad idea to approach it in bad weather, tired, with lots of gear, catches lots of people out.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Mark#1

Thanks for the reply - very helpful.

I hear you on the Lug thing. I'm not so intent on getting there that I'd attempt it in anything but good viz. Not too bothered by rain/wind - time outdoors can feel all the more fresh & "real" in bad weather.

Looks like Dodger'll have to sit this trip out :rolleyes: :-(

Time to get started on my lists... ;)

Thanks again fergalr,

Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I've camped at crone car park before and anywhere south of there'd be grand. I presume you'ld get there in a day from Dublin. I've seen people camp in the forest above Powerscourt waterfall, and by the banks of the Dargle another km on.

I've camped by the side of the road above lough Tay, at the western end near the big hairpin bend, and anywhere from the sally gap road towards Lough Dan in Forestry there'd be fine.

Camped in Glendalough, the rangers don't like you but if you're in late/up early it's fine.

I'd go up and over Lugduff to the pass( is it bohernacrow there's a sleeper path there now) and into Glenmalure, down either some of the forestry paths to bring you to carawaystick waterfall and the zig/zags or else down more broken ground towards Baravore ford and into the Fraughen rock glen.

I've seen people camp between baravore ford and the old youth hostel-- personally I wouldn't stop there and head up to the Fraughen rock glen and camp at the bottom or top of the waterfall-- I'd camp at the top given an option -- I reckon it's a magical place to camp.

regarding water-- I'd drink from the Dargle above any obvious campsite on the way,
    I'd either try bag some water from a house near Lough dan or hold on ti Laragh. There's probably good water by day at the opw place in Glendalough, or if you bought a drink or food in Glendalough, I'd imagine they'd allow you fill water bottles. Above Glendalough, I'd drink the water, and above Glenmalure Id drink the water.

You haven't mentioned where to after Lug. I'd drink the water down to Aughavannagh, or flowing out of Kelly's or Art's Lough

I've seen people camp between baravore ford and the old youth hostel-- personally I wouldn't stop there and head up to the Fraughen rock glen and camp at the bottom or top of the waterfall-- I'd camp at the top given an option -- I reckon it's a magical place to camp.

Just at the top of Fraughen rock glen is a great place to camp - far enough from the summit of lug that people on the main summit track won't come across you, or if you are up and away early.

Camped there a few years ago, amazing morning views.
    Picture%252520017.jpg

Can get very windy up there in bad conditions!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

whats the story about hiking in Wicklow when deer season (september) is on. is there any risk of getting shot?

• Advertisement

Fuinseog wrote: »
    whats the story about hiking in Wicklow when deer season (september) is on. is there any risk of getting shot?

Sh1te... that rules out hiking in my deer costume...

That's a sobering thought - being shot by mistake. I'd hope anyone who's allowed to use a gun is going to be able to tell the difference between a hiker and a deer, and wouldn't take any chances before pulling the trigger if there's even a wisp of a doubt that it's deffo a deer they're looking at?

On the water thing, I was going to carry two water bladders in my backpack - one 2l and one 1.5l. On top of this I was gonna take two 750ml bottles. I could probably get away with topping these up somewhere along the way, but just in case I do run short, I've had a look in a few shops & chemists for Aquatabs - aparrently they don't have a taste like the 2-part alternatives (one to purify, one to take away the taste of the purifier) - but I haven't found them anywhere yet.

We did camp at the top of Powerscourt falls on our first night when we tried it a few years ago. I'm not familiar with the names / places mentioned, but I guess what I need to know is, if I see a suitable spot anywhere to camp, can I just set-up for the night? My preference would be for remote places - not in hostel gardens nor near roads / car parks. I'd be leaving no trace of having been there - set up just before dark, eat & sleep, and be on my way more or less at first light, taking everything with me.

Fergalr - that pitch looks quite exposed! But I can see the views would be good.

My available time looks now like it'll be more limited than I'd hoped. It seems next week is likely to be my only window (back to work the following week), and I'm not missing the Pearl Jam movie in the cinema next Tuesday, so I'll only have from Wednesday morning till Friday afternoon, so I'll have to have another look at my drop-in & exit points. I could just drive to close to Lug and "bag it" (hate that phrase) in a day, but I do want to spend the few days in the hills too, with a climb of Lug possibly on the Thursday, camp overnight, and start heading back to the car on Friday morning. I guess I could do a loop from/to wherever I park my car - any suggestions?

Thanks for all your replies guys,

Mark

Sh1te... that rules out hiking in my deer costume...

That's a sobering thought - being shot by mistake. I'd hope anyone who's allowed to use a gun is going to be able to tell the difference between a hiker and a deer, and wouldn't take any chances before pulling the trigger if there's even a wisp of a doubt that it's deffo a deer they're looking at?

Such accidents have happened in Wicklow before, sadly.

I wouldn't worry about it though.

On the water thing, I was going to carry two water bladders in my backpack - one 2l and one 1.5l. On top of this I was gonna take two 750ml bottles.

Personally, I wouldn't carry more than 2l myself, and probably only need that much if camping for the night away from a stream. I generally just carry 1l, and find water frequently enough to refill it - plenty of water in wicklow.
    Each to their own.
    I could probably get away with topping these up somewhere along the way, but just in case I do run short, I've had a look in a few shops & chemists for Aquatabs - aparrently they don't have a taste like the 2-part alternatives (one to purify, one to take away the taste of the purifier) - but I haven't found them anywhere yet.
    I just use chlorine tablets, and then (optionally) a neutraliser - buy them in any outdoor shop.
    Loads of ways of dealing with water though - you can get a UV pen which doesn't change the taste at all, or even, these days, just a bottle with a cleverly engineered filter that will mechanically remove bad stuff. Lots of ways of making water safe.
    We did camp at the top of Powerscourt falls on our first night when we tried it a few years ago. I'm not familiar with the names / places mentioned, but I guess what I need to know is, if I see a suitable spot anywhere to camp, can I just set-up for the night? My preference would be for remote places - not in hostel gardens nor near roads / car parks. I'd be leaving no trace of having been there - set up just before dark, eat & sleep, and be on my way more or less at first light, taking everything with me.

Fergalr - that pitch looks quite exposed! But I can see the views would be good.
    Yeah, it was fairly exposed. It is somewhat sheltered by the summit of lug, but not somewhere you'd want to be on a windy night.
    That said, people do camp atop lug in very bad weather sometimes, and if you've a good tent, probably be fine.
    The tent I have there is a very small and light one, and its really low to the ground, so works well in the wind - although there's not really room to sit up in it!
    My available time looks now like it'll be more limited than I'd hoped. It seems next week is likely to be my only window (back to work the following week), and I'm not missing the Pearl Jam movie in the cinema next Tuesday, so I'll only have from Wednesday morning till Friday afternoon, so I'll have to have another look at my drop-in & exit points. I could just drive to close to Lug and "bag it" (hate that phrase) in a day, but I do want to spend the few days in the hills too, with a climb of Lug possibly on the Thursday, camp overnight, and start heading back to the car on Friday morning. I guess I could do a loop from/to wherever I park my car - any suggestions?

Glendalough up to lug is a nice walk in 2 days, and doable in one.
    If you park in glendalough, make sure your car doesn't get locked in.

Here's some route notes I made earlier:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=50577271&postcount=6
    (nearly six years ago - sheet)

One of the nicest hikes I've ever done was glendalough to table mountain, and pitched the tent on table mountain, and summit lug at about 1am in the morning, around the 22nd of december, with the whole place completely frozen, and a full moon, crystal clear night- didnt need head torches at all, and then walked back to the tent, which was thankfully still there!

Those are long enough walks though, best with not much kit.

Its also nice, and less long, to just walk up from glenmalure, as described earlier on the thread.

Got up Lug this morning. Totally engulfed with mist, but great to get there anyway. Started out from Glendalough visitor centre car park at 1:30pm on Thursday, walked through some of the Wicklow Way from there, summited a mountain after a short boardwalk - can't remember the name, but it could have been The Top something - I'll recheck my map tomorrow.

Walked on down toward Glenmalure, aiming to camp somewher around there, then hit Lug. Somehow found myself entering a forest, where I met two guys, one of who worked for An Coilte - he gave me a lift through some forest tracks, and dropped me on the opposite slopes to the Glenmalure side. Set up camp beside a brook (Madwoman's Brook, I think, according to my map).

Woke at 8am to dense mist. Took down camp and took bearings before heading for the top. Steep, some rocks/boulders to pass, very windy & misty. Made the top at 11:20am. Then the real fun started. Both legs were showing their displeasure with what I'd been putting them through.

I crossed Leohard (need to check my map for spelling), then followed a zig-zag path back down into Glenmalure and headed back toward the Spinc & Glendalough. Stopped twice for some rolling around in agony with both quadriceps cramping badly. What fun. Got back to The Top whatever mountain, then followed tracks back to the car park, meeting three deer on the way.

Totally under-estimated the trip and over-estimated my fitness level. I felt quite foolish to have done this alone, and I wouldn't recommend anyone to do it.

Prior to this trip, I'd been up the Sugarloaf and Diamond Head in Connemara. Lugnaquilla, on my own, as my first serious mountain trip was very much a stretch of my current fitness level & physical abilities, though I'm proud I did fine with navigation, despite the heavy mist.

Thanks for all replies here guys,

Mark

Advertisement